Shea Weber Accepts Offer Sheet from Phi (14 Years, 100 Mill)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Shea Weber Accepts Offer Sheet from Phi (14 Years, 100 M

Post by clem »

Mëds wrote: .... The guy doesn't want to stay, well then WAIT PATIENTLY and give your GM a chance to make a move that will get you out of town AND benefit the team.
Follow Luongo's example?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The best part to me is if Nashville matches there is no NTC or NMC clause so they can wait a year or two and then trade him to the highest bidder anywhere . So maybe you don't trade him next summer but imagine the trade deadline after that or the year after that. They could get a king's ransom for the guy now that he is locked up for life. Apparently he has a gentleman's agreement with the Flyers that they will add a NMC but that does not affect Nashville if they match.

So you keep him for a couple of painful rebuilding years then trade him to a bottom feeder for half their roster. So Mr. Weber, your cup dream evaporated at $110 million. Hope it was worth it, I mean it is hard to take all that money I know but no cup!!

I really want Nashville to match. Then maybe there is still hope one day we can trade for Weber. :D :D
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:The best part to me is if Nashville matches there is no NTC or NMC clause so they can wait a year or two and then trade him to the highest bidder anywhere . So maybe you don't trade him next summer but imagine the trade deadline after that or the year after that. They could get a king's ransom for the guy now that he is locked up for life. Apparently he has a gentleman's agreement with the Flyers that they will add a NMC but that does not affect Nashville if they match.

So you keep him for a couple of painful rebuilding years then trade him to a bottom feeder for half their roster. So Mr. Weber, your cup dream evaporated at $110 million. Hope it was worth it, I mean it is hard to take all that money I know but no cup!!

I really want Nashville to match. Then maybe there is still hope one day we can trade for Weber. :D :D

Sean Couturier, Schenn + or Poile matches.

Basically no Couturier, no deal.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Another player seriously fell for the Flyers NMC gentlemans agreement?

They should talk to Richards and Carter about what that gentlemans agreement is worth. It's worth even less if there is no clause at all in the contract at any time (Richards and Carter were a week from having the clauses kick in....the agreement was they would never be traded before it did so).
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

tantalum wrote:Another player seriously fell for the Flyers NMC gentlemans agreement?

They should talk to Richards and Carter about what that gentlemans agreement is worth. It's worth even less if there is no clause at all in the contract at any time (Richards and Carter were a week from having the clauses kick in....the agreement was they would never be traded before it did so).
Exactly, I am still not sure why Weber chose Philly instead of Vancouver. Holmgren was a bit classless when he dealt Richards and Carter just before their no-trade clause kicked in.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Jovocop wrote:
Exactly, I am still not sure why Weber chose Philly instead of Vancouver. Holmgren was a bit classless when he dealt Richards and Carter just before their no-trade clause kicked in.
what makes you think he chose the Flyers over the Canucks?

The Canucks never made him a contract offer because they believe the Preds would match anything long term.

(well that's their story, my guess is Aquaman would balk at the front loading anyway)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Canucks never made an offer because Weber did not want to play here. He felt family and friends could prove to be a distraction to him. That and the Canucks felt the offer would be matched.

As for the water boy, he'd dropped the cash in a heartbeat for Weber.
The only HW the Canucks need
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

tantalum wrote:Another player seriously fell for the Flyers NMC gentlemans agreement?

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Then I realized he's expecting Philly will trade him to the future Stanley Cup Champions, and this is all part of the plan. :D
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jovocop wrote:
Holmgren was a bit classless when he dealt Richards and Carter just before their no-trade clause kicked in.
Classless? It's a business...that's why they call them contracts. Holmgren is allowed to do whatever the contract states. But nevermind that, Carter and Richards were paid fucking nicely in Philly and at the time were not acting all that professionally in the dressing room and away from the arena and their product on the ice left a lot to be desired.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:Canucks never made an offer because Weber did not want to play here. He felt family and friends could prove to be a distraction to him. That and the Canucks felt the offer would be matched.

Kind of the opposite of Hamhius, Garrison, Willie Mitchell, Brenden Morrison etc.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

RoyalDude wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Canucks never made an offer because Weber did not want to play here. He felt family and friends could prove to be a distraction to him. That and the Canucks felt the offer would be matched.

Kind of the opposite of Hamhius, Garrison, Willie Mitchell, Brenden Morrison etc.
For a local guy to come home to play, his confidence in meeting expectations (on & off ice) should be high. It's a good sign, for Garrison.

We'll see if security & playoff incentive (if on a non-contender) effects Weber's play long term. The almighty $$ corrupts.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Is this inside info ?
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

RoyalDude wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
Holmgren was a bit classless when he dealt Richards and Carter just before their no-trade clause kicked in.
Classless? It's a business...that's why they call them contracts. Holmgren is allowed to do whatever the contract states.
Nope.

What Holmgren did was clasless.thing to do.

Giving players your word that you wont trade them if they sign early, then moving them almost imediatly is incredibly douchey.

I cant believe Weber and his agent were willing to take a handshake deal with Holmgren.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
Classless? It's a business...that's why they call them contracts. Holmgren is allowed to do whatever the contract states.
Nope.

What Holmgren did was clasless.thing to do.

Giving players your word that you wont trade them if they sign early, then moving them almost imediatly is incredibly douchey.

I cant believe Weber and his agent were willing to take a handshake deal with Holmgren.
Holmgren is such a bad, bad, bad man. An evil doer. Like the players have always been loyal and class acts. What are you Pot, Tony Gallagher now, the players are angels and the GM's are bad people??? I'm sure with massive amount of money that Carter and Richards will be making over the length of their contracts thanks to the Flyers organization I would think that it will help them through this very difficult time in their lives.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Whoa, whoa, whoa wait a minute...I thought the elite players wanted to play here. Why the change?