Nash to the Rangers.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

paddy
CC Veteran

Re: Nash to the Rangers -- in process

Post by paddy »

clem wrote:Sather held his ground on not giving up the Rags young stars (Chris Kreider, Ryan McDonagh or Derek Stepan). Howson looks to have finally buckled.
How do you sell this in Columbus?
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

paddy wrote: How do you sell this in Columbus?
Easy, you over sell the quality of the 2 young players (Anisimov and Erixon).

To be honest the deal isn't that bad. Not much sizzle but a good chunk of steak. Anisimov and erixon are both very good prospects and Dubinsky is a quality second liner.

The high end piece is obviously missing but the value is there.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Potatoe1 wrote:I can't believe how much cap space the Rangers have.....

I know Slats has made a few bad moves over the years but right now he has a very good team, lots of cap space, and a number of very good young players.

Things are looking quite good so now the writing is on the wall to give Shane Doan an absolutely crazy offer. You know Slats just cant help himself....
Hmmm they hafta re-sign Del Zotto and Stralman... and add one more dee salary??

Not sure how much that leaves them, but surely Shane wouldn't sell his soul for cash would he??

:look:

Okay, dump Raymond and Ballard, trade Lou..... OFFER SHANE a $12mil one-year contract! :rockin:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

They all sell their soul in the end. Weber wanted to play out his career in Nashville but with the pending changes to the CBA he sold his soul to the highest bidder, be that the Flyers or the Preds. Suter the same, going stay in Nashville but Minny came calling with his good buddy Zach and off he went. Doan wants to stay a Desert Dog but once he gets his mind around the fact he is moving ( should he move) he too will sell his soul.

And so they all should. Hell we'd do the same if we could. For that type of money I'd even move back to Calgary for long term! Yes, I did 3.5 years of penance for obviously pissing someone off before I got to come back to Vancouver.
The only HW the Canucks need
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

Potatoe1 wrote:

To be honest the deal isn't that bad. Not much sizzle but a good chunk of steak. Anisimov and erixon are both very good prospects and Dubinsky is a quality second liner.

They got more for Carter when Nash was the Face of the franchise...
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

This might be the best deal Howson could have gotten, but if you're one of the two CBJ fans in existence, this must seem like very disappointing returns after all of the posturing that went on.

I hope they have better luck handling this russian than they have with other russians in the past.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hank wrote:This might be the best deal Howson could have gotten, but if you're one of the two CBJ fans in existence, this must seem like very disappointing returns after all of the posturing that went on.
Yeah, I have to agree. You'd think Columbus needs somebody to help sell tickets and be the "face of the franchise" so to speak. Who is going to be that guy? Umberger? Johnson? Dubinsky? Maybe Johansen will be down the road, but not this year.

I think Howson picked up three player any team in the league would like to have, but it's hard to say he won when there doesn't appear to be much of that "sizzle" Pot mentioned anywhere on that team.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

paddy wrote:
clem wrote:Sather held his ground on not giving up the Rags young stars (Chris Kreider, Ryan McDonagh or Derek Stepan). Howson looks to have finally buckled.
How do you sell this in Columbus?
Beats me.

Columbus got quantity instead of quality.

A late 1st round pick, a D man who couldn’t crack the line up on a regular basis, a 2nd line forward, & a project.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

herb wrote:
Hank wrote:This might be the best deal Howson could have gotten, but if you're one of the two CBJ fans in existence, this must seem like very disappointing returns after all of the posturing that went on.
Yeah, I have to agree. You'd think Columbus needs somebody to help sell tickets and be the "face of the franchise" so to speak. Who is going to be that guy? Umberger? Johnson? Dubinsky? Maybe Johansen will be down the road, but not this year.

I think Howson picked up three player any team in the league would like to have, but it's hard to say he won when there doesn't appear to be much of that "sizzle" Pot mentioned anywhere on that team.
Luongo! :)
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

dbr wrote:Right now Dreger is saying it's believed the BJs will get four assets back and right now it seems Brandon Dubinsky, Tim Erixon and a first round pick are among them.

(How about that eh, Erixon holds out to sign specifically with the Rangers and within a year they've dealt him to one of the few organizations in the league worse than the Flames..)

Edit: Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon and a 1st.
As a Flames fan, karma is a bitch for Erixon. I'm very happy with the turn of events for the whiny little brat Erixon. Glad to see he's gone to a team that is at the bottom of the league.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

herb wrote:

There's a good chance they will end up picking McKinnon as the first overall pick in next year's draft. He will soon be the face of the Columbus BJs.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

paddy wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:

They got more for Carter when Nash was the Face of the franchise...
That depends on your opinion of the players involved.

I'm not a big Jack Johnson fan and I think Erixson is a top end prospect so obviously I think the return for Nash was was higher.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

The rule of thumb used to be who ever ends up with the best player wins the trade
cheers
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

It's a bad deal. No impact or strong prospect players leaving NYR. Howson gambled that he could get a better deal, and he lost, cut his losses. How is he still allowed to manage this team?
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Fred wrote:The rule of thumb used to be who ever ends up with the best player wins the trade
In the Deal for Nash, the other team was always going to get the best player.