Shane Doan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Shane Doan

Post by Zedlee »

On Team 1040 today Tyson Nash, long time friend of Doan's, was interviewed. He said that Doan really wants to stay in Phoenix and will wait to decide upon his future until after the ownership situation is clarified. So he might not be deciding anytime soon.

Anyhow...Doan would be great in our top 6, but I'm betting that some team will offer longer term and more $ than us. Fingers crossed that the "BC" factor weighs heavily in Doan's decision.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Doan would be a great addition for two years.

Three years I would do if it was what was needed to bring him onboard.

Four+ years would be a bad idea. I think somebody will offer him at least four years, and I hope it's not the Canucks. I'd still be shocked if he wasn't in Phoenix next year.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The key thing would be the contract I bet, which MG has a Ph.D, so considering the potential lockout a good signing bonus would help.

3 years at $5M per with a team option 4th year at $4M.

$3M signing bonus, $2M in first year.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Boston Canucker wrote:I don't put much stock in the whole notion of a cup window.

but.... but.... but .... but........ the bed pissers have told all of us that the window is 1 -2 years max.

Maybe if these children washed their own sheets once in awhile we wouldn't get bombarded with their crap.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Our window began in 1970...some years are better than others :shock:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote:I don't put much stock in the whole notion of a cup window.

but.... but.... but .... but........ the bed pissers have told all of us that the window is 1 -2 years max.

Maybe if these children washed their own sheets once in awhile we wouldn't get bombarded with their crap.
No kidding. I mean, if anything upsets the notion of there being some clearly defined window its the goaltending situation. 2 years ago it looked like we were locked in for the duration/next decade with Luongo, and now we're moving to a 26 year old, once the RL trade is done. So, right there, at the most important position, team is younger and by all accounts in pretty good hands, with Lack looking promising in the pipeline. So, what will the lineup look like in 2 years...who...the freak...knows. windows windows everywhere...I will say, I still wish they had not traded Hodgson, Kassian better be the bomb, and not a bomb.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

SKYO wrote:
What does this accomplish?

5 mill is 5 mill regardless of whether you pay it in copper or nickel.
DeLevering since 1999.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

donlever wrote:
SKYO wrote:

Just like the Matt Carle deal, the key being that he's got $3M in his pocket no matter what happens on the NHL labour front.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

SKYO wrote:
donlever wrote:
SKYO wrote:

Just like the Matt Carle deal, the key being that he's got $3M in his pocket no matter what happens on the NHL labour front.
Ah, I see. Somehow I do not think this would swayShane but kudos for the effort anyway.

:P
DeLevering since 1999.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

If staying in Phoenix is truly his number one choice, then it looks like he will stay.

From PuckDaddy:

• The petitioners attempt to get the Phoenix Coyotes' arena lease deal on the ballot have fallen short before their deadline. Five for Howling's take: "In my estimation there aren't any more roadblocks on the City's end for the deal to go through, so now its up to Greg Jamison and the NHL to follow through on their end. I'm sure they know that the chances of Cobb and Jones getting the lease agreement on the ballot are pretty small at this point so there isn't really a need to sit back and wait." [Five For Howling]
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Yes, but read this article and you will see that the issue is not so clear.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/n ... 56127998/1
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote: I don't put much stock in the whole notion of a cup window.

These kids are embarrassing themselves and Canuck fans everywhere. :evil:

Pissing & moaning over a possibly bleak future instead of enjoying the moment.

Ummmmmmmm..... CUP CONTENDER at the moment. :twisted:

No one can predict the future in a UFA-at-age-27 world

(just ask Nashville and Minnesota how quickly perspective can change).

And I wouldn't worry about what may/may-not be in the Mystery Cupboard while I've got all I can eat on the table.

Eat and enjoy says Strangelove!

*pops another bottle of bubbly* :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:Yes, but read this article and you will see that the issue is not so clear.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/n ... 56127998/1
To me the issue is clear, and that is that the Yotes are not long for the desert. They will be leaving, whether that's this year, next year or 5 years from now I don't know but hockey won't work there.

It's sad for the true fans in Phoenix but unfortunately there just aren't enough of them.

Whether or not this means anything for Doan this year I have no idea, but that team is already gone.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Do any of you realize that Shane 'bible belt' Doan will turn 36 on October 10th? Must be careful here, could be another version of past their prime, geriatrics Messier, Sundin playing in Vancouver.

Just saying.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:Do any of you realize that Shane Doan will turn 36 on October 10th? Must be careful here, could be another version Messier, Sundin playing in Vancouver.

Just saying.

For sure his age is a concern. I think he knows that and I think he has too much class to demand a 4 year deal he knows he may not earn. I also don't think he will want to saddle a team with a cap hit should he retire. Now I have nothing to base this on other than how he has conducted himself throughout his career and the tidbits you get from reading about him. He could prove me wrong and go for a big 4 year deal heavily front loaded and not be concerned at all down the road what this does to a team should he not be able to compete or should he retire.

I still think if he has to move from the desert he will take a 2-3 year deal, probably 3, and chose a city based upon its status as a contender but also one where he can feel comfortable moving his family. Money will be a secondary concern to him and I think he gets pretty well the same term from most teams seriously interested.

He wants to win and he wants to stay in the West.

But a four year deal would be hard for me to swallow. I'd prefer a two year and would be Ok if we had to bite for three, depending upon the cap. He is in great shape and I can see him playing at 39 but it is hard to say how effective he will be. As a veteran role player he would still be very useful but the problem is at what cost dollar wise.

As I said in an earlier post I would be all over him if he were that elusive last piece. I just don't see him that way. I see him as a missing piece but not that one piece that puts us over the top. I'd want MG to do more than just add Doan.

But even at 35 going on 36 I'd love to have him as a Canuck if the term and cap were right. I have no idea what "right" is in this case.
The only HW the Canucks need