Bald Ankles

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Bald Ankles

Post by clem »

SKYO wrote:
Is Georges Laraque not a option?
Gino thinks so.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Laraque will be 37 in December, hasn't played in the NHL since 2010 and in 08/09 and 09/10 participated in a grand total of 61 games combined.

Regardless of Gino Odjicks drunken ramblings it is tough to have a whole lot of confidence in Georges being any kind of a factor for your Vancouver Canucks in the upcoming season.
DeLevering since 1999.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Maybe I should have included one of those winky emoticons.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9459&start=120#p145443

The thought of big Georges lumbering around is kinda entertaining.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

I was sort of referencing the post above yours.

Your response was clearly sarcasm with or without the emoticons.
DeLevering since 1999.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

It's all fun & games - until someone pokes an eye, or an ego.

I preferred to think of it as more parody, less sarcasm.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote:Speaking of tough guys Weise filed for arbitration.
benkuzma
With grinder salaries rising, Canucks assistant GM Gilman not shocked Weise has filed for arbitration. Part of process, deal still possible.
Never heard of Rechlicz, but maybe he could be a cheap option.
SunGarrioch
Joel Rechlicz is the toughest player outside NHL. Averaged 6.8 PIMs and 2nd in AHL in 23 games last year. Teams would love to have him.
Is Georges Laraque not a option?
What does Rechlicz have to do with anything ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: What does Rechlicz have to do with anything ?
Could be a cheap tough guy.

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Callicles
AHL Prospect

Post by Callicles »

Maybe I'm beating a dead horse (I am on a hockey forum in the middle of July though, so....), but I was reading over the first few pages of this thread -- which date back to the spring -- and reviewing all the cries for vengeance upon Brown, Doughty and whoever else. Of course, at the time, I was screaming for a squadron of pirate ninjas to take to the ice to strike down the Kings as well, but in the cold light of day one thing is clear -- that's all far too reactive. This team needs to be proactive. The Canucks don't need to toughen up so they can decide to play tough when one of the Sedins gets smoked or the goalie gets run. They need to toughen up and play tough all the time so that instances of star players being victimized decreases.

Don't be so damn scared to take a penalty! Set the tone in October and keep it up all year. If someone wants to take a dirty shot at -- Keith's elbow for instance -- one of the Canucks' players, they should pay dearly -- in October, January, March. Knocking Keith's teeth out for elbowing your star player is a good penalty, it's a worthy penalty. It's a penalty you should not be afraid to take and one your team should happily kill. You don't start being tough in April or May when there isn't a team out there that fears you. I said this elsewhehere, but I'll say it again - Building a team to counter toughness with powerplay goals will NOT succeed in the playoffs. NHL officiating is laughable at best and resembles a roulette wheel in the playoffs. If you're counting on the officials for your teams' success, you will fail.
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Callicles wrote:Maybe I'm beating a dead horse (I am on a hockey forum in the middle of July though, so....), but I was reading over the first few pages of this thread -- which date back to the spring -- and reviewing all the cries for vengeance upon Brown, Doughty and whoever else. Of course, at the time, I was screaming for a squadron of pirate ninjas to take to the ice to strike down the Kings as well, but in the cold light of day one thing is clear -- that's all far too reactive. This team needs to be proactive. The Canucks don't need to toughen up so they can decide to play tough when one of the Sedins gets smoked or the goalie gets run. They need to toughen up and play tough all the time so that instances of star players being victimized decreases.

Don't be so damn scared to take a penalty! Set the tone in October and keep it up all year. If someone wants to take a dirty shot at -- Keith's elbow for instance -- one of the Canucks' players, they should pay dearly -- in October, January, March. Knocking Keith's teeth out for elbowing your star player is a good penalty, it's a worthy penalty. It's a penalty you should not be afraid to take and one your team should happily kill. You don't start being tough in April or May when there isn't a team out there that fears you. I said this elsewhehere, but I'll say it again - Building a team to counter toughness with powerplay goals will NOT succeed in the playoffs. NHL officiating is laughable at best and resembles a roulette wheel in the playoffs. If you're counting on the officials for your teams' success, you will fail.
Yeah totally agree. I have never seen the point of "not engaging after the play" if the opposition are taking liberties on your players during the regular season. It basically shows the rest of the league that it's open season on your top players. So what if a 5 minute major for beating the piss out of Keith results in a "L" on March 1 (or whenever it was). The Canucks would probably feel better about it and any opposition would know that the Canucks will not tolerate that kind of abuse. Brown et al from the Kings may not have been as eager to be physical in round 1 if the Canucks had set precedent here. Instead, you could see that with every physical engagement, no matter how small, he and the other Kings grew in confidence.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

It's Kassian's fault he is too limited.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Tanti09 wrote:
Yeah totally agree. I have never seen the point of "not engaging after the play" if the opposition are taking liberties on your players during the regular season. It basically shows the rest of the league that it's open season on your top players. So what if a 5 minute major for beating the piss out of Keith results in a "L" on March 1 (or whenever it was). The Canucks would probably feel better about it and any opposition would know that the Canucks will not tolerate that kind of abuse. Brown et al from the Kings may not have been as eager to be physical in round 1 if the Canucks had set precedent here. Instead, you could see that with every physical engagement, no matter how small, he and the other Kings grew in confidence.
Completely agree I think AV has them on a short leash. Who cares in a mid season game, that's the very time you establish your teams identity
cheers
Callicles
AHL Prospect

Post by Callicles »

Fred wrote:
Tanti09 wrote:
Completely agree I think AV has them on a short leash. Who cares in a mid season game, that's the very time you establish your teams identity
AV has certain guys on a short leash. If certain players take one penalty, they are in the doghouse. However, other players can take dumb penalty after dumb penalty and still get minutes. With AV it's not so much about having a certain standard that is too tight, it's having an inconsistent standard that causes players to be tenative (or if you're on the favourites list, to play with no regard).