Extend Edler or Trade Him?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Extend Edler or Trade Him?

Post by Potatoe1 »

coco_canuck wrote:
Obviously, if the return is a B prospect and a late 1st, or a solid 3rd liner etc., then I'd hold off too.
That is typically what you get when you trade a player like Burrows who is a year from free agency.

Like you I wouldn't do it.

If anything it is us who should be putting a package like that together and trying to add another quality forward.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The only way you trade Edler is if Weber has his heart set on finishing his career in VANCOUVER

.... AND Poile asks for Edler and permission to talk to Edler about an extention.

^^^^^ HIGHLY unlikely, so just give Edler a 6-year $30mil contract.

As for Burrows give him a 5-year $20mil front-loaded deal.

Easy peasy.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hmmm... I guess it really depends what we can get in return for him. I was always hoping he'd become that norris type D-man that we have never had, but his development seems to have stalled a bit. I like him and all, but last year's play (especailly in playoffs) left some big question marks about him. I guess if he's willing to sign for a bit of a hometown discount, it would make him a little bit more attractive to keep around.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Hmmm... I guess it really depends what we can get in return for him.
I would trade anyone "for the right return".

If you are looking at players who's value is greater to this particular team then others, Burrows might be at the top of the list.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Hmmm... I guess it really depends what we can get in return for him. I was always hoping he'd become that norris type D-man that we have never had, but his development seems to have stalled a bit. I like him and all, but last year's play (especailly in playoffs) left some big question marks about him. I guess if he's willing to sign for a bit of a hometown discount, it would make him a little bit more attractive to keep around.
Just relax, the kid is 26 and was depended upon to be our best defenseman in a season where the team struggled with not knowing what style of game to play. People really need to chill when players like Edler struggle from time to time. Ya don't go from a potential Norris trophy defenseman to a bum in a couple short months. The whole team went through an identity crisis at the last half of the season.

Is it me or is this city turning into not just a goalie graveyard but a defenseman graveyard as well. I can't wait to see this city turn on Schneider when he hits a bad stretch of hockey, "TRADE HIM! HE'S USELESS!"
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fred wrote:Trading Burrows to me is like trading Smyl. Rather than a part of the team he's viewed as a piece of meat to be moved. I'm not sure a lot of teams might like him
Don't kid yourself, I can confidently say that there isn't a GM in this league who would not love to have Burrows on their team. The reason, he's clutch, seems to have a nose for getting big game clutch goals, plays with passion and heart, gritty, is a leader, amazing hockey sense, great skill set and shot...etc.

I don't mind locking up Burrows for 4 years at 5.5 million. But Gillis needs to make that decision now, if not, some other team out there will have no problem throwing out those kinds of numbers at him come next July if Gillis lets him got to the UFA market. It's gonna be real interesting to see how Gillis handles all this, him and Burrows. In my mind those two players need to be locked up.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

8 million per for Edler for 8 years.... lock up your talent.

6.5 a year for Burrows over 7 years. - dude can skate and he will likely keep getting better.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Burrows will be like a lot of guys that are loyal. His first choice will be to remain a Canuck but not at a home town discount this time around. Who knows where the market for him will be in a new CBA but right now if he was UFA he would be getting easily 4.5-5 million over 4-5 years. Thats how crazy UFA is.

Edler too on the open market would be getting offers in the high 5's to 6 range over 4-5 years, easily. MG has to decide if either or both fit his long term plans. If they do then he needs to lock them up before they hit the market. Its that simple. There was a time he could have locked up Mitchell and Ehrhoff had he negotiated during the season. But in both cases he said he wanted to wait to see how the season unfolded. They both hit the market and neither was in the price range MG was willing to go to. If he waits on either and they get to July 1st it will cost a lot more to keep them if that is what he wants.

Correct me if I am wrong but elder is not yet eligible for a NTC right? Locking him up then makes him a huge asset to trade for a bigger fish.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The good thing for GMMG is that the new CBA could bring changes.

So Edler might wanna sign a 6-7 year deal before they're outlawed.

Burrows might wanna sign a front-loaded contract before they're outlawed.

In both cases the trade-off for GMMG would be a reasonable cap-hit.

Good thing Aquaman is rich. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

So you guys are confident with a D core of Hamhuis, Bieska, Edler, and Garrison going forward?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:No offense FAN, but Poile is not interested in Edler unless Edler is Extended and why the fuck would Gillis trade Edler if he was Extended?

I don't know, I guess I'm the only around here that heard Gillis mumble, "we need to get Bigger, Younger, Faster" Why is Gillis trading someone who fits that criteria?

It was not too long ago when this city was calling Edler one of the best defenseman in the NHL, he has a bad stretch of hockey and was not the only one on the team that did and now everyone wants to trade him???? Don't get it.

Personally, I like a top 4 of Edler, Weber, Hamhius and Garrison much more than Bieksa, Weber, Hamhius and Garrison.

If Gillis sticks to his mantra, Bigger, Younger, Faster with Bieksa's smallish size for a defenseman, since the league is going back to being big again and his age 31, Bieksa seems to be the odd man out here.
Well if Edler is extended and you can replace him with Weber (with the guarantee that Weber is going to extend here with Vancouver), then that is a no-brainer.

Seeing as you think Gillis is a moron, I'm surprised you think he should extend Edler, who fits that criteria, and call it a good idea.

Edler's 2 biggest failings? Inconsistent physical play that leads to inconsistent all-round play, and brutal puck handling ability at the point under any kind of pressure. Edler is our worst point man on the PP. He may have a big shot, but he's the most inaccurate shooter, doesn't make great passes, and often fumbles it and lets an easy puck get by him.

Your preferred top 4 is probably everyone's preference. Bieksa's NTC really throws a wrench into that plan though doesn't it. Same goes for him being the odd man out in the Gillis mantra.....
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Strangelove wrote:Good thing Aquaman is rich. :drink:

Wait until after the divorce :D
cheers
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: As for Burrows give him a 5-year $20mil front-loaded deal.
Only if Burrows wants it front-loaded. $4M/yr is a really good cap hit for Burrows when you consider what he brings to this team.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I'm totally relaxed. Like I said, I do like Edler and I don't mind locking him up; however, at the same time, if managment decides to go in a different direction and get a diff't guy, I wouldn't mind that either. A couple of years ago, I would of said Edler was untouchable, now I would say he's definitely NOT. I'd move him for the right guy.

I would also add that I don't think he struggled because he was "not knowing what style of game to play", I think he struggled because he couldn't handle the pressure of being the top dog on our back end. He was given the ball and every chance to run with it, but he dropped it. Sure he may have been injured a bit, but some of those mistakes he made in the playoffs were just mental ones that would of sent a rookie to the minors. I think Edler really missed Erhoff cuz Erhoff could play a lot of important minutes and take a lot of pressure of him. Edler is looking more like a #2-#3 D-man (more of a complimentary/support guy). Still a top 4 D-man on most teams, but not a Norris type all-star or the stud on the backend that most GMs would give their left ball sack to acquire.

RoyalDude wrote:Just relax, the kid is 26 and was depended upon to be our best defenseman in a season where the team struggled with not knowing what style of game to play. People really need to chill when players like Edler struggle from time to time. Ya don't go from a potential Norris trophy defenseman to a bum in a couple short months. The whole team went through an identity crisis at the last half of the season.

Is it me or is this city turning into not just a goalie graveyard but a defenseman graveyard as well. I can't wait to see this city turn on Schneider when he hits a bad stretch of hockey, "TRADE HIM! HE'S USELESS!"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Fred wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Good thing Aquaman is rich. :drink:

Wait until after the divorce :D
I've heard he's offered her Bobby Lou as part of the settlement.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.