Canucks resign Mason Raymond

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Canucks resign Mason Raymond

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

MayRay resigned for like $2.3 mill, slight drop from his previous $2.6 mill. I think we should give him 1 more year. Last year was basically a write off for him cuz of his serious injury and I don't think we can really judge him till after next season. If he has another sub-par year, then I don't mind just getting rid of him. A good 40 games would probably be a good indicator.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks resign Mason Raymond

Post by wafflecombine »

Hmmm.. well hopefully a full off-season to training to improve his conditioning after the back injury will help him out. I'm not a huge fan admittedly but would still like him to succeed. Even if all it means is we up his trade value.

Question is where does he fit? Second line... third line...
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Garrison get's to play with his homie for at least one season!

+ Ray needs to work on his balance imo, tired of seeing him fall all the time.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Yawn...
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Split the diff between what he had and what was offered on the knock down while getting one year instead of two that arbitration could have meant.

Gives Mason a year to show what he can do and try to fulfil the expected role he was pencilled in for two years ago.

I have no problem with it, he backs defenders off, gains the zone, draws penalties, kills penalties, defends well and in a pinch, can man the point on the PP. If his hands can keep up with his feet, he'll be fine, however once Cody was traded, Mason became the least physical player on the team.
Last edited by Topper on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Pretty much the least we could have paid him.
Under-rated defensively but needs to get 20 goals to be a top 6 guy. Too small to be a 10 goal 3rd liner imo.

Put up or shut up time for Mason.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Good deal all around. MayRay has been a solid contributer in the past,and hopefully, he's over his broken back. For a fast 3rd line forward, who typically gets 40 points, I am quite gruntled. I always want more from MayRay, but, for the price, we are getting a good deal. Rusty Courtnall the 2nd.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

BingoTough wrote:Yawn...
+1

"Raymond falls down in the corner!"
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

I'm only in favour of keeping him if we all agree to call him Raytard from now on.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

wienerdog wrote:I'm only in favour of keeping him if we all agree to call him Raytard from now on.
Raytard, very original of ya wiener-schnitzel.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yawn......... fart.

Topper you had me until you thought he could man the point on the PP.

I'm shocked the dude and his finger puppet didn't mix in a "Balltard" reference but then again most people get tired of beating a dead horse.

I have no problem if Raymond is on the team moving forward if it means that one or two of Higgins/Hansen/Booth/Burrows is moved out in a package deal for a bigger/ meaner/ better player(s) on the wings. Who knows the Luongo deal could be a monster...... a Doan signing could seriously tweak things.

Even with the addition of Kassian this team is far too small and soft in its top 14 - 15 skaters.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I don't mind this signing. What I like most is it's a 1-year deal. Time for him to show what a full offseason of training will do. If he`s actually worked on his stickhandling and can grew a pair so he can drive the inside lane instead of going wide and doing a lap in the offensive zone, there may be promise. He's got to get into the dirty areas if he's ever going to succeed.

If he doesn't, can his ass to Chicago and bid fareweel next summer. Nothing risked except Aquaman's money.
Blob Mckenzie wrote:I have no problem if Raymond is on the team moving forward if it means that one or two of Higgins/Hansen/Booth/Burrows is moved out in a package deal for a bigger/ meaner/ better player(s) on the wings. Who knows the Luongo deal could be a monster...... a Doan signing could seriously tweak things.
Problem is every forward you named is bigger and/or more physical than Raymond and Gillis is looking to get bigger. It would have to be another a C/W who can put up at least 50-60 pts on the 2nd line, so it will be interesting to see if Gillis can pull that off. Otherwise the team doesn't get appreciably bigger or better.

Again, the hate on for Burrows.... :?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lancer wrote:
Problem is every forward you named is bigger and/or more physical than Raymond and Gillis is looking to get bigger. It would have to be another a C/W who can put up at least 50-60 pts on the 2nd line, so it will be interesting to see if Gillis can pull that off. Otherwise the team doesn't get appreciably bigger or better.

Again, the hate on for Burrows.... :?

Doan is 20 - 30 pounds heavier than any of the guys I mentioned. I guess I should have thrown Booth's name in there too. Substitute Doan for any one of those four guys along with Zack Kassian and this team is bigger and tougher to play against. Also add in the fact Doan is more physical than ANY of those guys and could beat the fuck out of all of them in his sleep. A motivated and one year older Kassian and S Doan change the dynamics of this team .

It's got nothing to do with me hating 14 but read into that what you may ......... :roll:

Put it this way if he didn't pull hair, bite and cry like a baby when the ref jobbed him he'd be one of my favorites.

He is a UFA coming up along with Higgins. It will cost 5 million to re- sign Burrows as he will want to cash in on his big payday at 32. IMHO that money is better spent on S Doan. Bigger, tougher , better, a bit older but likely more respected as well.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Holy shit show Blobby Bear. Burrows is heart and soul and by and large a more dynamic player than Doan. Yes, I said it. But I think you grossly underestimate Burrows value to this team. Doan is good but in a sort of meat and potatoes kind of way. He doesn't have the hockey intellect that Burrows has. Mark my words, Burrows will get a huge pay raise next summer. There are a lot of teams that will gladly pay the big bucks to have him on their team.

I'm keeping Hansen and Burrows miles ahead of Booth and Higgins. We seriously gotta get rid of David Air tool Booth. Higgins the Journeyman will be on his billionth team come next summer.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Burrows and Higgy are UFA at seasons end.

5.5 and 3.5 for each of them if they hit 30 and 20 respectively.

It's getting hard to not pummel you on these boards my tights wearing amigo.

When are we hooking up for lunch at the Arms ????