CANUCKS SIGN UFA JASON GARRISON

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: CANUCKS SIGN UFA JASON GARRISON

Post by Potatoe1 »

UWSaint wrote:While there is some risk to signing players to a long term deal, this has been the trend under the structure of the current CBA -- a structure that I doubt will be overhauled in this round of negotiations.
Yeah I found it odd to hear people complain about the term on Garrisons deal.

When a guy is 27 does it really matter if his deal is 4 or 6 years ?

This isn't a deal taking him to 38 or 39, it's one taking him to 33, an age which most defensemen are still very effective.

The main risk in any deal like this is that the player either doesn't fit in or their play tails off because there isn't the same amount of urgency anymore. I don't think term beyond 3 years matter much for those problems especially if term is given to reduce the yearly cap hit.

If a guy does fit in and their effort doesn't tail off then you probably want the longer contract because as you pointed out, an effective defenseman will be drastically underpaid by the end of a long term contract.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Potatoe1 wrote:If a guy does fit in and their effort doesn't tail off then you probably want the longer contract because as you pointed out, an effective defenseman will be drastically underpaid by the end of a long term contract.
Exactly.

We have seen this time and time again with top four defensemen in Vancouver.

The $3.5M-ish four year contracts Jovo, Ohlund and Salo had nearly 10 years ago as our top three defensemen were big deals when they were signed, but became dirt cheap over time. Injury aside, Willie Mitchell's contract with the Canucks was very affordable by the time it was nearing expiration. Kevin Bieksa's last deal was the same way, and we're seeing the same thing with Alexander Edler who is due for a big raise from his current $3.25M deal, which looks like a steal at this point.

In a couple of years, the contracts of Bieksa, Hamhuis and Garrison, which already seem fair IMO, will likely look very good as long as we don't see significant erosion in these player's performance.

As long as we don't see a big reduction in league wide revenues which corresponds to a salary cap reduction, these 4-6 year deals on 26 or 27 year old free agents are the way to go. The inflationary nature of the salary cap gradually reduces these cap hits as an overall percentage of the total to a point where they are very affordable in their last couple of years.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

herb wrote:
In a couple of years, the contracts of Bieksa, Hamhuis and Garrison, which already seem fair IMO, will likely look very good as long as we don't see significant erosion in these player's performance.

Dans deal already looks like a steal. I would gladly stick an extra 2 years on it vs having to re-up him in 4 years when he's 33 and likely every bit as effective as he is now.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^^^^ Everyone should read Pot/Herb/UW's posts above.

Can't believe Gillis snagged Garrison @ only a $4.6mil cap hit in this market!

____
Try to focus on someday.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Don't know much at all about Garrison but the reports and opinions are encouraging!

Seems like a good deal all around and he's a local guy which is nice to have.

:thumbs:
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

The most promising is that that the people at the mogloid farm believe it's a horrible deal. Pretty much seals things right there.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Well, I have no expectations that Garrison will ever score 16 goals again - that seems like an anomaly.

But the Canucks have a need for a steady, "2-way", right-side-capable defenceman that can get the puck out his own zone efficiently, contribute to the offence, and not need to be sheltered against other team's best players.

It seems to me that Garrison might fit that bill, so it looks like a good signing. If he can deliver, he instantly moves to the #4 spot at worst.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

tantalum wrote:The most promising is that that the people at the mogloid farm believe it's a horrible deal. Pretty much seals things right there.
That's a nasty thing to say.

Leave the poor seals out of this.
2011..... the one that got away.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Many are suggesting that playing with Campbell was the reason Garrison did so well and there fore won't do so well here. IMO he's not exactly playing with chopped liver here. I have to think the 'Nucks style will or should be a good fit ( would have been a good fit for Schultz too)

I'm hoping he bring shades of Erhoff to the team
cheers
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Fred wrote:Many are suggesting that playing with Campbell was the reason Garrison did so well and there fore won't do so well here. IMO he's not exactly playing with chopped liver here. I have to think the 'Nucks style will or should be a good fit ( would have been a good fit for Schultz too)

I'm hoping he bring shades of Erhoff to the team
All comes down to chemistry. I think there's reason to believe that there is skill enough in the lineup to feed him the puck, but we'll have to wait and see how he fares. There's no saying he can't adapt and thrive with the partners with whom he may find himself.

As for me, forget shades of Erhoff - I hope he brings shades of Salo.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Well, I have no expectations that Garrison will ever score 16 goals again - that seems like an anomaly.

S_C
Playing #1 PP minutes, I think those numbers are a REAL possibility. Playing with the twins and having almost a minute more of poweplay time per game, Ehrhoff was able to notch 9 goals on the man advantage with the canucks.

People keep on talk about how Jason was onlu able to put up those points because he was playing beside Brian Campbell on the power play and even stength... are people forgetting that we have two players who are arguably the best a man up in the league? As well as his potential partner only had 4 less points the BC51.

I think all in all it's possible on this team that he reaches 16 goals again, if not at least get 33+ points.
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

Well Fred beat me to it...
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Lancer wrote:
.... forget shades of Erhoff - I hope he brings shades of Salo.
+1

When healthy & not fatiqued by too much ice time, Sami was our most dependable D man.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'm hearing lots of Adrian Aucoin comparisons regarding Garrison. Is that about ballpark?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

RoyalDude wrote:I'm hearing lots of Adrian Aucoin comparisons regarding Garrison. Is that about ballpark?
"Hearing" lots of voices lately, eh dude?