Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Holmgren is proactive, Gillis is asleep at the wheel, living off of the hardwork of past regimes. Like Gillis, Holmgren got his team to the finals only to lose to Chicago, Gillis lost to Boston. Like Gillis, the following year after going to the finals the Flyers got ousted from the playoffs early. Unlike Gillis, Holmgren got out his little friend and start shooting. Down goes Carter, Down goes Richards. Gillis is too busy at his BBQ in Kerrisdale making rib eye steaks and drinking loads of beer like everything is peachy.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

RoyalDude wrote:Holmgren is proactive, Gillis is asleep at the wheel, living off of the hardwork of past regimes. Like Gillis, Holmgren got his team to the finals only to lose to Chicago, Gillis lost to Boston. Like Gillis, the following year after going to the finals the Flyers got ousted from the playoffs early. Unlike Gillis, Holmgren got out his little friend and start shooting. Down goes Carter, Down goes Richards. Gillis is too busy at his BBQ in Kerrisdale making rib eye steaks and drinking loads of beer like everything is peachy.
And the result of all those moves was losing in 5 games in Round 2 this year. Proactive, cool, unless they're dumb moves, and results, not so much. Nothing you say has anything to do with results, it's all bright lights, big city...it does wow the tourists I'll grant. Hey Ilya, tell us more about the universe will ya...
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:Unlike Gillis, Holmgren got out his little friend and start shooting. Down goes Carter, Down goes Richards.
They traded those contracts, so they can get, wait for it, the awesome mighty titan Bryzgalov, whom they probably want to bury in the AHL now.

And what team did Carter and Richards just help win a Cup for again?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Boston Canucker wrote: I find your constant drooling over Holmgren's balls rather funny
Dude doesn't realize it, but it's CLARKIE'S BALLS he hungers for!

Yup, THINK ABOUT IT, twas Bobby Clarke wot pushed the Weber offer-sheet idea (you heard it here first).

So would folks like the Dude be happier if Ballsie Clarke were GM of their Vancouver Canucks?

Well that's a question for another spacetime one supposes....

Gillis has proven he's not afraid to offer up offer sheets in the past.

If MG offer-sheeted Weber AND GOT HIM, Royal perpetually-worried-about-the-future Dude

... would just die with no 1st round picks for 4 years! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:BTW, I am not an island when it comes to being anti-Gillis. There is a 9 page thread that was started a couple days ago, post Philly offer sheet on Weber, at the Canucks Board at the Hockeysfuture website titled 'Anyone Else Getting Tired of Gillis?'
Did you read the thread? Most of it is people bitchslapping - uh, individuals :look: - like yourself.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You guys really do love Gillis.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dbr wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:BTW, I am not an island when it comes to being anti-Gillis. There is a 9 page thread that was started a couple days ago, post Philly offer sheet on Weber, at the Canucks Board at the Hockeysfuture website titled 'Anyone Else Getting Tired of Gillis?'
Did you read the thread? Most of it is people bitchslapping - uh, individuals :look: - like yourself.
Yes, I read it, it's a fantastic thread, DanBobRob.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Milbury and Keenan beat the brass balls schtick into the ground to no results 10 years ago. Looking back, it made for intersesting summers but inevitably weaker teams. Now they're doing commentary.
I'm thinking Holmgren wishes he still had Carter/ Richards and hadn't blown his wad on Bryzgalov. Holmgren is constantly changing his teams chemistry which keeps fans on the edge of their seats and probably has alot to do with why he does it.
winning GMs like Holland and Shero stay the course, add when the opportunity arises but typically don't flitter around the NHL moving core players every 11 months.
Gillis is following this winning success model and if fans can appreciate this, will probably spend alot less time wringing their hands and more time enjoying their summers.
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You guys really do love Gillis...the love in the air here is infectious. I might have to start loving him too
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

RoyalDude wrote:You guys really do love Gillis...the love in the air here is infectious. I might have to start loving him too
It's really not a matter of loving the guy at all.

As far as I'm concerned, and I dont think I'm alone here, Gillis is a member of my Vancouver Canucks and I will cheer and wish the best for anyone that dons the jersey or is working in some capacity towards the success of my team. I understand that nobody is perfect and I will support the moves, or lack of, as long as he is a member of this team.

As soon as someone leaves this team, for whatever reason, they are no longer helping the cause but rather working to prevent the Canucks from winning. Which is why they can kindly go and fuck themselves!

I'm not sure why it's hard to understand why most of us support the players and management when they are here and will turn on them as soon as they leave. Seems fairly logical to me.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

LOL RD I can create a 9 page thread easy on HF, say Mason Raymond for a 2nd rounder...

.....20 pages later..
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Aaronp18 wrote:
I'm not sure why it's hard to understand why most of us support the players and management when they are here and will turn on them as soon as they leave. Seems fairly logical to me.
I support the team, and the people contributing to it's success.

Opportunities to replace personnel with those that will increase our success should be taken.

Long service & character is appreciated, whether someone is still with the organization, or not.

Blind faith R not me.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:You guys really do love Gillis...the love in the air here is infectious. I might have to start loving him too
I might have to start loving your HOLMGREN as well even though he traded away his eventual Stanley Cup winning players.

RD you loving LA's jersey colour Cup win sweat yet?
Last edited by SKYO on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Actually, I don't, but you mistake people who don't hate him with people who love him, and thus you end up making one dimensional arguments that are easy to slap down.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I quite like Gillis but I have to believe he's viewed with sort of rose coloured glasses. I don't see why he can't come under some reflection and review. He has a strong personality but like BB does tend to subtly talk down to the media .... and the media is the fans access to the GM. If he had a flawless record it would be more acceptable but he doesn't, he has his warts like every one else
cheers