2012/13 season - what ONE player do we still really need?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: 2012/13 season - what ONE player do we still really need

Post by TDA Rum »

I would do that trade.... Bailey has more offensive upside than Mathias...
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

TDA Rum wrote:I would do that trade.... Bailey has more offensive upside than Mathias...
Anyone would do that trade... that's why it ain't happening.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote: I was actually thinking more long-term, another 2nd line center would give the Canucks 3 good scoring lines, (assuming that Kassian improves as a solid 2nd/3rd winger)

Any second line caliber center is going to get buried behind Hank and Kesler both of whom are first line caliber guys who will likely continue to eat up at least 40 of the 60 min available minutes in that position.

I think Gillis is on the right track looking for a big, young, 2-way guy to play the 12 to 13 min available behing Kes and Hank.
A 2-way guy would work, but last year they got Pahlsson who is another Manny-type center, and the 3rd line production dried up.

Actually what I was not a bona fide 2nd line center (say like Kesler, 65 - 70 points) but a 2nd/3rd line center. I was thinking aguy that averages 45-55 points, say like Brooks Laich, olli Jokinen or Jarret Stoll.
Someone that could handle the 2nd line duties for a while, and provide some offensive punch on the 3rd line.

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Potatoe1"

Any second line caliber center is going to get buried behind Hank and Kesler both of whom are first line caliber guys who will likely continue to eat up at least 40 of the 60 min available minutes in that position.

Kesler plays right wing, just like he did with Sundin .....and played well. The Canucks system has the first forward back become the default centre than it's one on one so it doesn't make much difference. Who takes the face off makes no difference ( like putting two centres out ) we need a play maker for the second line call him what you will. We have too many shooters and noy enough play makers. Imagine Daniel with out Henrik, that's what we have currently on the second line a bunch of players all wanting to shoot
cheers
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

RoyalDude wrote:Ballard to the Islanders for their 3rd line centre Josh Bailey, he's young, decent size, cheap, good skill set, decent numbers, good ol' Canadian kid. What's not to like? The Islanders have centre prospect Strome waiting in the wings. Their 1 and 2 centres are Tavares and Nielsen. It's a good deal for both teams. The Isles are apparently interested in Ballard.
Yeah. I am up for dealing with Garth Snow and the Islanders one more time. It's like going into a pawn shop and trading a broken toaster.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Josh Bailey should be on MG's radar. 22..... four years in the league, 30 point player and decent size.

There is fuck all out there for centres right now other than Gilbert Brule or Jason Arnott.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:Ballard to the Islanders for their 3rd line centre Josh Bailey, he's young, decent size, cheap, good skill set, decent numbers, good ol' Canadian kid. What's not to like? The Islanders have centre prospect Strome waiting in the wings. Their 1 and 2 centres are Tavares and Nielsen. It's a good deal for both teams. The Isles are apparently interested in Ballard.
Unless there is a NHL defenseman coming back, can the Canucks really afford to lose Ballard? If Ballard is traded, the third pairing will be Alberts and Tanev :shock:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Josh Bailey should be on MG's radar. 22..... four years in the league, 30 point player and decent size.

There is fuck all out there for centres right now other than Gilbert Brule or Jason Arnott.
Which is why I'm not sold on pursuing Doan, I'm not completely adverse to the idea, but there are more pressing needs in the lineup than signing an expensive old guy.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
mpp
CC Veteran

Post by mpp »

Jovocop wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Unless there is a NHL defenseman coming back, can the Canucks really afford to lose Ballard? If Ballard is traded, the third pairing will be Alberts and Tanev :shock:
Or Corrado-Tanev. Or Connauton-Tanev. Perhaps even Sauve-Tanev.

Alberts is #7 and we know it, but I think sooner or later Canucks need to introduce more youth on the D corps. Corrado and K-Con are really promising. Give them chance early on, if they struggle, make a move for a veteran in February, around trade deadline.

I don't really know if Canucks can afford to lose Ballard, but what started bothering me lately is when they will let the blueline kids get some experience. Has to happen sooner or later and we're not planning to tank in the near future, so might as well be sooner.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

mpp wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Unless there is a NHL defenseman coming back, can the Canucks really afford to lose Ballard? If Ballard is traded, the third pairing will be Alberts and Tanev :shock:
Or Corrado-Tanev. Or Connauton-Tanev. Perhaps even Sauve-Tanev.

Alberts is #7 and we know it, but I think sooner or later Canucks need to introduce more youth on the D corps. Corrado and K-Con are really promising. Give them chance early on, if they struggle, make a move in February, around trade deadline.

I don't really know if Canucks can afford to lose Ballard, but whatstarted bothering me lately is the nagging question as to when they want to let D youngsters get some experience. Has to happen sometime and we're not planning to tank in the near future.
Isn't Tanev still a rookie? Can the Canucks afford to have two rookie defensemen in the lineup at the same time? Corrado, Connauton, and Sauve should be the callups this season. They will definitely get some actions.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Topper wrote: Which is why I'm not sold on pursuing Doan, I'm not completely adverse to the idea, but there are more pressing needs in the lineup than signing an expensive old guy.
Agree that an ideal C for the 3rd line is the team's biggest need, but the type of player they're looking for is likely a Bailey type that doesn't cost a whole lot of money.

If a Luongo deal is done, and we add a young 3rd line C, we'll still have plenty of cap space to add a Doan type.

Obviously the ideal situation, but not a stretch.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Is 30 points with the minutes Josh Bailey gets really all that impressive?

I mean don't get me wrong, I'd take him for nothing and probably also take him for fairly little.. but Manny Malhotra produced 0.08 fewer points per 60 minutes at even strength than Bailey did with 1/3 the rate of offensive zone starts.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Jovocop wrote: Isn't Tanev still a rookie? Can the Canucks afford to have two rookie defensemen in the lineup at the same time? Corrado, Connauton, and Sauve should be the callups this season. They will definitely get some actions.
I wouldn't consider him a rookie, even if he falls technically into that category. He's got 50+ games already, and is a pretty well known commodity. Having another "rookie" would make sense, and I'd like to see them get 20 or 30 games in as the other 7th defender. In my world, Alberts wouldn't play a game, cuz we wouldn't need him.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I think the Canucks really need to add a winger to the top 6 who can actually play and fight. We have too many pussies and not enough dicks. I know some are going to go on about fighting and how its not relevant but what I'm advocating is someone who can play the game and stick up for guys when it really matters.
One look at Dustin Brown destroying our top centre tells me that this need will become more pronounced as the twins head down the slope in their careers. Imagine a hit like that knocking him out for the year like Sidney Crosby? I cant. Thats a season ender for a team that is so reliant on its top players.

So who is there?
Lucic...unavailable
Doan...available and still good.
Morrow...probably available for the right price
E.Kane...available but would be a team gutting trade

Feel free to add any names here but please consider they need to be able to play in the top 6, not just fill in when needed. My choice is Doan. he comes for only money and is still only 35. he looked pretty damn good in the playoffs IMHO.
If you need air...call it in
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I think the Canucks really need to add a winger to the top 6 who can actually play and fight. We have too many pussies and not enough dicks. I know some are going to go on about fighting and how its not relevant but what I'm advocating is someone who can play the game and stick up for guys when it really matters.
One look at Dustin Brown destroying our top centre tells me that this need will become more pronounced as the twins head down the slope in their careers. Imagine a hit like that knocking him out for the year like Sidney Crosby? I cant. Thats a season ender for a team that is so reliant on its top players.

So who is there?
Lucic...unavailable
Morrow...probably available for the right price

Feel free to add any names here but please consider they need to be able to play in the top 6, not just fill in when needed. My choice is Doan. he comes for only money and is still only 35. he looked pretty damn good in the playoffs IMHO.
I gotta disagree that a fighting winger is the biggest need right now.

Brown is 6'0" and about 205 pounds, Morrow is about the same.
We have Kassian who is both bigger & heavier. as well as Bitz & Volpatti.
Garrison should give the lineup more toughness.

If Kassian lives up to his potential as a big, mean winger it should help to fix tthat problem