CANUCKS SIGN UFA JASON GARRISON

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: CANUCKS SIGN UFA JASON GARRISON

Post by clem »

Benjo wrote:All this panicking about who will feed him sweet passes....
Interest in what we got isn't the same as 'Panic’. Disciplined D is valuable, but we also need help at the point.

It's not like Garrison's PP performance is solely dependant on pass quality. The down low threat of a nimble cycle can open point room, just like a hard/accurate point shot can spread the D. Pick your poison. He looks to be a good fit.

Health & demeanour could help Garrison be an upgrade on Salo. More games at full health & less reluctance to loose the cannon could be good. Sometimes, it seemed Sami had excess hesitation to release the slapper - for fear of hurting someone. A reflection of confidence in his control perhaps.

Which brings up Garrison’s slap shot accuracy.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

FAN wrote: It's irrelevant because Garrison would have commanded $4.25M-$4.5M ....
Rationalization.
Uncle dans leg wrote:Garrison is great pick up considering he came for nothing and likely will have extra incentive to play his heart out for friends and family.
His salary is totally inconsequential considering:....
He’s entertaining already.
Topper wrote: So if he was 67% worse on the PP he would have been cheaper.
LOL
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

All of this discussion around Garrisons goal total is kind of ridiculous.

It doesn't matter how many goals he scored last year, what matters is if he is capable of playing on the first unit power play in the spot that Salo had most of last season.

If he can do that he will most likely end up well above the 33 points he had last season.

A defenseman could easily fluctuate between 20 and 40 points based on the role they are given. Take a guy off the first unit power play and watch 15 to 20 points evaporate.

Take a guy out of the top 4 and play him mostly with bottom 6 forwards and poof there goes another 10.

The Canucks didn't sign Garrison because he scored 16 goals they signed him because they think he can play a specific roll on their team. If he can play in that roll (see Hamhuis) it will be a good signing, if he can't (see Ballard) then it wont be.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Potatoe1 wrote:All of this discussion around Garrisons goal total is kind of ridiculous.

It doesn't matter how many goals he scored last year, what matters is if he is capable of playing on the first unit power play in the spot that Salo had most of last season.

If he can do that he will most likely end up well above the 33 points he had last season.

A defenseman could easily fluctuate between 20 and 40 points based on the role they are given. Take a guy off the first unit power play and watch 15 to 20 points evaporate.

Take a guy out of the top 4 and play him mostly with bottom 6 forwards and poof there goes another 10.

The Canucks didn't sign Garrison because he scored 16 goals they signed him because they think he can play a specific roll on their team. If he can play in that roll (see Hamhuis) it will be a good signing, if he can't (see Ballard) then it wont be.
How is it ridiculous to discuss Garrison's goal totals in relation to his ability to play on the first unit powerplay? The fact that Garrison scored 16 goals with 9 being on the PP suggests he can successfully play an offensive role and be effective on the PP. You can give a defenseman top 4 minutes and 1st unit power play time all you want, but if a defenseman can't handle those minutes and isn't capable of being offensively productive he won't be a top 4 Dman capable of playing on the first unit powerplay.

The fact that Garrison scored 16 goals including 9 goals on the PP is strong evidence of potential. It's silly to suggests that this strong showing of ability does not matter. When Gillis signed Hamhuis he saw some offensive upside because Hamhuis showed an ability to put up points in the past and his even strength point totals were equal to that of Weber and Suter in Hamhuis' last year as a Pred. If it's all about projection and statistics are irrelevant, then someone like Rob Schremp would still be in the NHL given 1st line and 1st unit PP time.
Scintillator
CC Veteran

Post by Scintillator »

Too much emphasis on one stat from one season makes Jack a dull boy...
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

FAN wrote:
How is it ridiculous to discuss Garrison's goal totals in relation to his ability to play on the first unit powerplay?
I stated why in my post.
The fact that Garrison scored 16 goals with 9 being on the PP suggests he can successfully play an offensive role and be effective on the PP.
It suggests that, but it doesn't exactly guarentee that he will be an upgrade over Bieksa or Hamhuis on the first unt power play.

The point I was making in my post is that "if" he ends up being the guy who plays next to Edler on the first unit power play his ofensive numbers will most like be very good, possibly better then last year. If he isnt in that role then his numbers might not be anywhere near as good.
You can give a defenseman top 4 minutes and 1st unit power play time all you want, but if a defenseman can't handle those minutes and isn't capable of being offensively productive he won't be a top 4 Dman capable of playing on the first unit powerplay.

That would be more or less what I said.
The fact that Garrison scored 16 goals including 9 goals on the PP is strong evidence of potential. It's silly to suggests that this strong showing of ability does not matter.
The 16 goals suggests he's got a very good shot and that he got fairly lucky.

The goal total does not however mean that he is going to end up on our first power play unit and that will have a drastic impact on his goal and point total next season. That was the point I was making in my post.

It is silly to speculate on Garrisons point totals moving forward with out knowing what role he will play in.

The first PP unit with the Sedins has been absolute money for defenseman the past few seasons, if he is there he will post great numbers, probably better then last year. If he doesn't play with that group he probably wont.
When Gillis signed Hamhuis he saw some offensive upside because Hamhuis showed an ability to put up points in the past and his even strength point totals were equal to that of Weber and Suter in Hamhuis' last year as a Pred. If it's all about projection and statistics are irrelevant, then someone like Rob Schremp would still be in the NHL given 1st line and 1st unit PP time.
You basically just agreed with me.

Hamhuis wasn't used in an offensive role his last year with the Preds and it had an effect on his point totals.

Dan is a good but not elite offensive defenseman and guys like that will have big swings in their offensive totals because of luck and their role on the team.

Garrison, Hamhuis, Ballard, and Bieksa, are all in the same boat, their point totals next year will most certainly depend on how they are used.

That is why it is pointless to predict how how many points Garrison will get next year. It just depends on fit, role, and to a lesser extent luck.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote:All of this discussion around Garrisons goal total is kind of ridiculous.
Exactly why I laughed at the Canuck Army diatribe.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If he replaces Salo's shot from the point we are winners right there. If he is more willing to use his shot and is more accurate than Salo we are winners there. One of the reasons Ehrhoff was so effective was his willingness to shoot and although not as hard as Salo he was accurate and could get a good shot off that could be tipped or lead to rebounds. If garrison gives us that type of presence on the PP I think we are winners.

If he also can play defence then whats to not like. With Ballard starting to play the way it was hopped he would, and if he comes to camp ready to play that way, whats not to like about the back end? Ya I know we don't have a true number one and I like everyone else would love that but right now I am comfortable.

What I do remember is that when Salo was injured our defence looked like one big cluster fu&k at times. He brought stability. The chemistry with the pairings worked. So to me the biggest thing is the adjustment after Salo. I have no doubt the guys will adjust. Will AV?
The only HW the Canucks need
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Don't mean to sound like a downer, but I saw the goals Garrison scored last year. Man did he victimize the Laughs. In fact the only concerning thing I saw was that a lot of his goals came against weak goalies. He scored on Miller twice, it seeems but Miller had a an aberrantly horribleseason.

Just wondering how his shot will fare against the better goalies the Canucks will face come playoff time.

Just sayin... :roll:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

All I hope for is that Garrison is not a colossal failure like fellow ex-panthers David 'zero brain wave activity' Booth and Keith 'the midget' Balltard
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:All I hope for is that Garrison is not a colossal failure like fellow ex-panthers David 'zero brain wave activity' Booth and Keith 'the midget' Balltard
I have hopes too .........I hope one day fans who used to look at hockey and the Canucks in general remove their heads from their anus and look at things objectively.

I am not a Booth fan but if the dude can kick in 20-25 goals he is right on par with his contract for value. Personally I would rather have a meaner player with similar production on the 2nd line even if it cost a bit more, but until GMMG can make that happen I am not going to have a daily tantrum about him being on the team.

Ballard was a poor fit here and the pro scout who recommended him to MG without knowing he was a trainwreck on the RH side should be hung and pissed on. That said he hasn't been given a fair shake here and it's time for he and the team to part ways. I feel like I'm repeating myself here but some cats are pretty thick and need to have things pounded into the Kro Magnon skulls.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:I have no doubt the guys will adjust. Will AV?
We're fucked. :(

:look:

:P
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Lancer wrote:Don't mean to sound like a downer, but I saw the goals Garrison scored last year. Man did he victimize the Laughs. In fact the only concerning thing I saw was that a lot of his goals came against weak goalies. He scored on Miller twice, it seeems but Miller had a an aberrantly horribleseason.

Just wondering how his shot will fare against the better goalies the Canucks will face come playoff time.

Just sayin... :roll:
I don't really see that as being a concern. If a guy has a hard enough shot and can pick the side of the net he wants (not the corner just the side) on a one-timer, then it makes no difference if you're shooting on Quick or Reimer. In fact, I'd say that if the setup is right, Reimer is going to be harder to score on from the point because he takes up so much more room. The variables are traffic and lateral movement. One-timers from the point don't often require the goalie to move very far laterally unless he's way out of his net.

For a left-handed point shot to really be getting alot of cross-ice one-timers on the Canucks will mean taking passes from someone other than Henrik because Hank sets up on the wrong side of the ice. It's what made Salo so valuable on that first unit, he had the big shot and was right-handed, so it was much easier for Henrik and Daniel to put that pass right in Sami's wheel-house. So that means getting Kesler (or another righty) working on the PP unit with Garrison and Gillis has to find a right-handed bomb for Henrik to feed.....a guy like Weber comes to mind. :look:
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Look no further than Al McInnis's slap shot if you want to talk about "good slap shot" from the point

low and hard is how you want it.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

RoyalDude wrote:All I hope for is that Garrison is not a colossal failure like fellow ex-panthers David 'zero brain wave activity' Booth and Keith 'the midget' Balltard
Do you turn around and high five Bersnoozi every time you use the Balltard nickname there, RD?

That's a real knee-slapper, that one, fellas. Gets us every time.