Tanev Development Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Tanev Development Discussion

Post by Southern_Canuck »

I've been wondering if Chris Tanev tops out as a #4 NHL defenceman - cast in a defensively responsible role, mostly playing alongside a more offensively inclined defenceman (eg. Edler), and killing penalties...

Or

Does Chris Tanev start to excercise his offensive chops, topping out as perhaps a #2 NHL defenceman, playing at least second PP pairing while still killing penalties, and become a solid 2-way D?

What do you think?

I remember Tanev making an end-to-end rush which resulted in a Volpatti goal at the Prospect Tournament in 2010 (can't find video), and who can forget his unexpectedly great pass to Glass (who flubbed it) in Game 5 against Boston in the 2011 Playoffs?

2010 Prospect Tournament coverage

"Volpatti finished off a tremendous end-to-end rush by defenceman Chris Tanev at 5:21 of the second to give Vancouver a 2-0 lead."

I think Tanev has - so far - focused on his defensive responsibilities while breaking in as an NHL defenceman, but has yet to unleash his full offensive ability - perhaps he will show more this season at age 22?

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Tanev Development Discussion

Post by Potatoe1 »

I think second pairing guy who can move the puck and eat a ton of defensive minutes.

I don't think he shoots the puck well enough to be a power play guy, and he isn't physical enough to be a prototypical shut down type.

I think Paul Martin might be the best comparable if Tanev continues to develop.
Last edited by Potatoe1 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Chris Tanev looking to add offence

excerpt:
"Chris Tanev says his plan this summer is to work on his shot.

Good idea. It’s always better to be part of the solution than the problem.

Not that Tanev, a young defenceman with considerable up-side, is expected to fill the net for a team that found itself challenged to score goals down the stretch run and particularly in the playoffs.

But it can’t hurt his chances to play a larger role on the team next season.

Tanev, 22, has distinguished himself as a steady, stay-at-home D-man who makes an impeccable first pass and rarely commits a coverage mistake in his own end. The other side of it is that the 6-foot-2, 187-pound Toronto native, being a classic late-bloomer and late-grower, still needs to get bigger and stronger to be the complete package in the NHL. He uses terrific stick skills to win the majority of his puck battles, but more size and strength would add considerably to his game.

This, Tanev plans to continue addressing this summer, when he’ll train for the second consecutive off-season with fitness consultant Gary Roberts. Last summer’s work showed this past season, as Tanev was able to bring a more physical approach at times to his precision game.

What the future brings: There’s a feeling that there’s potentially more to Tanev’s game than the shut-down D-man we’ve seen so far. He was on the first-unit power play at RIT, but his shot at the NHL level simply isn’t good enough. There’s a reason why Tanev is still looking for his first NHL goal and that he’s only had the confidence to take 39 shots in 64 NHL regular-season and playoff games. More strength training this summer will help the shot, as will spending extra time working on it."

S_C
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Potatoe1 wrote:I think second pairing guy who can move the puck and eat a ton of defensive minutes.

I don't think he shoots the puck well enough to be a power play guy, and he isn't physical enough to be a prototypical shut down type.
Ha - it's funny that I posted those excerpts from a Blog right after your comments - basically Tanev agrees with you that he has to improve his shot, and continues to train with Gary Roberts to improve his physicality (although the blog's opinion is that he improved on his physical ability between 2010-11 and 2011-12)

(As an aside, I think this is also a compliment to your astute hockey knowledge)

Me - I think he exhibits some of the smarts and calmness of Hamhuis - not elite offensive skills, but still above average vision - so that would be my comparison.

S_C
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Southern_Canuck wrote: Me - I think he exhibits some of the smarts and calmness of Hamhuis - not elite offensive skills, but still above average vision - so that would be my comparison.

S_C
I agree, except I think Hamhuis shoots the puck better and is quite a bit more assertive on the ice.

Those traits will keep him separated from Tanev IMO.
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Yeah pretty much what you guys have said - if he wants to be a top 4 defenceman in this league he needs to bulk up a bit more (forwards must drool at the prospect of seeing him in their crosshairs). Once he gets this bulk/core strength, he doesn't need to be overly physical per se, but definitely needs to use his body to claim space on the ice. Right along the Hamhuis line of doing things. And obviously his shot may be one of the top 5 weakest shots from the blue line in the NHL.

One of the things he's got going for him is the poise and control under fire type of demeanour he has. Gives confidence to his teammates, coaches etc and his first pass is definitely above average.

With work I see him being a top 4 for sure. Vision and poise you can't teach, getting stronger, quicker, faster is something Tanev can work on.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

For a young player he has a big advantage with his hockey IQ. I recall Chara worked on his shot early in his career and it sure paid off for him. Bright future for Tanev maybe he won't become a offensive juggernaut but just as he is, he's a top 4 on most teams. A great astute acquisition, like getting a high end first round pick. If experience tells me any thing he'll put on weight with age :D
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Tanev is limited.

He and Balltard will be the reason this team misses the playoffs.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I do like Tanev and I think he'll develop into a fine stay-at-home/shut down type D man. I don't think he'll ever become a big points guy, but I do wish he was a bit bigger and tougher.
Blaster86
CC Veteran

Post by Blaster86 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Tanev is limited.

I missed something.
Scintillator
CC Veteran

Post by Scintillator »

Blaster86 wrote:

I missed something.
Not you. Blobby missed his Mëds... :shock:
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Scintillator wrote:Not you. Blobby missed his Mëds... :shock:
Hmmm... It's almost like Blob's and Bersnoozi's posts were somehow reversed...!

S_C
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

LOL

Listen Blobby Cat. I love Tanev. The kid is the real deal. The reason I feel that way, is Tanev has great hockey sense, you can't teach that shit, just ask the unlearnable David Booth. He doesn't panic under pressure and can move the puck out of danger with grace and ease, has head head up all the time when with the puck, can make long tape to tape passes and doesn't make those brainfart dumbass plays that you would see from time to time like Bieksa, Sopel, Mitchell, Lumme and Lidster would do. I see a good future in Tanev. I'm not worried about his strength nor shot, that will come with age. He's got the foundation, like Edler had, he just needs seasoning and confidence. like Edler, he doesn't realize how good he can be.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Tanev is a buck fifty soaking wet. Kid is a joke. He will be murdered in this league. Still can't believe he didn't confront Kyle Clifford after Clifford obliviated him two years ago. PUSSY !!! Trade his sorry ass while you can. We need to get the next wave going.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

tick... tick... tick...
____
Try to focus on someday.