Summer Movies...what are you gonna see?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Summer Movies...what are you gonna see?

Post by Strangelove »

ODB wrote: Garbage Garbage Garbage!!!
Agreed Agreed Agreed!!!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ODB wrote: It left me aggravated for different reasons.

How the hell is she going to get to the builders planet? She can't get into their sleep pod thing. Does she plan on chilling out and filing her nails during the 2 year (or however fucking long it takes, long enough that the Builders went to sleep) trip? What about food and water? Or does the alien craft come stocked? Cookies n milk and all?
Well, she took the android's head, and he knows how to fly the ship and probably can get her into the pod (yes despite the MASSIVE difference in size and potential genetics between the builders and humans.....although, they do breathe oxygen).
ODB wrote: And while I'm at it. If you can build the androids to watch over the ship and crew during the trip why not take three or four and SEND THEM INTO THE ALIEN SHIPS instead of the humans. This way if things go wrong you can just leave them behind.

The alien breaks through the glass on one of the guys hamlets but the glass withstands the rocks smacking into it during the 200km an hour wind storm that hits. Really?!?!
That certainly makes sense, but how many people insist on testing something out right away and don't want to leave anything to technology? I know alot of people who put as much stock in experience as they do data and fact.....but I digress because I agree, it would make more sense to send replaceable drones.

Maybe it's like the block of wood or the bricks that can be shot with a bullet and maintain their integrity but a martial arts master comes by and blows the same objects in half using his hand.....granted, that "bullet" idea still lends itself to the rocks at least punching a hole through the faceplate.
ODB wrote: You gotta ram the alien ship with your ship because you travel 19 light years to make contact with an alien race but you don’t think it’s necessarily to have weapons of any kind on your spacecraft?

As a popcorn flick it was good. Logically... it was a turd! They were so stupid they all deserved to die!
That annoyed the hell outta me too. Not even a rail gun or something to deflect asteroids or meteors during transit through intergalactic space. Something sure didn't add up there.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ODB wrote:Sometimes it's hard to turn the brain off when the plot is so stupid.

Why did the builders... Engineers leave a star map to the weapons facility instead of their home planet? And why after 2000 years did nobody from the Engineers planet come looking for the guys that went to the weapons facility and never returned?

The chick pregnant with the alien clobbers two other crew members that want to put her in the sleep pod and get's a self cesarean done. Minutes later she goes back to the crew and nobody says a thing. Not a single question about what happened to the alien that was inside you??? Nothing about her beating them with a pipe a half hour ago! They just suit up and carry on as if nothing happened?!?!

RETARDED!
That first bit, about the star map.....good question. I'd almost bet the majority of viewers did not think that at all. I sure didn't.

Pregnant chick.....yeah.....retarded. I didn't even see the point of that other than to have a creature that could kill the builder. Absolutely stupid all around when it came to that.
ODB wrote: Another good one... The air seems fine... They all take their helmets off. Why the fuck would you take your helmet off on an alien planet. What good can come from that? You would leave your helmet on... you just would!
I'm not sure on that. Right now we would test the air samples in a lab for any environment that was potentially hazardous. A couple hundred years from now we might have the technology that can do that right there.

For me the big plot hole was when they saw all the "holograms" of the panicking builders who were trying to get away from something, that would have had me backing off until I could get an assault team in there with me and have a couple of ships in orbit with nukes ready to level the place. If that wasn't enough, the piles of dead bodies should have convinced them to bail.

So now that you have put a spotlight on the things I had tried to ignore and totally trashed the movie for me.....thanks for that btw.....I'm gonna just fall back on the old, "it's Hollywood, and without human stupidity, blind faith and fanaticism, and absolutely predictable drama, no movie makes it off the ground floor."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

On another note.....

Amazing Spider-man was quite good. Personally I think it was better than the previous 2 and a half (3 was just that, a half).

While I thought the first two were good, the lack of one Toby McGuire in this one was enough to put it over the top. Emma Stone is also a HUGE UPGRADE on Kirsten Dunst.

I also really like that they went back to a better origin story, and are sticking mainly with one rather than combining nearly half a dozen different imaginings.

Ohdee, if you haven't seen it yet, I hope you do soon so that you can point out all the flaws and ruin it for me.

Actually I won't care, outside of Nolan's Batman Begins and Dark Knight (and hopefully Rises), superhero movies are nothing more than entertaining popcorn flicks that usually leave you wanting a bit more, and often leave the diehard fan wishing they had done it better and included some trivial bit of "comicbook canon" that in reality wouldn't have made the finitest bit of difference to the movie.....and since I'm not a huge Spidey fan this was thoroughly entertaining.....you know, until ODB trashes it for me in a week or so. :P
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

LOL;

I did enjoy Prometheus... It was a good way to waste two hours. The 3D was well done. The visuals were impressive... Smoke a joint-n-go-with-it! Was Charlize Theron an android? She man handles David. No way a person could push an android against the wall and demand to know what her “father” said. Her father btw was what, 100 years old? He musta had her when he was 65??? Her medical pod is only programmed to work on men? She wouldn’t need medical help because she’s an android? But she does fuck one of the crew members off screen so it’s hard to say for sure?

Oh another issue... at the beginning of the movie they say where they are, distance traveled (19 light years from earth) and how long they have been in cryosleep (2 years). 19 light years traveled in 2 years??? I guess time slows as you reach the speed of light so that may explain how they traveled 19 light years in 2 years. It still doesn’t explain how they have the technology to travel at the speed of light but their weapons are circa 1940 flame thrower technology???

Anyway, it was fun but I just didn't think it was a good movie plot wise.

I had a buddy bitch about Spiderman saying it's the same thing. Get's bitten by a radioactive spider, straightens out the bully at school and the Uncle dies. Well ya, it's freaking Spiderman... What do you expect? Parker becomes Spiderman when he gets bitten by a radioactive spider. You can't change that. Suddenly Spiderman comes from space??? I bet Spiderman will be a good popcorn flick.

I'm going to DKR at the Imax... can't wait!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

ODB wrote: I had a buddy bitch about Spiderman saying it's the same thing. Get's bitten by a radioactive spider, straightens out the bully at school and the Uncle dies. Well ya, it's freaking Spiderman... What do you expect? Parker becomes Spiderman when he gets bitten by a radioactive spider. You can't change that. Suddenly Spiderman comes from space??? I bet Spiderman will be a good popcorn flick.
We took the girls to the drive-in on the weekend. They thought is was fantastic.

We let them nap during the day because the first movie doesn't start till dusk (9:30ish).

They watched Madagascar until they fell asleep, the Spider-Man came on and I was the only one to stay up for that.

Though both girls wanted to watch Spider-Man (they've seen the one with Tobey and like that one). I knew that it was geared more towards his upbringing and focuses much more on his parents but I was surprised, like you're friend, that the whole story was re-done.
It was better than the Tobey version, and it would likely be awesome in 3D but I saw it sitting in out mini-van. Don't know why they couldn't have gone into his parents story without re-doing the story from the beginning (ie. the spider bite).

Meh whatever, we had a good time and the girls wanna go back. Probably wait until they show Brave, the little girl in this flick looks like the cartoon version of my 4 year old!
Last edited by Aaronp18 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

So it is go to the movie summer for me (which, as some know, I generally don't do)

Hunger Games...mmm'alright

Avengers...Meh (but the popcorn and sour thingys were awesome)

Prometheus...off list

Spiderman...not doing again, wait for NetFlix

Dark Knight Rises...this weekend

Bourne Legacy...looking forward to
DeLevering since 1999.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

So my brother is a total comic book junkie when it comes to DC. Perhaps the biggest Superman fan I've met, but he's also a big Bats fan. Anyways, he tells me he read everything he could find on DKR's recent critic screening and that the critics gave it a standing ovation. I'm S-T-O-K-E-D for this show.....wish we had an IMAX in Terrace. Sigh.

Brother also says they are going to reboot Batman again after this. That is an absolute travesty.

I just marathoned a few movies here at work tonight.....nothing new, all out on DVD/BluRay.

Safe House. Quite entertaining, though badly predictable.

In Time. Again, predictable, but it was a pretty cool premise.

Atlas Shrugged Pt 1. Very good. The acting in it is a bit sub par, but the story is brilliant. I'm going to put the books on my short list.

Also loved Iron Sky. For a straight to DVD flick it was great. How can you go wrong with Nazi's from the moon who have future tech war machines but not the foggiest idea what a computer is. Loved when they turned the black guy into a white guy and he didn't even realize it.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Mëds wrote:So my brother is a total comic book junkie when it comes to DC. Perhaps the biggest Superman fan I've met, but he's also a big Bats fan. Anyways, he tells me he read everything he could find on DKR's recent critic screening and that the critics gave it a standing ovation. I'm S-T-O-K-E-D for this show.....wish we had an IMAX in Terrace. Sigh.
It is getting fantastic reviews. I read a review where they called the Avengers child’s play compared to TDKR. I've even read Oscar buzz. Apparently Batman get's broken. He's no match for Bane physically. He confronts Bane and gets rag dolled. Bane unmasks him! He also loses all his money. Gotham is fucked... all is lost and nobody can do anything about it. It's a very, very dark film. Financial melt down, terrorism and absolutely no way out.

The real cliffhanger is does Batman die... Does he sacrifice himself for the greater good?

I can't wait...
Callicles
AHL Prospect

Post by Callicles »

I'm really not a big comic book type guy and superheros are generally not particularly interesting, but I'm looking forward to the new Batman flick. I've enjoyed the more recent take on Batman (harsh whisper voice aside) because it goes to that darker sort of vision. I'm no expert on this, the only comic book I ever liked was Archie, but the darker version of Batman seems right to me. IMHO, he shouldn't be all good guy.

Spider Man, on the other hand, I have no interest in. Odds are high that my kids will drag me to see it, but really haven't wee seen this enough times?
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Got advanced tickets to TDKR IMAX. Wednesday.... No Fuckin Spolers...
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ODB wrote:It is getting fantastic reviews. I read a review where they called the Avengers child’s play compared to TDKR. I've even read Oscar buzz. Apparently Batman get's broken. He's no match for Bane physically. He confronts Bane and gets rag dolled. Bane unmasks him! He also loses all his money. Gotham is fucked... all is lost and nobody can do anything about it. It's a very, very dark film. Financial melt down, terrorism and absolutely no way out.

The real cliffhanger is does Batman die... Does he sacrifice himself for the greater good?

I can't wait...
Well Bane rag dolling Bats is a no-brainer. Bane is supposed to break him.

Bruce Wayne losing all his money is bullshit. Hope that's a mis-direction on the part of Nolan.

I don't think Bats dies. No way. To be honest that would totally trash it for me. Batman always finds a way, it's what makes him Batman.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ODB wrote:Got advanced tickets to TDKR IMAX. Wednesday.... No Fuckin Spolers...
Catwoman dies.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

If you like cheap and experienced hookers then by all means praise The Avengers & The Dark Knight.

If you like refined and intelligent women then go see films like Moonrise Kingdom & Safety Not Guaranteed.

Your choice 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)