RFA Voracek

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

RFA Voracek

Postby Tciso » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:21 pm

Philly's Jakub Voracek is a 22 yr old RFA putting up 50 points per for the last 3 seasons. If Philly gets Weber, they are hard against the Cap.

Should the Canucks make an offer? 3 years in the 3 million per range. Not a center, but a good young player for a 2nd round pick. Just out of Philly's reach, imo. I know they have tendered a qualifying offer, so I don't know what that does.

"$1,034,249 — $1,567,043: Third-round pick
$1,567,043 — $3,134,088: Second-round pick
$3,134,088 — $4,701,131: First and third-round pick"
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: RFA Voracek

Postby Lancer » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:29 pm

Why not? Depends on what comes out of all this. More dominoes in need of falling...
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby clem » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:10 pm

Voracek is interesting. So is the RFA option in general.

I'd prefer to go for the gusto. Offer Evander Kane 36m$ over 6 yrs, with a sizable chunk of that in bonus money.

We may have to trade assets to the Peg to have the deal completed, but he can definitely help us.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby RoyalDude » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:24 pm

clem wrote:Voracek is interesting. So is the RFA option in general.

I'd prefer to go for the gusto. Offer Evander Kane 36m$ over 6 yrs, with a sizable chunk of that in bonus money.

We may have to trade assets to the Peg to have the deal completed, but he can definitely help us.

Do you honestly think Mike 'the fence sitter' Gillis has the brass balls to make such an offer? He's too busy trying to find the next Manny Malhotra and Chris Higgins, real game breakers.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Boston Canucker » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:32 pm

RoyalDude wrote:

Do you honestly think Mike 'the fence sitter' Gillis has the brass balls to make such an offer? He's too busy trying to find the next Manny Malhotra and Chris Higgins, real game breakers.

He made an offer sheet to David Backes, so if he was interested why wouldn't he?

As it concerns Kane, whether he is worth such a deal right now is seriously open to question.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby SKYO » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:44 pm

Obviously Nashville will retaliate and sign Voracek to a 5 year - $4.5M per offersheet, as soon as they match Weber's offersheet.
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby Jovocop » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:55 pm

SKYO wrote:Obviously Nashville will retaliate and sign Voracek to a 5 year - $4.5M per offersheet, as soon as they match Weber's offersheet.

Not just Nashville, but other GMs should try to sign Philly's RFA now.
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Mondi » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:30 pm

RoyalDude wrote:

Mike Gillis and Brian Burke remind me of each other.

Either you build for the future or you go all in for today, but not both.
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby surreal78 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:05 am

Boston Canucker wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:o you honestly think Mike 'the fence sitter' Gillis has the brass balls to make such an offer? He's too busy trying to find the next Manny Malhotra and Chris Higgins, real game breakers.

He made an offer sheet to David Backes, so if he was interested why wouldn't he?

As it concerns Kane, whether he is worth such a deal right now is seriously open to question.

Hey, conveniently forgetting important facts is part of the game here!

On that note, I think we're missing Boothus Christ and Baltard references. 8-)

Seriously, though, Voracek has always impressed me. Good numbers for a young guy, too. However much I'd like this to happen, nothing is going down until after Weber and Doan are done.
surreal78

Postby FAN » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:08 am

Mondi wrote:Mike Gillis and Brian Burke remind me of each other.

How so? Care to name some moves where Gillis went all in for today and some moves where he built for the future? Not exactly sure what you're getting at.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Boston Canucker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:04 am

Mondi wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

Mike Gillis and Brian Burke remind me of each other.

Four years ago, Burke and Gillis took over teams that had missed the playoffs, and since then the results of their work could not be more different. Yes, of course, Gillis came in with more to work with, but after 4 years he's got four div titles, 2 pres trophies, and as we tragically know, 1 game short of the Cup. We want more, as we should, but Burkey in 4 seasons can't even make the playoffs and seems to not even know what his plan is.

I've got issues with a number of Gillis' moves (Kassian better be the real deal, cause I'm not happy about losing Coho), but in the end this is a results based business, after 4 years (enough time for a GM to make a difference I'd suggest) Gillis is getting them and Burke is not...I also think the build or go all in is a false dichotomy, Detroit has both built and cup contended for years; the idea that you have to choose is false.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby dbr » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:07 am

Chris Pronger's NHL career is over, the Flyers have $5m more cap space than it appears.

And as much as I like Jakub Voracek (big guy, good along the walls, distributes the puck well - sounds like a great fit with Kesler and Booth) it would take $5m or more to have the Flyers even thinking about allowing him to walk and I don't think he'll be worth that money any time soon.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Lancer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:00 am

dbr wrote:Chris Pronger's NHL career is over, the Flyers have $5m more cap space than it appears.

And as much as I like Jakub Voracek (big guy, good along the walls, distributes the puck well - sounds like a great fit with Kesler and Booth) it would take $5m or more to have the Flyers even thinking about allowing him to walk and I don't think he'll be worth that money any time soon.

Depending on what the new CBA looks like, a $5 mill/yr contract for a young forward like Voracek may or may not seem reasonable. That said, considering what Holmgren's done and the calibre of team he may have if Weber does go to Philly it might be worth it for Gillis to throw a $4-5 mill/yr deal at Voracek even if only to screw Holmgren's cap state when they match. Given that the new CBA may radically close the RFA options, you may as well fuck with Holmgren while you have the option to do so. He seemingly has no compunctions about doing the same to others.

Worse comes to worst, you have a big young forward with skills who could be a good fit on the 2nd line.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Tciso » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:06 am

dbr wrote:Chris Pronger's NHL career is over, the Flyers have $5m more cap space than it appears.

I don't think they have the $$. Even with Pronger retiring, he has a 35+ contract. They are on the hook for him. As far as I can tell, they won't have a nickle to spend after Weber is signed.

"What's a 35-plus contract?

Players who sign multi-year contracts when they are age 35 or older (calculated on June 30 of the season the contract begins) count toward the cap under all circumstances, regardless of where (or if) the player is playing. The only cap relief is $100,000 from the player's cap hit if he is assigned to the minors after the first year of the contract.

CBA reference: Section 50.5 (d-i-B-5) (P. 203) " CapGeek.Com
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Rede » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:07 am

Tciso wrote:

I don't think they have the $$. Even with Pronger retiring, he has a 35+ contract. They are on the hook for him. As far as I can tell, they won't have a nickle to spend after Weber is signed.

"What's a 35-plus contract?

Players who sign multi-year contracts when they are age 35 or older (calculated on June 30 of the season the contract begins) count toward the cap under all circumstances, regardless of where (or if) the player is playing. The only cap relief is $100,000 from the player's cap hit if he is assigned to the minors after the first year of the contract.

CBA reference: Section 50.5 (d-i-B-5) (P. 203) " CapGeek.Com

What if he didnt retire but was on LTIR until his contract expires?
Rede
CC Veteran

Next

Return to Canucks Corner Chat