2012/13 season - what ONE player do we still really need?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: 2012/13 season - what ONE player do we still really need

Post by dbr »

donlever wrote:On Semin (Craig Button tweet):

Alex Semin past 4 seasons: 271 points in 277 GP (NHL Rank) .978 pts per game (14) .44 goals per game (11th). +92 (4th amongst all forwards)

More Alexander Semin facts: +92 past 4 seasons. Only 4 players have a better +/-: Chara (108) Burrows (107) H. Sedin (106) D. Sedin (104)
Honestly I would take a look at Semin - if the prevailing opinion among fans and media is correct ( :look: ) he could end up being very underpaid for his skill level - however if the guy is still unable to speak the language to me that's just the straw that breaks the camel's back (in addition to questions about his compete level, defensive play, IMO the biggest question of all being the move from the SE division to the Western Conference).
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

I'd say we'd do very, very well if we could add Nash to the right side of the Sedin's! Drop Burr back to play with Kess!

How, don't ask me??? Luongo would have to be part of the package. More bumps in that road than a Saskatchewan highway but the question was posed and that's my answer. Hank, Dank and Nash would be a thing of beauty. :thumbs:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ODB wrote:I'd say we'd do very, very well if we could add Nash to the right side of the Sedin's! Drop Burr back to play with Kess!

How, don't ask me??? Luongo would have to be part of the package. More bumps in that road than a Saskatchewan highway but the question was posed and that's my answer. Hank, Dank and Nash would be a thing of beauty. :thumbs:
How about Hartnell? He showed some chemistry with the Sedins during the all star game. I am not sure how MG can get Hartnell but he could be a cheaper option than Nash or Ryan.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Semin? Good god no - the team needs players who trhive in the playoffs, not those who disappear!

Doan is the answer - he's hungry to win the cup and go far in the playoffs, he's big and durable, and he's mean - will hit to hurt and won't take any crap from anyone.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

If we're looking short term Doan is the man. I see Taylor Pyatt just left the Coyotes is this a sign that players are starting to worry about the possible ownership ?

If how ever we're looking longer term Ryan would be better. However i understand Bobby Clarke has a close relationship with the Ryan family .... so we may end up picking up a player from the Flyers ? Hartnell would be ideal
cheers
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Doan or Semin would be awesome, you'd think MG would have to find another Russian to acquire to make him more comfy.

Doan probably wants at least 3-4 years contract, leaving him one year on the UFA front to play with Winnipeg or whatever happens to Phoenix.

MG will probably have to offer Semin something like 8 years $50M, our new Russian rocket. ;)
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

the Dogsalmon wrote:is Jesus the answer???
jesus is bowling with the dude and when he isn't he is a peter ass :shock:
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

dbr wrote:
donlever wrote:On Semin (Craig Button tweet):

Alex Semin past 4 seasons: 271 points in 277 GP (NHL Rank) .978 pts per game (14) .44 goals per game (11th). +92 (4th amongst all forwards)

More Alexander Semin facts: +92 past 4 seasons. Only 4 players have a better +/-: Chara (108) Burrows (107) H. Sedin (106) D. Sedin (104)
Honestly I would take a look at Semin - if the prevailing opinion among fans and media is correct ( :look: ) he could end up being very underpaid for his skill level - however if the guy is still unable to speak the language to me that's just the straw that breaks the camel's back (in addition to questions about his compete level, defensive play, IMO the biggest question of all being the move from the SE division to the Western Conference).
the best twitter account going... :lol:
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Zamboni Driver wrote: Seems to me that we are looking for a 2nd line center. Not a 1st, not a 3rd (AKA Pahlsson)

Given that Kesler is out until Nov or Dec, and will probably not be back in form until a month or two later, we're going to need a solid 2nd line center for most of the season. Having Kesler ease his way back with 3rd line duties and then having 3 bona fide pivots come playoff time would be nice.

I'm not terribly worried about the first few months of the season.

Second line centers are typically quite expensive to trade for or sign so picking one up just to fill in while Kesler gets healthy might not be the best use of assets.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Diehard1 wrote:Semin? Good god no - the team needs players who trhive in the playoffs, not those who disappear!

Doan is the answer - he's hungry to win the cup and go far in the playoffs, he's big and durable, and he's mean - will hit to hurt and won't take any crap from anyone.
Not a big Semin fan but he could be a very good "value signing" given how bad his repudiation is.

He was an excellent performer both in the regular season and playoffs, before the caps decided they needed to play like the 2001 New Jersey Devils.

I think he would light it up here and because of his bad rep and poor season he might not cost an arm and a leg.

I mean people keep talking about needing a playmaker for the second line, is there a better playmaker available then Semin?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I thought Andrew Ebbett was our missing link down the middle?

Seriously though. We need some high end skill on the top 2 lines, get rid of Booth, a whole new bottom 6 except Hansen and a nasty piece of business 6th defenseman who isn't puny like Balltard. What one player? Hmmmm, I would say somebody to play with Kesler when Kesler gets back whom has the on ice vision to actually make plays for his linemates, who that is, is a real good guess.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:Semin? Good god no - the team needs players who trhive in the playoffs, not those who disappear!

Not a big Semin fan but he could be a very good "value signing" given how bad his repudiation is.

He was an excellent performer both in the regular season and playoffs, before the caps decided they needed to play like the 2001 New Jersey Devils.

I think he would light it up here and because of his bad rep and poor season he might not cost an arm and a leg.

I mean people keep talking about needing a playmaker for the second line, is there a better playmaker available then Semin?
Word is that Semin is highly emotional and a bit of an odd ball in the dressing room. Sorry, do not want that here.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Potatoe1 wrote:I'm not terribly worried about the first few months of the season.

Second line centers are typically quite expensive to trade for or sign so picking one up just to fill in while Kesler gets healthy might not be the best use of assets.
I think it would be a terrible use of assets, unless we're talking about trading Luongo for somebody like Bjugstad and looking long term.

We should be able to easily win our division on the strength of our special teams, goaltending, defense, solid group of wingers and one of the top scoring lines in the league even if Kesler is gone for months on end. Frankly, I think a bit of adversity might be good for this group, and maybe Kesler being gone would help keep the boys focused in the early goings.

The big question mark for me is the 3rd line. Can Manny become an effective player again or is he done (IMO he's done)? Lapierre has shown that he can be an effective 4th liner and versatile enough to contribute elsewhere for stretches, but can he continue to improve, take the bull by the horns and grab the #3C job?

I think the likely scenario is that we go into camp with the forward group looking pretty much as is, and guys like Schroeder and Lapierre (heck maybe even Gaunce and Ebbett) are given the opportunity to make something out of the first few months of the season on the second and third lines. It's too bad Higgins isn't a centre. He'd be an almost ideal #3C on this team.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote: Seems to me that we are looking for a 2nd line center. Not a 1st, not a 3rd (AKA Pahlsson)

Given that Kesler is out until Nov or Dec, and will probably not be back in form until a month or two later, we're going to need a solid 2nd line center for most of the season. Having Kesler ease his way back with 3rd line duties and then having 3 bona fide pivots come playoff time would be nice.

I'm not terribly worried about the first few months of the season.

Fair enough - and agreed pot.

But who do you see being our long-term 3C solution? Lapierre? Malhotra?

If need be, I'm actually reasonably ok w Lapierre there, as I think he's earned a look at a longer stretch as the 3rd line pivot. He was pretty damn good during the Cup run.

I'm just not at all convinced that MM can handle more than spot duty. Such a drop-off since the injury.

So: Sedin, Kesler, Lapierre, Malhotra - could work, but could be so much better.

Sedin, Lapierre / Schroeder, Lapierre / Schroeder, Malhotra - for two+ months scares the fuck out of me. Adding Ebbett to that stir fry doesn't spice it up much either.

_______

What are people's thoughts on Fleischmann? I don't really know anything about the player, except that he had some kind of health problem?...

A friend suggested that we could try and snag him in a Luongo trade w the Cats b/c he can supposedly play both centre and wing. He could help plug the hole in Kes' absence, and then slot over when he returns.

This is why an asshole like Ott would have been so damn handy.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

wienerdog wrote: Fair enough - and agreed pot.

But who do you see being our long-term 3C solution? Lapierre? Malhotra?

Gillis is pushing for Bjugstad and just drafted a similar player so he obviously has his sights set on filling that spot with a certian type of player (Big, 2-way, young, etc).

There is a long team plan, I would be more worried about the short term.

If need be, I'm actually reasonably ok w Lapierre there, as I think he's earned a look at a longer stretch as the 3rd line pivot. He was pretty damn good during the Cup run.

I'm fairly sure they want Lappy on the 4th line.
So: Sedin, Kesler, Lapierre, Malhotra - could work, but could be so much better.
I'm not expecting Manny to make the team this season.

I think Gillis will add a 3rd line type and Ebbett / Schroder will fill in on the second line for a few months.
What are people's thoughts on Fleischmann? I don't really know anything about the player, except that he had some kind of health problem?...
Gillis apparently tried to trade for him 2 years ago. I think they like him a lot but it doesn't matter he was great for the Panthers last year, they wont want to move him.