Free Trade Deals - 2012

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Free Trade Deals - 2012

Post by the Dogsalmon »

coco_canuck wrote:
donlever wrote: Larry Robinson would not get enough love.

Potvin is in the argument.

Sooo many....
Just a few more off the top of my head, no particular order:

Shore
S.Niedermayer
Bourque
Coffey
Stevens
L.Murphy

definitely Bourque and Coffey(for offensive abilities alone)...
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Orr is on a plateau far above the rest.

Tim Horton there with Harvey and Lidstrom, Big Bird and Savard far above the likes of Coffey, Stevens, Murphy and Bourque.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:Orr is on a plateau far above the rest.

Tim Horton there with Harvey and Lidstrom, Big Bird and Savard far above the likes of Coffey, Stevens, Murphy and Bourque.
While there is no questioning Orr's talent, do you think we would have seen the same end-to-end rushes and point totals if he had played today?

It's the same old argument anyone makes when comparing players from different era's. Sport science wasn't what it is now back when Orr was playing. The greats from the past were great because they were the most dedicated and gifted in a time where pure talent and decent conditioning set you apart from the pack. With the athletic conditioning you see today, and the level of coaching/training that every player has received when they get to the NHL level, I think that those great players would still be great, but they wouldn't be waist, head, and shoulders, above the pack the way they were back then.

The rules have also changed.....or rather the way they are enforced has, I think that would have a huge impact as well.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Just imagine what today's sports science could have done for those knees.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Topper wrote:Just imagine what today's sports science could have done for those knees.
Or Pavel's, for that matter.
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399877

Detroit apparently offering Suter $90m/13years. This strikes me as a Kovalchukesqe contract.... a little cap circumvention front loading in there?

Amazing that we've arguably never found a real No1 D, and the Preds had two. Although one has to ask: Is Suter *that* good? How will he look when he isn't playing alongside Shea Weber?

I also think Mëds is right. I don't think we'll ever see another player dominate the league the way Lemeuix/Gretzky/Orr did. The consistency of coaching and training across the league now is too good. I recall that Gretzky said as much himself; that when he came into the league there were players who couldn't take a pass on the backhand, etc.