Tanev Development Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Tanev Development Discussion

Post by Hockey Widow »

Last season both AV and MG said they wanted Tanev to use his shot more. They said they felt he had it in him to produce more points and eventually get the PP time. But he has been reluctant to take risks offensively which has been fine up until now. I have no idea what his limit is but I think he has more in him if he can gain some confidence. But as long as he looks after his own end then he has a place on the team. First things first.
The only HW the Canucks need
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Obviously, management is ready to go with Tanev as they let long time favourites Salo and Rome walk. We're going to see a lot of the kid next season.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I think Tanev's development has been a sign of the mindset that AV has had the past couple of years. He trusts his vets and seems to give them a pretty long leash at times, but the noobs have to continually prove they're not a liability defensively. For guys like Tanev and others to develop their game, Vigneault has to start tolerating mistakes and risk-taking by the noobs as well as the vets - even if it means a couple of losses through the season.

Even with that, though, I would still see Tanev developing as a poor-man's Hamhuis - good as a #4-5 D-man on a good team. He still needs more meat on them bones. Isn't he training at Gary Roberts' fitness camp this summer?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Tater's Paul Martin comparison (not the Martin we saw last year) is a good one, and if Tanev develops into that type of minute eating d-man, then we're in pretty good shape on defense.

I'd still like to see the BEAST on D, but Garrison is a step in the right direction, and another step by Tanev could be a big boost to the blueline.

I wouldn't be quick to limit Tanev's offensive abilities, and physical growth. If Tanev can add some strength, his shot will improve and so will his play in the dirty areas.

I'd say his offensive ceiling is still to be determined.

Tanev has great poise, reads the play well and can really move the puck. He has solid defensive awareness, and gets the rush going by moving the puck quickly out the defensive zone.

He's much too hesitant in the offensive zone, but when he's assertive, he displays good skills and is very good at getting the puck through open seams.

As he matures, he'll be a player that will find himself on the ice with the Sedins with more regularity (not as a forward, I have to make that clear it seems).
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

I'm not high on Tanev anymore. I don't see much offensive upside and I'm not a big fan of the smooth-skating, efficient stay-at-home defenseman type when they happen to be slightly-built and have a nonexistent physical game. But Tanev is still young so it's possible that Tanev fills out and increases his compete level. At this point Tanev needs to carve out a niche. He could be a keeper as a cheap #5 or #4 complimentary defenseman though.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

[quote="coco_canuck"I wouldn't be quick to limit Tanev's offensive abilities, and physical growth. If Tanev can add some strength, his shot will improve and so will his play in the dirty areas.

I'd say his offensive ceiling is still to be determined.

Tanev has great poise, reads the play well and can really move the puck. He has solid defensive awareness, and gets the rush going by moving the puck quickly out the defensive zone.

He's much too hesitant in the offensive zone, but when he's assertive, he displays good skills and is very good at getting the puck through open seams.

As he matures, he'll be a player that will find himself on the ice with the Sedins with more regularity (not as a forward, I have to make that clear it seems).[/quote]

Totally agree with your assessment. He's have respectable offensive numbers (6-10 points a season), imo, if he wasn't paired with Ballard, Alberts or Rome all year, playing mainly with the 3rd and 4th lines. He'll likely still get Ballard this season, but....I am hoping or 3rd and 4th lines get better, and I also expect Tanev to earn more ice time with our top 2 forward lines. Then we can see what his real potential is. Love what I have seen so far, especially cool under pressure.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Tciso wrote: He's have respectable offensive numbers (6-10 points a season)
In what world is 6-10 points a season respectable offensive numbers in the NHL? Tanev has 3 points in 54 NHL games. If you include the playoffs, he's had 3 points in 64 NHL games. In the AHL, Tanev has 1 goal and 22 points in 73 games. Those are terrible offensive numbers for someone with offensive potential.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

FAN wrote:I'm not high on Tanev anymore. I don't see much offensive upside and I'm not a big fan of the smooth-skating, efficient stay-at-home defenseman type when they happen to be slightly-built and have a nonexistent physical game. But Tanev is still young so it's possible that Tanev fills out and increases his compete level. At this point Tanev needs to carve out a niche. He could be a keeper as a cheap #5 or #4 complimentary defenseman though.
He turned 22 years old in December! Holy shite Fan, cut the kid some slack. You are worse than AV when it comes to the rooks.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

FAN wrote:
Tciso wrote: He's have respectable offensive numbers (6-10 points a season)
In what world is 6-10 points a season respectable offensive numbers in the NHL? Tanev has 3 points in 54 NHL games. If you include the playoffs, he's had 3 points in 64 NHL games. In the AHL, Tanev has 1 goal and 22 points in 73 games. Those are terrible offensive numbers for someone with offensive potential.
In the AHL this season he had 14 points in 34 games which is basically the same ppg average as Kevin Connauton.

I agree his shot is terrible but his passing and offensive instincts are very decent for a young defenseman.

I don't think he will be the type who puts up a lot of points, but I think he is more then capable of contributing to the offensive flow while he's on the ice.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:
FAN wrote:I'm not high on Tanev anymore. I don't see much offensive upside and I'm not a big fan of the smooth-skating, efficient stay-at-home defenseman type when they happen to be slightly-built and have a nonexistent physical game. But Tanev is still young so it's possible that Tanev fills out and increases his compete level. At this point Tanev needs to carve out a niche. He could be a keeper as a cheap #5 or #4 complimentary defenseman though.
He turned 22 years old in December! Holy shite Fan, cut the kid some slack. You are worse than AV when it comes to the rooks.
RD cutting people some slack??? is like Hitler cutting some jews a some slack!

*** must have had some sleepy time here.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

One thing that has to be kept in mind with Tanev is his recently steep developmental phase.

His first year of Junior A hockey was in 2008-2009, he turned 19 in December of 2008.

The following year he attended R.I.T., and put up 28 points, 10 goals, in 41 games as a freshman. Very solid numbers for a freshman defenceman.

In 2010, Tanev joined the Manitoba Moose, after 91 games in 2 years between Junior A in Ontario and the NCAA. To impress how sparse that experience is, a few years ago, Hodgson played a little over 100 games between the OHL, WJHC, NHL exhibition games, and the AHL, in a single year.

Players like Hodgson who moved up the ranks as youngsters, have a wealth of experience at high levels by the time they reach the NHL, whereas Tanev really only had 41 games at a high level, which was the NCAA, before joining the Canucks organization.

Add in the fact that he's a late bloomer physically, who is still growing into his body, and you can see that Tanev is only at the start of his development, unless of course you're of the mind that his development has stalled and peaked, which realistically would be an idiotic conclusion.

Give this kid some time, there's a lot left to discover.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

CC You bring up some very good points. When you stop and think about it to make it to the NHL is quite an achievement. But it's plain he has the ability, great hockey smarts. I recall some giving me a bad time when I said he's going to be a player in his first call up. By the way although I've only seen Corrado on TV in propsects games I think we have another Tanev in the making, maybe better
cheers
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Even in just 54 career NHL games to date, Chris Tanev is already miles better than Balltard. The sky is the limit for the kid. He's young, he's big (6-2, 190-200 lbs) and fast. The Gillis Criteria.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Dudes massive...look at the shoulders and guns on him.

Daniel looks like an ex-Californian Governer comparably.

Keep it real Dude.

DeLevering since 1999.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

donlever wrote:Dudes massive...look at the shoulders and guns on him.

Daniel looks like an ex-Californian Governer comparably.

Keep it real Dude.

Daniel is also 10 years older than Tanev. I seem to recall, Leves, that the Sedins weren't Nordic Vikings when they arrived on our shores. Didn't he grow like 4 inches in a year or something, give the kid time to fill out. But hey, I guess I'm completely out of order and that I should know that Tanev is extremely limited after just turning 22. Me bad.

Tanev -54 Career NHL games to date. Lets write him off shall we.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:46 am, edited 4 times in total.