Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby SKYO » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:34 am

RoyalDude wrote:You guys really do love Gillis...the love in the air here is infectious. I might have to start loving him too

I might have to start loving your HOLMGREN as well even though he traded away his eventual Stanley Cup winning players.

RD you loving LA's jersey colour Cup win sweat yet?
Last edited by SKYO on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby Boston Canucker » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:40 am

RoyalDude wrote:You guys really do love Gillis...the love in the air here is infectious. I might have to start loving him too

Actually, I don't, but you mistake people who don't hate him with people who love him, and thus you end up making one dimensional arguments that are easy to slap down.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Fred » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:09 pm

I quite like Gillis but I have to believe he's viewed with sort of rose coloured glasses. I don't see why he can't come under some reflection and review. He has a strong personality but like BB does tend to subtly talk down to the media .... and the media is the fans access to the GM. If he had a flawless record it would be more acceptable but he doesn't, he has his warts like every one else
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby dbr » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:02 pm

Fred wrote:I quite like Gillis but I have to believe he's viewed with sort of rose coloured glasses. I don't see why he can't come under some reflection and review. He has a strong personality but like BB does tend to subtly talk down to the media .... and the media is the fans access to the GM. If he had a flawless record it would be more acceptable but he doesn't, he has his warts like every one else

The discussion is on here is probably not an accurate reflection of most posters views because the whole thing is being framed by a guy whose been trolling the boards all summer long.. people for the most part are no longer just offering up their unadulterated opinions but instead are replying to the stream of hot garbage coming from one - uh, individual.

I don't think you could find a poster who thinks he is above reproach or has been flawless in his time here.

On the subject of Mike Gillis "talking down" to the media I have no problem with that, the media that actually get access to Gillis are almost invariably complete hacks.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:09 pm

dbr wrote:On the subject of Mike Gillis "talking down" to the media I have no problem with that, the media that actually get access to Gillis are almost invariably complete hacks.

Again, a classic example of Gillis getting a walkover when it comes to how he interacts with the Media. Gillis is probably the most condescending, pompous arrogant prick to the media that this city has ever seen. Every question he is asked there is always this long silent sigh or puffing of air like he is saying "fuck do I have to answer this stupid fucking question from you morons". I find it funny actually cause I pretty much can't stand 99% of the local sports media as well, but do not for one minute consider Gillis any better with the media than Burke.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:15 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jakub Voracek thread says hello.........totally understand why you don't want to go there though.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Meds » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:06 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
dbr wrote:On the subject of Mike Gillis "talking down" to the media I have no problem with that, the media that actually get access to Gillis are almost invariably complete hacks.

Again, a classic example of Gillis getting a walkover when it comes to how he interacts with the Media. Gillis is probably the most condescending, pompous arrogant prick to the media that this city has ever seen. Every question he is asked there is always this long silent sigh or puffing of air like he is saying "fuck do I have to answer this stupid fucking question from you morons". I find it funny actually cause I pretty much can't stand 99% of the local sports media as well, but do not for one minute consider Gillis any better with the media than Burke.

Two different approaches.

Burke intends to sound pissed off and wants the media to know he's pissed off, and if it is a stupid question he calls it a stupid question. So the media are more on their toes because they know Burke just might go all Tortorella on them and refuse to answer specific individual's questions.....after ripping them a new one.

Gillis tries to veil it somewhat, and answers the questions more intelligently than Burke with an exasperated tone because he knows the fool that asked the question is fully aware that Gillis isn't going to answer it. He also knows the media is looking for ANY and ALL controversy, potential or otherwise, that they can report on to sell as news. Gillis just tells them he's not going to answer the question.

Neither of them get a pass with their treatment of the press.....they both should get an applause for not pandering to the media's BS.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Fred » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:16 pm

I'll say this about Gillis I listened to him in an interview where he predicted some team might well over spend and need to get rid of players later in the summer or early in the season and he felt he could make some good picks ups at that time. Seems like Philly is well on it's way
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby clem » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:52 pm

Fred wrote:I'll say this about Gillis I listened to him in an interview where he predicted some team might well over spend and need to get rid of players later in the summer or early in the season and he felt he could make some good picks ups at that time. Seems like Philly is well on it's way

There's been ongoing discussion about how a reduction in allowable cap space could force teams (loading up on contracts over the summer) to unload talent, to teams with cap space & money.

This could also be seen as an excuse for not winning the bidding wars.

Time will tell.

http://www.hockeyworldblog.com/2012/07/08/new-cba-talks-could-force-gms-to-wait-before-making-moves/
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Fred » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:06 pm

That's a good article
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby Fred » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:46 pm

MG view of teh coming season and players

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/canucks-gm ... eam1040-2/
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby FAN » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:41 am

Fred wrote:MG view of teh coming season and players

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/canucks-gm ... eam1040-2/

Thanks I missed this.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Lancer » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:36 am

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/07/23/canucks-president-mike-gillis-opens-up-part-i-the-defence/

“We’ve got a couple of young players we really like – Kevin Connauton and we think this young guy, Frankie Corrado, who unfortunately has a year of junior left, he went to Chicago last year and Craig MacTavish loved him. He’s a very good young player, a right-hand shot, skates well with good size.
“He played very well on his junior team, which wasn’t a very strong team, and when he got to Chicago he got right into the lineup and played a regular shift.
“He’ll have an opportunity.” On why the Canucks gave up so fast on Marc-Andre Gragnani: “It wasn’t so much that we gave up on him, he just didn’t seem a fit for us.
“When we acquired him we were looking for a specific skill set that we thought he possessed, we thought he could help us with. At the end of the day we thought Kevin Connauton’s development in Chicago rivalled that of Marc-Andre.
“He’s a guy we drafted and who we have very high hopes for, he’s a bigger player, he skates extremely well, he’s got great offence. We felt, at the end of the day, we’d be better off giving him an opportunity.”

Gillis seems very high on Connauton. Evidently they thought his development has overtaken Gragnani, as well that they apparently overestimated how fast Gragnani could climb the learning curve of playing the Canucks' system. I guess you could look at it as a better way to go and let Gragnani find his opportunities elsewhere rather than keeping him on the payroll and burying him in the minors because someone else climbed over him on the depth chart. I'm thinking there's a very real chance Connauton could be a 7th defenceman to ease him into the line-up if he impresses in training camp.

Also interesting to see the love for Corrado. I saw him a couple of times watching 67's games and he seemed significantly more polished on the ice compared to many of his blueline peers. Frankly was quietly pleased with that selection, but good to hear that an NHL-calibre coach like MacT, as well as the organization, think highly of him. Too bad he has to go back to a weak Sudbury team. He may turn out to be a Bieksa 2.0 - for better or worse :lol:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Fred » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:56 am

Lancer wrote:[Gillis seems very high on Connauton. Evidently they thought his development has overtaken Gragnani, as well that they apparently overestimated how fast Gragnani could climb the learning curve of playing the Canucks' system. I guess you could look at it as a better way to go and let Gragnani find his opportunities elsewhere rather than keeping him on the payroll and burying him in the minors because someone else climbed over him on the depth chart. I'm thinking there's a very real chance Connauton could be a 7th defenceman to ease him into the line-up if he impresses in training camp.

Also interesting to see the love for Corrado. I saw him a couple of times watching 67's games and he seemed significantly more polished on the ice compared to many of his blueline peers. Frankly was quietly pleased with that selection, but good to hear that an NHL-calibre coach like MacT, as well as the organization, think highly of him. Too bad he has to go back to a weak Sudbury team. He may turn out to be a Bieksa 2.0 - for better or worse :lol:

The first time i watched Corrado in the prospects game I was really impressed. Smart beyond his years, he's going to be a better Bieska IMO, assuming he can add some muscle
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby clem » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:10 pm

It seems Gillis thinks Weber's contract emphasis didn't go far beyond money, & that Holmgren is a bit of a goof.

It was quite clear, at the end of the day, what the objectives were..
To take advantage of the current system, and to maximize his economic return...

"why he didn’t take a flier like Philadelphia general manager Paul Holmgren"
I guess that’s one school of thought. To me I’d rather be trying to accomplish things rather than, ‘Okay, throw something up in the air and hope that it sticks'

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/mike-gillis-talks-weber-doan-and-luongo/article4436168/?service=mobile
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat