RFA Voracek

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rede
CC Veteran

Re: RFA Voracek

Post by Rede »

Hockey Widow wrote:He is on LTIR, they get cap relief. If he cannot play anymore I doubt he retires. He will stay on LTIR to collect his insurance/salary and the Flyers can utilize his cap space.

We do know he won't start the season. He is a player with long layoffs before, one where everyone thought his career was done then. I can see him testing the waters in the New Year and seeing if he still has it. Of course if he can't play then he can't play but the Flyers will be fine.
I think the only downside is that he counts against the cap+10% off season cap each year.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Hmmm Nashville can always take Pronger if they let Weber go in order to get some salary towards the cap floor.

So they let Weber walk, take the 4 first rounders trade a couple back for something like Couturier, Meszaros and Pronger. Gives them some cap hit salary a decent young d-man in Meszaros and a blue chipper in Couturier.

Philly gets Weber, who evidently wants to play there anyways, and rids themselves of Pronger's cap hit concern over the summer.

So essentially it's Weber for Pronger's contract, Couturier, Meszaros and 2 - 1st rounders.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Aaronp18 wrote:So essentially it's Weber for Pronger's contract, Couturier, Meszaros and 2 - 1st rounders.
Well I'm sure acquiring a future Hall of Famer would be good news for the Predators ticket sales..
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

dbr wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:So essentially it's Weber for Pronger's contract, Couturier, Meszaros and 2 - 1st rounders.
Well I'm sure acquiring a future Hall of Famer would be good news for the Predators ticket sales..
That'd be mint, Pronger, property of the Preds, sitting in Sniders luxury box cheering on the Flyers.
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

donlever wrote:
dbr wrote:
That'd be mint, Pronger, property of the Preds, sitting in Sniders luxury box cheering on the Flyers.
The Preds might as well make Pronger captain as well.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Aaronp18 wrote:Hmmm Nashville can always take Pronger if they let Weber go in order to get some salary towards the cap floor.

So they let Weber walk, take the 4 first rounders trade a couple back for something like Couturier, Meszaros and Pronger. Gives them some cap hit salary a decent young d-man in Meszaros and a blue chipper in Couturier.

Philly gets Weber, who evidently wants to play there anyways, and rids themselves of Pronger's cap hit concern over the summer.

So essentially it's Weber for Pronger's contract, Couturier, Meszaros and 2 - 1st rounders.
Pronger is Due 7.2 mill the year, I don't think the Preds will want that on the books when he wont even play.

They would be better off taking over paid but somewhat useful players over guys who wont play at all.

Scott Gomez for example would be a good fit.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Potatoe1 wrote: Pronger is Due 7.2 mill the year, I don't think the Preds will want that on the books when he wont even play.
What if Pronger just retires right after being moved to Nashville?

Preds wouldn't have to pay him but the cap hit would still be there.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: Pronger is Due 7.2 mill the year, I don't think the Preds will want that on the books when he wont even play.
What if Pronger just retires right after being moved to Nashville?

Preds wouldn't have to pay him but the cap hit would still be there.
Why would Pronger retire when he's still got 25+ mill left on his contract?

He has a legit injury and a NMC so he is just going to sit tight and collect his checks.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Why would Pronger retire when he's still got 25+ mill left on his contract?

He has a legit injury and a NMC so he is just going to sit tight and collect his checks.
Just because.

Then Philly can hire him as a "consultant" for the remaining $25M.

How badly does Philly really want Weber?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mondi wrote:
Mike Gillis and Brian Burke remind me of each other.

Either you build for the future or you go all in for today, but not both.
What a dumb post. it isn't an either or situation. ANY decent GM of a pro sports franchise HAS to look at the future as well as the present.

Just because the dude is serving pitchers of his kool-aid doesn't change the stench of urine in his jug.

Laughable how many people are mambo-ing behind this clown because they are too lazy to perform their own shtick.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Rede wrote:
Tciso wrote:
dbr wrote:Chris Pronger's NHL career is over, the Flyers have $5m more cap space than it appears.
I don't think they have the $$. Even with Pronger retiring, he has a 35+ contract. They are on the hook for him. As far as I can tell, they won't have a nickle to spend after Weber is signed.

"What's a 35-plus contract?

Players who sign multi-year contracts when they are age 35 or older (calculated on June 30 of the season the contract begins) count toward the cap under all circumstances, regardless of where (or if) the player is playing. The only cap relief is $100,000 from the player's cap hit if he is assigned to the minors after the first year of the contract.

CBA reference: Section 50.5 (d-i-B-5) (P. 203) " CapGeek.Com
What if he didnt retire but was on LTIR until his contract expires?
Why would he retire ? If he retires he loses the money owed to him and Philly would still have him on the cap. Its quite possible the contract is insured anyways so they might not be paying him anyways.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

He will count towards the cap but we all know that the Flyers, if up against the cap, can get cap relief for whatever his cap hit is. The only real problem is if he intends to come back. To reactivate him they have to have cap space so theoretically they could have cap issues down the road. But if they get Weber they deal with that when it happens.

Oh, if he really is done, great idea to trade his cap hit to a team needing to reach the floor, as long as his contract is insured.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

The Flyers have already done this with Ian Laperriere, the Bruins are doing it with Marc Savard; it's simply not a problem for cap teams to carry these players.

If I'm the Flyers I'd rather just hang onto Pronger unless someone wants to give me something of value for his contract.

Hell if he comes back this year healthy he's probably worth more than Andrej Meszaros or Nick Grossman and whatever scrub you have to get rid of to make room for him, and next year they've got Timonen coming off the books as well.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Boston Canucker wrote: Four years ago, Burke and Gillis took over teams that had missed the playoffs, and since then the results of their work could not be more different. Yes, of course, Gillis came in with more to work with,
Just lightly brush over this like these two scenario's were very similar. The only similarities were the team, i.e. the Canucks. Burke took over a total fucking mess, Gillis took over a situation here where the Canucks had star quality in all positions, players who were on the verge of hitting their prime. I can only imagine how Burke must feel to see the twins hit their absolute prime under Gillis after the miraculous dealmaking he made on that faithful draft day. I can only imagine if Burke was blessed like Gillis was blessed with having top notch goaltending to go along with the Sedins hitting their prime, along Kesler and Burrows and Edler and Bieksa etc.

You want a fair comparison between Burke and Gillis, compare the situation Burke took over in Anaheim to the situation Gillis took over here. Very similar in fact. Star players in place, just needing a couple tweaks here and there, ie Neidermeyer, Pronger, Selanne and Beauchemin to Hamhius, Erhoff etc.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote: Four years ago, Burke and Gillis took over teams that had missed the playoffs, and since then the results of their work could not be more different. Yes, of course, Gillis came in with more to work with,
Just lightly brush over this like these two scenario's were very similar. The only similarities were the team, i.e. the Canucks. Burke took over a total fucking mess

I can only imagine if Burke was blessed like Gillis was blessed with having top notch goaltending to go along with the Sedins hitting their prime, along Kesler and Burrows and Edler and Bieksa etc.

You want a fair comparison between Burke and Gillis, compare the situation Burke took over in Anaheim to the situation Gillis took over here. Very similar in fact. Star players in place, just needing a couple tweaks here and there, ie Neidermeyer, Pronger, Selanne and Beauchemin to Hamhius, Erhoff etc.
What a crock of shit. Burke arrived in 98 to a team with a lot of assets.
Mogilny, Bure, McCabe, Ohlund, Hedican, Naslund, Bertuzzi , Scatchard, Aucoin( a 4th overall pick - Bryan Allen) and tons of good gritty players like Walker , Staois, Brashear and May. There was a lot of talent when Fatso got here..... no chemistry and not much of a "team" ..... but he had a shitload of tradeable chips to start a rebuild and guys like Bertuzzi, Naslund and Ohlund were already here. Fatso gave up good gritty players like Staois and Walker in the two expansion drafts and shit the bed three times trying to get a god damned goalie.
Because we had to protect Darby Hendrickson, Jamie Huscroft, Harry York etc. Staios and Walker only played another 15 years and both became pretty fair hard nosed players. But Burke is a fucking genius and he had NOTHING to work with when he got here.
This is too fucking easy.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”