Wild agree to terms with Suter and Parise

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Scintillator
CC Veteran

Re: Wild agree to terms with Suter and Parise

Post by Scintillator »

Strangelove wrote:Make no mistake, this greedy little soul-less fucker knows exactly what he's doing. :hmmm:
+1

I do so love the way you call that spade a rusted shovel
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Neither of those guys are worth it.

Parise had 3 more goals than Burrows last season. We know Burrows is underpaid, but 7.5M for 31 goals? Please.

15M tied up in these two guys who have accomplished what? Would rather have both Sedins for 12.2.

Minny now has the #7,8, and 9 highest Cap salaries in hockey. Nice splash.... and folks think Luongo's contract is bad?
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

A lot depends on what player Parise is. Is he the 80+ point player he was 2 of the last 5 years or is he the 65ish point player he has been the other 3.

I'm not sure what player he is. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see PArise in a canuck uniform but at $7.5 mil cap hit I'm not so sure.

Suter is Suter. An excellent D-man. Still think they made a huge mistake in moving Schultz for Gilbert.

The Wild got better, but keep in mind they were terrible last year and the way I look at things they are still primarily a one line team. Well, until Koivu gets hurt then they are again a team of wingers.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Gino's Knuckle wrote: Lever, I'm a little late on this but I think you are referencing the 100% Rule (CBA 50.7).

So basically their contracts cannot go down more than 6 million per year - which they do not.
Cheers GK.

There was something rattling around up there but I was to lazy to source it out.

'Preciate it.
DeLevering since 1999.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

vic wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote:
If he cant work out a long term deal in the next 8 months I could see Poile hang onto Weber until next year's trade deadline, and then see where they are and/or what they could get.
This is where the 1-year offer sheet kicks in (as others have mentioned)

Sign Weber to a 1-year $6mil offersheet (with the verbal agreement that he will get extended to whatever it takes to keep him as soon as the NHL allows it)

Nashville has two choices:
1. Let him walk for Van's 1,2,3 (which I think is reasonable for a player like Weber)
2. Match the 1-year offer and let him become a UFA next year - he can't be traded for 1 year after the offer sheet was matched, so he is guaranteed to become a UFA and Nashville risks losing him for nothing.
I like that plan, although the other risk is it would seem a good bet that one of the changes in the CBA could well be raising the UFA age. Weber and his agent may have an eye on this, and Poile too. Poile might even welcome an offer sheet, get Weber signed for one more year, hope there is a hike in the UFA age, say by two years, and then have more leverage with Weber. That said, if Weber tells Poile I want out, all bets are off, it'll be another Nash situation, except for a better, more proven player.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Boston Canucker wrote: I like that plan, although the other risk is it would seem a good bet that one of the changes in the CBA could well be raising the UFA age.
Why the need to hike the UFA age? Look at the depth of the UFA class this year, pretty lame.

Teams are locking up their players to long term deals before they have a chance to hit UFA status.

I don't think it's a concern for the owners.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

and what chip do you give the PA to agree to that?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

tantalum wrote:A lot depends on what player Parise is. Is he the 80+ point player he was 2 of the last 5 years or is he the 65ish point player he has been the other 3.

I'm not sure what player he is. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see PArise in a canuck uniform but at $7.5 mil cap hit I'm not so sure.
Most of the league are falling all over themselves to add a $7.8m player with one ~80 point season and four 65ish point seasons out of the last five.

Not saying either are a great deal on the cap but it appears to be the price of adding a player with good production despite mediocre teammates.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Scintillator wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Make no mistake, this greedy little soul-less fucker knows exactly what he's doing. :hmmm:
+1

I do so love the way you call that spade a rusted shovel
Thanks man, those facts came out during a Balsillie/Leipold/Bettman debate about 5 years ago.

Most think bettman is a little prick, but if so, those other two are large pricks.

I looked through my old documents from 5 years ago, had a link that don't work anymore

.... but found this by googling this morning:

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/econ/faculty/ ... quotes.htm

WHO BOUGHT THE PREDATORS
Gaylord Entertainment............. $12.8 million
Craig Leipold and family............. $9.6 million
Bankloan............................. $40.0 million
Metro Government.................. $20.0 million
Total purchase price................ $82.4 million

WHERE SALE MONEY WOULD GO
Estimated sales price.............. $193.0 million
Cover Leipolds losses .............. -$70.0 million
Cover team start-up costs........ -$40.0 million
Pay off bank loan................... -$30.0 million
Cover buyout payment to Gaylord -$13.0 million
Cover Leipold's initial investment. -$9.6 million
Leipold's profit....................... $30.0 million

In with $9.6mil, out with $39.6mil, all the while complaining about how much money he lost! :evil:

And if the scam with Balsillie worked, it would've been: in with $9.6mil, out with $66.6mil.

Six months later he bought the Minnesota Wild. :roll:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Before the Preds took Weber to arbitration last year he had a few days where he was free to talk to teams. I'm sure a lot of GM's talked to his agent to try and figure out what he wants and may have some sense of what will motivate him. He has always said what motivates him the most is a chance to win. The Preds lost out again this year, the year they tried to show their players they were serious. Now with Suter gone and unless the Preds re-tool somehow I don't like their chances of getting Weber to sign a LTC.

Teams are free to talk to him right now and discuss his future and what he wants. If Weber wants to be a Canuck, or a Flyer, or a HAB, he will have certainly expressed that by now. I'm sure he won't close doors to others teams as he will want to test the market. My point is we are free to talk to him now about his future plans and find out what his thinking is.

MG:
Hey Shea, if we trade the sun, the star and the moon for your rights would you sign a LTC similar to the one your pal Suter signed?

Weber:
No, I want to test the market.

MG:
Hey then can you tell me if you want to be a BC boy and come home? Are we your first choice and would you give us the right to match?

Weber:

Can't promise that Mike. But call me.

OR

Weber:
No Nucks are not my first choice but I will listen to whatever you have to say at the time you say it.

Or
Weber:
yes, YES YES I want to be a Canuck Mike. I promise. If we can't get it done this year wait for me Mike, don't let someone else take my spot OK?

I am sure MG has some sense as to whether Weber is a realistic possibility or not. He may not have a definitive idea but he must have made those calls already.
The only HW the Canucks need
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Hockey Widow wrote:Before the Preds took Weber to arbitration last year he had a few days where he was free to talk to teams.

I am sure MG has some sense as to whether Weber is a realistic possibility or not. He may not have a definitive idea but he must have made those calls already.
And short of that, I think you'd have to be naive to think that Hamhuis hasn't got a good indication of what his buddy sees what his options, or preferences, are come next summer.

Would it be tampering if Hammy walked into Gillis's office with a big smile on his face and said "Whatever you do don't re-sign Salo for more than one year... there could be a "number" conflict." :wink:
2011..... the one that got away.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Neither of those guys are worth it.

Parise had 3 more goals than Burrows last season. We know Burrows is underpaid, but 7.5M for 31 goals? Please.

15M tied up in these two guys who have accomplished what? Would rather have both Sedins for 12.2.

Minny now has the #7,8, and 9 highest Cap salaries in hockey. Nice splash.... and folks think Luongo's contract is bad?
You on crack?

Both guys ARE worth it, especially to the Minnesota Wild.

Maybe not to the Canucks but for a floundering franchise like the Wild? This is the equivalent of hitting the god damn jackpot.

- A top 3 forward and a top 2 defenceman
- Both US Olympians
- Both are coming into the prime of their careers
- Both want to join your team because they want to
- Both are highly motivated to win
- Both are highly marketable and personable
- All it took was money. No mortgaging the future or anything.

If you treat both signings as one transaction, this has the potential to make the top 10 list of best UFA signings in the NHL ever. If not top 5.

The next thing the Wild need to do is to rebrand themselves. Get rid of the stupid Christmas colours and get a logo and color combo that looks bad ass. If they do it right, the Wild organization could be a very profitable team with the entire Mid West market to draw upon.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hockey Widow wrote: Weber:
yes, YES YES I want to be a Canuck Mike. I promise. If we can't get it done this year wait for me Mike, don't let someone else take my spot OK?

Sure would be nice to still have Hodgson as a trade asset right now.

Jus' sayin...

:drink: :devil:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I'm sure the Predators would be falling all over themselves to acquire an undersized center with no two-way game to speak of at this point.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

mathonwy wrote: The next thing the Wild need to do is to rebrand themselves. Get rid of the stupid Christmas colours and get a logo and color combo that looks bad ass. If they do it right, the Wild organization could be a very profitable team with the entire Mid West market to draw upon.
I agree. Worst colour combo in the league by far.

This is the only decent jersey they've ever had:

Lose the red and that piss stained looking off white they have on their regular sweaters and get a new logo.
2011..... the one that got away.