Scott Stevens retires

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Stevens: Hall of Fame?

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 19

jchockey
MVP
MVP

Scott Stevens retires

Post by jchockey »

Confirmed by SNet, TSN, and ESPN.

Lou has some work to do this month. 5 million over the cap and lacking depth on defense and offense with elias out at least for the first 2 months with heptatits a.

with his retirement, look to hear from al macinnis and mark messier soon, whether it be a signing or retirement (please let it be retirement). can i hear a 'hall of fame' for stevens?
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I saw that while eating lunch at Milestones on TSN. I voted yes, but I am more in the undecided category. I don't think he was Great, he was very very good, but Great is another thing. I assume he will end up there, just because the NHL seems to be searching madly for players that newer fans can recognize, so I think he will. Does he deserve it? I am really not sure.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

yeah i posted that poll and thought about it later... it should be:
Scott Stevens: Hall of Fame worthy?
- Yes
- Yes, but he won't get in
- No
- No, but he will get in
mindbender
CC Rookie

Post by mindbender »

Always loved Scott Stevens. One of the best pure hitters in the game ever in my opinion. A superb leader who showed up in the playoffs every year big time. He "always" made an impact. Brodeur is gonna face a few more shots now that both of his best defencement are gone. I say he gets in the hall of fame eventually as he doesn't have bad numbers, played more games than any NHL defencemen over his 22 year career, has 3 Stanley Cups, 13 time all star and played for Team Canada many times. Not a bad career at all.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

If Larry Murphy makes it - then Scott Stevens does.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

They just had a pretty good blurp on him on the Score tonite ... said he has played the most games ever by a d-man ... 1600 & change .. 908 points too ... pretty good for a "defensive defenceman" ...

Best of luck to him ...

Grizz
VHF
CC Rookie

Post by VHF »

I will be shocked if Stevens doesn't make it.
mindbender wrote:Always loved Scott Stevens. One of the best pure hitters in the game ever in my opinion. A superb leader who showed up in the playoffs every year big time. He "always" made an impact. Brodeur is gonna face a few more shots now that both of his best defencement are gone. I say he gets in the hall of fame eventually as he doesn't have bad numbers, played more games than any NHL defencemen over his 22 year career, has 3 Stanley Cups, 13 time all star and played for Team Canada many times. Not a bad career at all.
Agreed. His NHL career stats back up your comments: 1867 GP, 1026 PTS, +358 (+/-), and thousands of solid hits to the opposition. He was the best Dman in the league for a decade! A fierce competitor who lead-by-example.

On a side note, in his 22 year NHL career, Stevens played in the playoffs every year except one. In the 1995-96 season, when there were only 26 teams, New Jersey just missed the playoffs with 86 pts ( 2 pts shy) and finished 9th in the Eastern Conference. Interestingly, their point total would have been good enough to put them in 4th in the Western Conference, six points more than the 5th place teams, and good enough for home ice advantage in Round 1 of the playoffs. I'm glad the eastern teams aren't dominating like they use to.
it's just a game...dammit!
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

His NHL career stats back up your comments: 1867 GP, 1026 PTS, +358 (+/-),
Regular season stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... 5B%5D=5180

GP 1635
G 196
A 712
P 908

I am assuming you also have playoffs in there ...

Grizz
VHF
CC Rookie

Post by VHF »

Grizzly wrote:
His NHL career stats back up your comments: 1867 GP, 1026 PTS, +358 (+/-),
Regular season stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... 5B%5D=5180

GP 1635
G 196
A 712
P 908

I am assuming you also have playoffs in there ...

Grizz
yup!
it's just a game...dammit!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

He should make the HOF for the 'Lindros Hit' alone.... ;)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Madcombinepilot wrote:He should make the HOF for the 'Lindros Hit' alone.... ;)
Isn't that the truth, Stevens has just given Lindros a make up kiss, another year in the league Eric now we're even LOL
cheers
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

hes a lock for the hall. not many better leaders in the game than Stevens. only man I know that could turn a series with one hit.
GusAdams
AHL Prospect

Post by GusAdams »

What's that sound?.... A huge sigh of relief from forwards across the league. His presence on the ice changed the way the opposition played the game, very few d-men do that. He's in the hall for sure but I would not be surprised to see him come back.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

He will be truly missed by the guys that assemble the highlight reels...

Great career - HOF'er.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Heavy_P
AHL Prospect

Post by Heavy_P »

I think so. He does'nt have the numbers of some of the other d-men, but he led a team to a few cups, he was a great leader, and a feared competator. Based on that - I think he's hall bound.
"No, if your jaw were broken, you would'nt be able to talk...and my life would be much easier." - Oracle