Shane Doan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Post Reply
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9877
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Shane Doan

Post by Topper » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:27 pm

Arizona Ranch or Nevada Ranch?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Post by FAN » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:26 am

Meds wrote:Well seeing as Selanne just signed a one year deal worth $4.5M, and he's 42 years old, I think Doan's cap hit is going to be in that ball park. It likely won't be more than that though as Selanne out-scored Doan this year by 4 goals and 16 points. Doan still has a few years left in the tank, no question, but his production is not the same as Selanne's and he's asking for longer term. I think age versus style of play and production will alnd him in the same range.
It's probably wishful thinking. Selanne has been signing below-market value one-year contracts with the Ducks for years now. Given the players who have signed $4M+ deals of late, I think Doan will get closer to $5M+ or even more depending on the length of the contract and whether Doan chooses money.

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9501
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Post by SKYO » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:35 am

Aaronp18 wrote:
Strangelove wrote: It seems the REAL reason Shane doesn't wanna leave the Yotes is his ranch amirite? :drink:
Seems like an simple solution to me.
Get rid of the horses.
What is our resident hunter doing theses days?
:drink:
Get the Navajo's to steal the horses, boom problem solved.
:drink:
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1028
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:07 am

Re: Shane Doan

Post by damonberryman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:54 am

I think this might have been a good idea through trade a couple of years ago. Now we will pay too much for a very good player who is north of 35. Not good. Why did we not go after the Mueller kid in Colorado? He went to Florida for under two mill on a one year try out. This kid was sure fire not too long ago and before the head injury. Maybe Tallon should come home.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17603
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Shane Doan

Post by Strangelove » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:36 am

Aaronp18 wrote:
Strangelove wrote: It seems the REAL reason Shane doesn't wanna leave the Yotes is his ranch amirite? :drink:
Seems like an simple solution to me.

Get rid of the horses.

What is our resident hunter doing theses days?

:drink:
I could only stomach that idea if their are enough folks around who could stomach horsemeat.

And I believe there ARE so :thumbs:

Sometimes you eat the horse....
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17603
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Shane Doan

Post by Strangelove » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:39 am

damonberryman wrote: Why did we not go after the Mueller kid in Colorado? He went to Florida for under two mill on a one year try out. This kid was sure fire not too long ago and before the head injury. Maybe Tallon should come home.
Luongo + Gillis... for... Tallon?? :D

Actually, just can Gillis and hire Strangelove.

The Great Strangelove suggested doing EXACTLY that the other day.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:20 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Post by black ace » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:40 am

Starting to sound like he is going to stay in Phoenix. The Goldwater people are running out of roadblocks.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17603
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Shane Doan

Post by Strangelove » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:51 am

... so Black Ace, you were posthumously declared "2011 Canuck Central CFL Pool Champion" amirite? :drink:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1731
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Post by ESQ » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Strangelove wrote:... so Black Ace, you were posthumously declared "2011 Canuck Central CFL Pool Champion" amirite? :drink:
Umm, it should be BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion, sounds much more impressive anyway :thumbs:

User avatar
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Post by coco_canuck » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:36 pm

Lots of scuttlebutt on twitter that an eastern team has offered Doan a four year deal in the the excess of $30 Million.

That's crazy money.

If Doan and his agent want a similar deal (in ~$25M range), then I think you can strike the Canucks from the list.

I would be absolutely shocked if Gillis gives Doan a 4 year deal at $5M per, let alone more.

Callicles
AHL Prospect
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Post by Callicles » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:38 pm

I would love to see Doan in a Canucks jersey, but I doubt it will happen (...now checking TSN to make sure he hasn't signed in the last few minutes....all clear...). It's not that the Canucks don't need such a player - they do - or that Gillis wouldn't want to get him, but rather that so many other teams will happily overpay for his services. Gillis doesn't like giving multi-year contracts to players over 35. That's probably a good thing, considering how many players of that age group have been overpaid and turned out to be underwhelming. There are just too many teams out there willing to pay $5 milllion a year for three years of more. The only way it turns out that Doan lands in Vancouver is if he really wants to play here, and is willing to give up term to do so.

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 13368
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:39 pm

We'll see if he chases the money. I have no problem if he does, just the problem of hypocrisy really. But overall who can blame him if someone offers him that type of smack. But if the team is not a contender I doubt he takes it.

I have a couple of plants at the golf tournament this weekend so i'll see if I can get some gossip. :D :D :D :D
The only HW the Canucks need

black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:20 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Post by black ace » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:41 pm

ESQ wrote:Umm, it should be BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion, sounds much more impressive anyway :thumbs:

Your right.

Thanks
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 5939
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Shane Doan

Post by Meds » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:42 pm

FAN wrote:
Meds wrote:Well seeing as Selanne just signed a one year deal worth $4.5M, and he's 42 years old, I think Doan's cap hit is going to be in that ball park. It likely won't be more than that though as Selanne out-scored Doan this year by 4 goals and 16 points. Doan still has a few years left in the tank, no question, but his production is not the same as Selanne's and he's asking for longer term. I think age versus style of play and production will alnd him in the same range.
It's probably wishful thinking. Selanne has been signing below-market value one-year contracts with the Ducks for years now. Given the players who have signed $4M+ deals of late, I think Doan will get closer to $5M+ or even more depending on the length of the contract and whether Doan chooses money.
That's true. Selanne wants to be in Anaheim, so that makes a difference.

Also consider that Doan maxed his single season point production out at 78 points in 07-08. So consider that Doan is, on average, a 65 point guy. I'd say that $5M is ballpark if Booth is sitting at $4.5 M and has so far been a 50 point guy at best. Doan is an upgraded version of Booth.

Also, seeing as they are similar players, and have similar beliefs and faith, Doan might be a great fit here as not only a player who can add 50 points and some gritty, hard-nosed, hard working, Canadian hockey leadership, but also a guy that can perhaps help Booth take that next step the way Sundin helped Kesler.

In that case, I'd be OK with Gillis going to $5.5M for Doan on a 3 year deal.

User avatar
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:49 am
Location: Living the Life

Re: Shane Doan

Post by Canuck-One » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:46 pm

Welcome to the board Callicles. I agree that far too many GM's get panicked and sell the farm for a player whose best before date is well behind him. Doan though still has the skills and if put with the Sedins a 30 goal year wouldn't be out of the question. A deal for around 5.5 million for 3 years with a club option for the 4th wouldn't be too bad. I also doubt that we will get him but it would be nice.

Post Reply