Jensen heading to SEL ??

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Jensen heading to SEL ??

Postby Per » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:59 pm

Lancer wrote:So Jensen will go to Stockholm AIK is he doesn't make the Canucks out of training camp. Slightly surprised it wasn't MoDo due to the connections with that team.

Hey Per, what would you say about this development? How do you think Stockholm AIK will be as a developmental experience for Jensen? I don't recognize anybody on their roster, what can you tell us?

You should recognise their captain, Dick Tärnström. :eh:

Other than that, they don't have that much of a team, imho. Ended 7th this season, 8th the year before that, in a twelve team league, so... Bottom half, I guess. Eight teams make the playoffs though, and both years they did score an upset in the quarter final, but were eliminated in the semi final.

Couple of other familiar names from their past: this is where Börje Salming winded down for a few years after leaving the NHL. Thomas Gradin and his brother Peter, Kent Nilsson, Mika Kiprusoff, Tim Thomas (sic!)...
User avatar
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1700
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: Jensen heading to SEL ??

Postby Arachnid » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:52 pm

Per wrote:
Lancer wrote:So Jensen will go to Stockholm AIK is he doesn't make the Canucks out of training camp. Slightly surprised it wasn't MoDo due to the connections with that team.

Hey Per, what would you say about this development? How do you think Stockholm AIK will be as a developmental experience for Jensen? I don't recognize anybody on their roster, what can you tell us?

You should recognise their captain, Dick Tärnström. :eh:

Other than that, they don't have that much of a team, imho. Ended 7th this season, 8th the year before that, in a twelve team league, so... Bottom half, I guess. Eight teams make the playoffs though, and both years they did score an upset in the quarter final, but were eliminated in the semi final.

Couple of other familiar names from their past: this is where Börje Salming winded down for a few years after leaving the NHL. Thomas Gradin and his brother Peter, Kent Nilsson, Mika Kiprusoff, Tim Thomas (sic!)...


I think the Swedes are just rascist against the Great Danes (and their cheap alcohol and district heating :eh: ) so they stuck him on a lowly skanky team :evil:
4 out of 5 Psychologists agree that a man without a woman is a psycho
User avatar
Arachnid
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 4623
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Re: Jensen heading to SEL ??

Postby Badfish » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:55 am

Just throwing this out there, but might this allow him to take a larger role on a mediocre team? Maybe give him some added responsibility and increased minuets playing against full grown men instead of teenagers back in the OHL? Even playing on a shitty mens team has to be better than on a good teen-aged team, no?
User avatar
Badfish
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:50 pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: Jensen heading to SEL ??

Postby Fred » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:07 am

Badfish wrote:Just throwing this out there, but might this allow him to take a larger role on a mediocre team? Maybe give him some added responsibility and increased minuets playing against full grown men instead of teenagers back in the OHL? Even playing on a shitty mens team has to be better than on a good teen-aged team, no?


You wish this alternative was available for a few other players. Any way Grenier and the just released Hanay have both signed with Red Bull for with the same concept in mind. Pierre Page is the coach with Red Bull
cheers
Fred
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Jensen heading to SEL ??

Postby Lancer » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:52 pm

If I was the commissioner of the AHL, wouldn't I be worried about developments like these? If Jensen plays there a year and then plays in Chicago, then no worries. If he stays in Sweden until he makes the big club, then that poses some wrinkles in how European leagues are viewed in terms of developing NHL prospects.

The big thing against the Euro leagues is the diffculty in getting players out of there on call-up. In the 'A', it's a simple phone call and when the spell is done, back to the 'A' he goes. In the euro league's, somebody tell me different if I'm out there, but if a player comes here mid-season, he's with the big club and nowhere else.

Anyhow, it's an intriguing alternative for developing prospects. We'll see how well it goes for young Niklas if he doesn't make the team. Who knows? Maybe it won't be necessary. Not that I'm putting a wager out there on it happening though... ;)
Last edited by Lancer on Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1267
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Jensen heading to SEL ??

Postby surreal78 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:54 pm

Lancer wrote:If I was the commissioner of th AHL, wouldn't I be worries about developments like these?


Part of the problem is that stupid agreement between the NHL & AHL that prohibits players under 20 from playing in the A. I don't really get the logic outside of protecting junior teams, but it really does put a cramp in everyone's style.
surreal78
 

Re: Jensen heading to SEL ??

Postby tantalum » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:18 pm

What they need to do is modify the rule. I have no problem with protecting the junior teams but why not put a rule in that basically says if you want an under 20 on your AHL team you must dress him for 60+ games (unless injured of course) and you can not loan that player to another club. Perhaps such a thing would limit it to the players that really are ready to graduate to the pros.
User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: Jensen heading to SEL ??

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:24 am

Just reading that apparantly Jensen's season is almost over with da Bears and Gillis wants him to report to the wolves to get more xp @ the pro lvl.

Boy, the kids sure seems to luv to score. He seems to have decent speed and scores on the rush quite a bit, seems to have a quick/accurate release and drives to the net pretty well. Looks a bit like Ovi out there. :P

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1070
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Jensen heading to SEL ??

Postby Cookie La Rue » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:49 am

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Looks a bit like Ovi out there. :P

A bit? I could swear he's watching Ovi vids every night and has its sleeping room full with posters of him... :lol:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013
User avatar
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 1756
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:57 pm
Location: 50° 10' North / 8° 34' East

Re: Jensen heading to SEL ??

Postby Diehard1 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:12 am

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Just reading that apparantly Jensen's season is almost over with da Bears and Gillis wants him to report to the wolves to get more xp @ the pro lvl.

Boy, the kids sure seems to luv to score. He seems to have decent speed and scores on the rush quite a bit, seems to have a quick/accurate release and drives to the net pretty well. Looks a bit like Ovi out there. :P



Kid's got some skill and a hell of a shot, no question. He also scored 6 goals in 8 AHL games so it's not like he's only done it in Sweden.

The Nucks need a big body scorer like Jensen is expected to become, kid is only 19 but he's already 6'3" and 215 pounds, could be 225 or 230 when he's done growing. I have big expectations for him.
Diehard1
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 am

Re: Jensen heading to SEL ??

Postby Jovocop » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:55 am

Diehard1 wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Just reading that apparantly Jensen's season is almost over with da Bears and Gillis wants him to report to the wolves to get more xp @ the pro lvl.

Boy, the kids sure seems to luv to score. He seems to have decent speed and scores on the rush quite a bit, seems to have a quick/accurate release and drives to the net pretty well. Looks a bit like Ovi out there. :P



Kid's got some skill and a hell of a shot, no question. He also scored 6 goals in 8 AHL games so it's not like he's only done it in Sweden.

The Nucks need a big body scorer like Jensen is expected to become, kid is only 19 but he's already 6'3" and 215 pounds, could be 225 or 230 when he's done growing. I have big expectations for him.


As I said before, I just could not wait to see a line with Jensen/Gaunce/Kassian. They might not be as creative or dynamite as the Sedins or the WCE. With their sizes, it could be a heck of line.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1569
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Jensen heading to SEL ??

Postby Aaronp18 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:33 am

He's looks pretty impressive. A legit goal scorer.

Loves that glove side on RH goalies. He has a great shot with a quick release.

Can't wait to see what he can do with NHL level talent around him, and competing against NHL level opposition. NHL goalies are going to be better positionally and probably won't give him that much room over their glove.
User avatar
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Jensen heading to SEL ??

Postby Per » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:46 am

Cookie La Rue wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Looks a bit like Ovi out there. :P

A bit? I could swear he's watching Ovi vids every night and has its sleeping room full with posters of him... :lol:


And he scores in the shoot outs! :shock:

Are you sure he is a Canuck? :eh:
User avatar
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1700
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: Jensen heading to SEL ??

Postby Topper » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:02 pm

That shootout, leg kick, hip shake move is going to leave a few jocks in the crease.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 4266
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Jensen heading to SEL ??

Postby Cookie La Rue » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:05 pm

Per wrote:Are you sure he is a Canuck? :eh:

No, i wasn't present at the draft...maybe it's all a pipedream created by wwmedia.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013
User avatar
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 1756
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:57 pm
Location: 50° 10' North / 8° 34' East

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ukcanuck and 3 guests