Shea Weber Accepts Offer Sheet from Phi (14 Years, 100 Mill)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Shea Weber Accepts Offer Sheet from Phi (14 Years, 100 M

Post by mathonwy »

Absolutely wow.

Holmgren with the biggest balls of them all.

Detroit's defense looking weaker and weaker...

Good news for the rest of the conference though.

We all knew the Nucks had no chance at landing Weber. There were so many other teams with weaker defenses than ours and with more cap space than we can afford to spend.

And Holmgren gets tired of playing games and stopped the bidding process with a cool hundred mil.

A hundred million dollars is a very sexy number.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

WTF?

Nashville will obviously match, and Weber is locked up as a Pred. :eh:

It would have made more sense for him just to go to arbitration for a 1 yr deal......
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Nashville's owners hopefully pay up, especially after the loss of Suter, Hamhuis before that.

The ownership just have to suck it up and overpay big time for the few first years of the massive contract and then it will stabilize a tad down the last 7-9 years of the contract. I'm assuming.

$7.15M per cap hit isn't too shabby for Weber's skill set.

And now re-signing Edler becomes a top priority from here on out.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

SKYO wrote:$7.15M per cap hit isn't too shabby for Weber's skill set.
Maybe now but still if he's in his late 30ies 'til 41?
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Dreams die pretty quick around here. More coming in from Dreger, a little surprised Canucks weren't one of the "big players". Gillis should be sacrificing his left nut for Weber.

Darren Dreger:
I'm trying to go back to bed. More info coming in. Philly, NYR, Detroit and San Jose were big players in Weber trade scenarios.
Last edited by $lacker on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Cookie La Rue wrote:
SKYO wrote:$7.15M per cap hit isn't too shabby for Weber's skill set.
Maybe now but still if he's in his late 30ies 'til 41?
I thought 40 years of age was the last year for a long term contract?

It's risky signing for that long, but imagine all the glorious years of Norris trophy like play you'd get before that? overpaying an extra few years is not a big risk at all for Weber.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I think the fact that he signed that tells everyone that he doesn't want to stay in Nashville.

Question.....

If Nashville matches do they secure him for the entire 14 years or do they only have to honor the salary hit for one season and he can go UFA?

I wish Gillis had had the stones to pull the trigger there. The risk being run here is that if the NHL steps in and vetos it as cap circumvention, and what may happen with a new CBA. I wouldn't be surprised to see the owners and the league make a few concessions in order to get contracts shortened.....especially if they could include contracts signed during this off-season after the last CBA expired.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

SKYO wrote:I thought 40 years of age was the last year for a long term contract?
He's going to be 41 about a month after the contract expires.
Last edited by Cookie La Rue on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Mëds wrote:I think the fact that he signed that tells everyone that he doesn't want to stay in Nashville.

Question.....

If Nashville matches do they secure him for the entire 14 years or do they only have to honor the salary hit for one season and he can go UFA?

I wish Gillis had had the stones to pull the trigger there. The risk being run here is that if the NHL steps in and vetos it as cap circumvention, and what may happen with a new CBA. I wouldn't be surprised to see the owners and the league make a few concessions in order to get contracts shortened.....especially if they could include contracts signed during this off-season after the last CBA expired.
They have to honor amount and term. He's signing for 14 years not matter what happens (unless the NHL says there's an issue with the contract). If they really want to, there's nothing stopping Nashville from trading him after one year. Question will be how the contract is structured, and if they can afford the first year.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Mëds wrote:I think the fact that he signed that tells everyone that he doesn't want to stay in Nashville.

Question.....

Nashville can match the contract, meaning the exact same contract Weber signed with the Flyers - 14 years, $100m and change.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

According to this:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le4367867/

The average yearly salary would have to be more than $8.4M for the compensation to be 4 first round picks, if the term is 14 years.

If its less than that the compensation for Nashville just isn't enough. They need to match or just more their franchise to Southern Ontario and get it over with!

Damn was really hoping we could see Weber in a Nucks jersey at some point.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Weber is doomed with this stupid offersheet and never will be a Canuck unless a GM is going nuts.
Go to hell spoiled rat.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I would bet there's no NTC or NMC on this one so the Weber dream is far from dead.
Nashville matches and trades him to VCR in a year...

What's the difference if we waited a year then signed him as a UFA? We would have added a NTC...that's what.
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Gotta love Holmgren. Gillis take notice and bow your head you fence sitter.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I would bet there's no NTC or NMC on this one so the Weber dream is far from dead.
Nashville matches and trades him to VCR in a year...

What's the difference if we waited a year then signed him as a UFA? We would have added a NTC...that's what.
If it is true that this deal involves a first year salary of 26 million (maybe it is not, but that is one rumor about Philly did to make it harder for Nash to match) then I cannot imagine the Preds would match, shell out 26 mill for one year and then trade Weber next year to a team that then gets the benefit of a decent cap hit for Weber with one quarter of the salary of the life of the contract already paid out. No owner would agree to that.

This seems to be a blessing for Nash. they have to suck it up and eat that first big year, if that is true, and then they have their man for as long as they want. I cannot see a scenario where Nash does not match unless there is some sort of trade with Philly that can be worked out ahead of time, a big trade.