2012/13 season - what ONE player do we still really need?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: 2012/13 season - what ONE player do we still really need

Post by wienerdog »

^^ yep, sorry, by "long-term" I meant "long-term this season", as opposed to short term while Kesler is out.

Although we all know a work stoppage may make the whole situation moot regardless, MG has to plan for a start to the year w/o Kesler.

IMO, doing even three of the four following things:

- relying on Schroeder to make the jump
- expecting Ebbett to hold down a centre position on any line for months
- getting Lapierre to play 2C for an extended period
- expecting Malhota to play anything more than 4C

is really asking for some major trouble.

We still need a centreman. And we need him before season's beginning.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

I have been saying for over 2 years, since before they acquired Lapierre that Shawn Mathias would be a really good fit on this team.... he is big, a good skater, tenacious fore checker, has some offence and can kill penalties, and is only 24 years old...
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

wienerdog wrote: IMO, doing even three of the four following things:

- relying on Schroeder to make the jump
- expecting Ebbett to hold down a centre position on any line for months
- getting Lapierre to play 2C for an extended period
- expecting Malhota to play anything more than 4C

is really asking for some major trouble.

We still need a centreman. And we need him before season's beginning.
+1
Potatoe1 wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote: Seems to me that we are looking for a 2nd line center. Not a 1st, not a 3rd (AKA Pahlsson)
Given that Kesler is out until Nov or Dec, and will probably not be back in form until a month or two later, we're going to need a solid 2nd line center for most of the season. Having Kesler ease his way back with 3rd line duties and then having 3 bona fide pivots come playoff time would be nice.
I'm not terribly worried about the first few months of the season.

Second line centers are typically quite expensive to trade for or sign so picking one up just to fill in while Kesler gets healthy might not be the best use of assets.
I was actually thinking more long-term, another 2nd line center would give the Canucks 3 good scoring lines, (assuming that Kassian improves as a solid 2nd/3rd winger)

Seems to me that the Canucks would be better with scoring punch from the 3rd line, and leave the 4th line Manny/Lappierre in the checking role. Pahlsson & manny just couldn't provide much offence, letting other teams concentrate on shutting down the top 2 lines.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I'd like to see Gillis acquire a bona fide #2C for both the short and long term future of the club. If there is one position up front you can't have enough depth at, its down the middle.

Once Kesler comes back, move him to the wing with the Sedins full-time. Its not as though AV won't juggle the lines when the need arises anyway.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

BladesofSteel wrote:I'd like to see Gillis acquire a bona fide #2C for both the short and long term future of the club. If there is one position up front you can't have enough depth at, its down the middle.

Once Kesler comes back, move him to the wing with the Sedins full-time. Its not as though AV won't juggle the lines when the need arises anyway.
Bingo !!

A play making centre, now they've made their move for a D this is the next need IMO. Kesler would be great with a real play maker.
cheers
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Signing Doan should be priority #1 at this point, as MG doesn't have to give up any assets to acquire such a player.

Then work on our depth via trade (luongo) or ufa signings.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Doan would be a LARGE addition to this club indeed.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Zamboni Driver wrote: I was actually thinking more long-term, another 2nd line center would give the Canucks 3 good scoring lines, (assuming that Kassian improves as a solid 2nd/3rd winger)

Any second line caliber center is going to get buried behind Hank and Kesler both of whom are first line caliber guys who will likely continue to eat up at least 40 of the 60 min available minutes in that position.

I think Gillis is on the right track looking for a big, young, 2-way guy to play the 12 to 13 min available behind Kes and Hank.
Last edited by Potatoe1 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

In the previous Power Forward thread, I picked out a few players that I thought the Canucks could target:

Brenden Morrow
Jamie Benn
David Booth
Brandon Dubinsky
Shane Doan
Ryan Malone
Evander Kane

Does it strike anyone as odd that, other than Benn and Morrow, every other player on that list has been speculated to be available, or is already acquired?

Hmmmm, I wonder if Power Forwards in the NHL are more transient that we think - otherwise why would any team want to let them go?

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

Southern_Canuck wrote:In the previous Power Forward thread, I picked out a few players that I thought the Canucks could target:

Brenden Morrow
Jamie Benn
David Booth
Brandon Dubinsky
Shane Doan
Ryan Malone
Evander Kane
Morrow would be a good pickup -- I could see Dallas trading him as they seem to be ditching most of their old guard this off-season. Some of the pundits are already predicting he's next on the block.

He'd also be a good Doan substitute as he's a pretty similar type of player. Although most folks are rosterbating about signing Doan, I have a hard time believing he leaves PHX. Either way, he's not making a decision for another week.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

surreal78 wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:In the previous Power Forward thread, I picked out a few players that I thought the Canucks could target:

Brenden Morrow
Jamie Benn
David Booth
Brandon Dubinsky
Shane Doan
Ryan Malone
Evander Kane
Morrow would be a good pickup -- I could see Dallas trading him as they seem to be ditching most of their old guard this off-season. Some of the pundits are already predicting he's next on the block.

He'd also be a good Doan substitute as he's a pretty similar type of player. Although most folks are rosterbating about signing Doan, I have a hard time believing he leaves PHX. Either way, he's not making a decision for another week.

Yes Dallas is getting younger. Ask Whitney and Jager.
The only HW the Canucks need
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

Hockey Widow wrote:Yes Dallas is getting younger. Ask Whitney and Jager.
They're ditching the old guard to replace them with the older guard. :)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

TDA Rum wrote:I have been saying for over 2 years, since before they acquired Lapierre that Shawn Mathias would be a really good fit on this team.... he is big, a good skater, tenacious fore checker, has some offence and can kill penalties, and is only 24 years old...
Never mind Matthias, we should just trade our entire team to to Florida for their entire team. It will happen eventually. Why wait???
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Brenden Morrow
Jamie Benn
David Booth
Brandon Dubinsky
Shane Doan
Ryan Malone
Evander Kane

Does it strike anyone as odd that, other than Benn and Morrow, every other player on that list has been speculated to be available, or is already acquired?

Hmmmm, I wonder if Power Forwards in the NHL are more transient that we think - otherwise why would any team want to let them go?

S_C
David Booth is a Power Forward? Could have fooled me.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ballard to the Islanders for their 3rd line centre Josh Bailey, he's young, decent size, cheap, good skill set, decent numbers, good ol' Canadian kid. What's not to like? The Islanders have centre prospect Strome waiting in the wings. Their 1 and 2 centres are Tavares and Nielsen. It's a good deal for both teams. The Isles are apparently interested in Ballard.