2012/13 season - what ONE player do we still really need?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

2012/13 season - what ONE player do we still really need?

Post by Zamboni Driver »

So the big July 1 free agent frenzy is over, and the teams have mostly solidified their lineups. :|
There was some wild speculation going around a couple months back (Schneider + Kesler or Edler + pick for Nash :roll: ), I didn't think that GMMG was going to blow up the team following back to back President's trophies - and it still seems that he likes his lineup.

Suter or Weber or Parise or Nash would be nice, but I didn't get the impression that they want to come to BC, or that Gillis would start throwing crazy money in a bidding war.

So if we are looking for the final piece of the puzzle, what do we need?
With the addition of Garrison we have our top 4 D set, so I can't see a major change unless a blue chip #1 becomes available.
Seems that we have enough wingers, with Hansen, MayRay & Kassian slotted into the 3rd line, or replacing injuries in the top 6

Seems to me that we are looking for a 2nd line center. Not a 1st, not a 3rd (AKA Pahlsson)

Given that Kesler is out until Nov or Dec, and will probably not be back in form until a month or two later, we're going to need a solid 2nd line center for most of the season. Having Kesler ease his way back with 3rd line duties and then having 3 bona fide pivots come playoff time would be nice.

I could see the 'Nucks bring up a rookie center for the 3rd line to start the season, and have Manny/Lapierre stay on the 4th line.
Do we think that Lapierre/Ebbett or an AHL rookie can center the 2nd line?
Who would we look to take the job while Kes is out?
What 2nd line centers are available and what would we give up?
Last edited by Zamboni Driver on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: 2012/13 season - what ONE player do we still really need

Post by the Dogsalmon »

is Jesus the answer???
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

the Dogsalmon wrote:is Jesus the answer???
No, Jesus is a goalie (he saves)...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

the Dogsalmon wrote:is Jesus the answer???
No, he plays baseball.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

The one player we really need is a guy who can moonlight at center but more importantly can play on the wing on a scoring line, a guy with some degree of creativity and enough skill to play on lines 1-3 but ideally is a fit with Ryan Kesler and David Booth.

Trouble is, I don't think there are too many players out there - let alone in unrestricted free agency.

If push came to shove I'd take a guy who can play the wing over a guy who can play center - assuming Jordan Schroeder is where people say he is in his development I would be okay going with Hank/JS/Manny/Max down the middle for a few weeks, especially if we had the skill level on the wings to compensate for the lack of depth.

To me having a player who improves the second line is probably more important than a player who improves the third line (presumably both acquisitions would improve the lines below them by pushing others down the depth chart).

On the free agent market you might be talking about a Shane Doan or Jaromir Jagr.. less realistic options might be Alex Semin (who I don't see as a fit, I think the guy still uses an interpreter in addition to not exactly fitting the Canucks prototype) or of course Zach Parise. In a Luongo trade maybe a player like Kris Versteeg is a guy you want to look at.

Going back to my original idea (a player who can moonlight at center or skate with Kesler) a guy like TJ Oshie would be ideal. Of course I think the odds of St. Louis trading their leading scorer are pretty slim given our most tradeable asset is a goaltender and they are probably pretty happy with theirs.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

dbr wrote:On the free agent market you might be talking about a Shane Doan or Jaromir Jagr.
Been wondering for a while whether Jagr would be a good fit here.

The rumors always say he wants to stay out East, but you hear that about a lot of players that play east of the Mississippi.

Apparently, he's a real hard-worker in training and is great with mentoring younger players.

Like most, I'd much rather have Doan, but I'd also be comfortable in signing Jagr - especially if he'd do a one year big-$ deal so we get him off the books for next season.

Thoughts?
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

The one guy that's still out there that I'd love to have is Shane Doan. Although Jagr might be ok for a year too.

I dunno, the teams seems like it has a few holes (more than last year). Would love a big physical defensive D-man still, a bryan allen type, but he's gone. Maybe garrison will fill that role. Up front, there's still the question mark of Malhotra, can he regain his form pre-eye injury and a true enforcer (legitimate heavy weight) would be nice as well.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

I was thinking that Ribeiro or Derek Roy might fit - a 2nd line guy that would go for less after a subpar season (and hopefully rebound)

Doan would be interesting - but do the Yotes want to let him go? (Assuming that he wants to stay there)

Semin would be a gamble, if he doesn't go to the KHL anyways....
dbr wrote:The one player we really need is a guy who can moonlight at center but more importantly can play on the wing on a scoring line, a guy with some degree of creativity and enough skill to play on lines 1-3 but ideally is a fit with Ryan Kesler and David Booth.

Trouble is, I don't think there are too many players out there - let alone in unrestricted free agency.

If push came to shove I'd take a guy who can play the wing over a guy who can play center - assuming Jordan Schroeder is where people say he is in his development I would be okay going with Hank/JS/Manny/Max down the middle for a few weeks, especially if we had the skill level on the wings to compensate for the lack of depth.

To me having a player who improves the second line is probably more important than a player who improves the third line (presumably both acquisitions would improve the lines below them by pushing others down the depth chart).

On the free agent market you might be talking about a Shane Doan or Jaromir Jagr.. less realistic options might be Alex Semin (who I don't see as a fit, I think the guy still uses an interpreter in addition to not exactly fitting the Canucks prototype) or of course Zach Parise. In a Luongo trade maybe a player like Kris Versteeg is a guy you want to look at.

Going back to my original idea (a player who can moonlight at center or skate with Kesler) a guy like TJ Oshie would be ideal. Of course I think the odds of St. Louis trading their leading scorer are pretty slim given our most tradeable asset is a goaltender and they are probably pretty happy with theirs.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Zamboni Driver wrote:I was thinking that Ribeiro or Derek Roy might fit - a 2nd line guy that would go for less after a subpar season (and hopefully rebound)

Doan would be interesting - but do the Yotes want to let him go? (Assuming that he wants to stay there)

No thanks on Semin.

What I don't want to see is MG enter the season with unused cap space. I want us to spend every dollar we can to make the team better.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

On Semin (Craig Button tweet):

Alex Semin past 4 seasons: 271 points in 277 GP (NHL Rank) .978 pts per game (14) .44 goals per game (11th). +92 (4th amongst all forwards)

More Alexander Semin facts: +92 past 4 seasons. Only 4 players have a better +/-: Chara (108) Burrows (107) H. Sedin (106) D. Sedin (104)
Last edited by donlever on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeLevering since 1999.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Zamboni Driver wrote:I was thinking that Ribeiro or Derek Roy might fit - a 2nd line guy that would go for less after a subpar season (and hopefully rebound)
If Gillis signed or traded for Ribeiro I would hope that someone would shoot them both. I can't stand Riberio every time we played Dallas this year I was hoping that someone would run him from behind and end his career. Actually I was hoping to see that every time I saw a highlight of any game that included the Stars.

Doan would just be an older and upgraded Booth. But he plays hard.

Semin is a classic Russian sniper. He floats and does absolutely nothing until an opportunity presents itself then he pounces. But until that opportunity is there he's useless, and in a game where it's tight and he has to fight for the puck.....well he just disappears.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

wienerdog wrote:

No thanks on Semin.

What I don't want to see is MG enter the season with unused cap space. I want us to spend every dollar we can to make the team better.
Agreed, the Canucks need to get bigger and tougher, not wimpier.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

donlever wrote:On Semin (Craig Button tweet):

Alex Semin past 4 seasons: 271 points in 277 GP (NHL Rank) .978 pts per game (14) .44 goals per game (11th). +92 (4th amongst all forwards)

More Alexander Semin facts: +92 past 4 seasons. Only 4 players have a better +/-: Chara (108) Burrows (107) H. Sedin (106) D. Sedin (104)
Kinda blows up the notion that he's not defensively responsible.
Mëds wrote:
Semin is a classic Russian sniper. He floats and does absolutely nothing until an opportunity presents itself then he pounces. But until that opportunity is there he's useless, and in a game where it's tight and he has to fight for the puck.....well he just disappears.
Pretty hard to average +23 for 4 years in a row just floating in the defensive end. :eh:
And considering that he was hardly playing in front of Vezina calibre goalie...
Last edited by Zamboni Driver on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

I don't know.

Semin was a pretty effective and high pressure player when the Caps were playing an uptempo style.

With the right offence and structure, Semin can be an explosive player.

It's unlikely to happen, but I'd take a 1 year flyer on Semin.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

coco_canuck wrote:I don't know.

Semin was a pretty effective and high pressure player when the Caps were playing an uptempo style.

With the right offence and structure, Semin can be an explosive player.

It's unlikely to happen, but I'd take a 1 year flyer on Semin.

i'd be okay with a one year deal for him...he adds some serious offensive talent...with 4 defensively minded DMEN it might work out okay...