UEFA Euro 2012

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Puck
MVP
MVP

Re: UEFA Euro 2012

Post by Puck »

Per,

Too bad Sweden didn't find yesterday's defensive performance a week earlier. Nice win for your guys AND ONE SERIOUSLY IMPRESSIVE GOAL BY IBRAHIMOVIC :shock: That was a joy to watch.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Puck wrote:Per,

Too bad Sweden didn't find yesterday's defensive performance a week earlier. Nice win for your guys AND ONE SERIOUSLY IMPRESSIVE GOAL BY IBRAHIMOVIC :shock: That was a joy to watch.
Possibly the best goal of the tournament thus far.

Truly enjoyed watching the game, and I have no idea why they couldn't play like this against the Ukraine. :(
Nerves? Maybe. And of course there was the home crowd, which seems to have more of an impact in soccer than in eg hockey. Still. Sweden is a better team than the Ukies, and that was the game we really had to win, and in that game we failed utterly. The game against England was OK. Both teams played good offense but poor defense. A lucky bounce here or there and we would have had a draw. And then, when it's already too late, we play an almost perfect game against the French, a team that had been undefeated for a 23 game streak... :?

Anyway, this win made every one feel better. And this fall we start playing qualification games for the 2014 World Cup. 8-)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Italia !!!! :shock: :lol: 8-) :devil:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Per wrote:Sweden eliminated, but at least we left on a high note, beating France 2-0.

Quarter finals are set:

Portugal vs Czechs *CHECK*
Spain vs France *CHECK*
Germany vs Greece *CHECK*
Italy vs England *CHECK*

I predict semi finals as Portugal vs Spain and Germany vs Italy. *CHECK*

Spain and Germany square off in the final.

I'll be rooting for Spain, but think Germany will win.
:drink:
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I really hope to see Germany take on Spain. Spain are just looking so controlled. I want to see if that impressive German midfield with Ozil and Schweinsteiger can break them down. I actually thought France played pretty well against them, but couldn't really get that one last pass to generate a chance. And did you notice that one mistake* - the defender falling down, which allowed the cross - led almost immediately to a goal? Spain have crazy skill.

The elite of this tournament are those teams that can bring the ball forward with control. In the quarter-final round all 8 teams played well (especially defensively) , but the four victors had the consistent ability to attack with control. England, the Czechs, Greece, and even France were unable to break down their opposition with any kind of lasting control. If France had not lost to Sweden in game 3, would they have played Italy? If so, I think Les Bleus would have had a good chance to win that. Italy have very good team balance, though...

The best team advanced in each game. That's a good thing.

------------
* It wasn't really just one mistake, Florent Malouda stood around watching while Xabi Alonso came into the box un-contested to head home the cross. That was BRUTAL.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Well Spain has now taken down my two teams in a row. Bastards!

I thought Portugal were the better team in the first 90 minutes but were clearly wearing down in extra time as Spain took full advantage. As much as reports may bemoan the Spaniards' inability to dazzle with their play, they were effectively shut down by an ultra aggressive Portuguese squad. Nevertheless their playing style allowed them to expose the Portuguese near the end when they simply had more left in the tank. Some clutch saves by the Portuguese goalie to push it to shootout only to ultimately lose in the coin toss. That definitely stings but I thought it was a good game between two excellent squads.

I have been saying it all tournament but I think the real strength of Spain is the intimidation factor. The French effectively defeated themselves but the Portuguese on this night truly believed they could win and played accordingly. It should be a very interesting final providing Germany advances as predicted. This Spanish squad is still an absolute beast but I think they can be had.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

rockalt wrote:Well Spain has now taken down my two teams in a row. Bastards!

I thought Portugal were the better team in the first 90 minutes but were clearly wearing down in extra time as Spain took full advantage. As much as reports may bemoan the Spaniards' inability to dazzle with their play, they were effectively shut down by an ultra aggressive Portuguese squad. Nevertheless their playing style allowed them to expose the Portuguese near the end when they simply had more left in the tank. Some clutch saves by the Portuguese goalie to push it to shootout only to ultimately lose in the coin toss. That definitely stings but I thought it was a good game between two excellent squads.

I have been saying it all tournament but I think the real strength of Spain is the intimidation factor. The French effectively defeated themselves but the Portuguese on this night truly believed they could win and played accordingly. It should be a very interesting final providing Germany advances as predicted. This Spanish squad is still an absolute beast but I think they can be had.
Ronaldo sucked :evil: They could have easily one if not for his non-scoring.

Germany will crush the Eyetellonions! Watching it at a diehard English pub with my Welsh buddy (we use to go to Whitecap/Blizzard games back in the day....ahhh good drink'n & sing'n times), they hate Italy more than they do Germany :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

I've long been an Italy supporter since 1994 when Baggio missed that f'ing shot.

But... finding it difficult to keep following Italy after the World Cup last time. There's not one particular player on the team right now I really like besides Buffon. (But he's been on the decline)

Having said this,

Forza Italia!
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

France played much like Portugal... but only for 10 minutes. After that, they resigned themselves to being inferior and that was that. Portugal were actually very successful in disrupting Spain with an aggressive (forgive the hockey terminology) forecheck. Spain even looked slightly flustered at times - it's the first time I've seen that from them in this tournament. It should be very useful information to whoever meets them in the final.

The main reason I'm glad Spain advanced is that Portugal's only tactic, after about the 60-minute mark, was to have Ronaldo go zipping forward, go down in a spectacular heap, and get a penalty from about 22 yds. I'm sorry, the guy is crazy-skilled, but he's too much actor for me. I feel like we've seen less fouls and free kicks in this tournament than any other in the last 10-15 years, and much of that has to do with the fact that most team's are getting on with the play and the ref isn't being called on to intervene. It's really been excellent. Even nations that have historically been the worst offenders (Spain, Italy), have been staying with the play and trying to keep possession rather than flopping over and hoping for the call. It's a good trend. I hope it continues.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

CrzyCanuck wrote:But... finding it difficult to keep following Italy after the World Cup last time. There's not one particular player on the team right now I really like besides Buffon. (But he's been on the decline)
Maybe so, but as an impartial observer, I MUCH prefer the current Italy to any side they fielded in the 90s or 00s. Watching Italy 10 years ago meant the odds of the game going to kicks was about 90%. They defended with incredible poise and precision, but their lack of offense was DEADLY dull. These days, the Azzurri play an entertaining, balanced style.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

CrzyCanuck wrote:I've long been an Italy supporter since 1994 when Baggio missed that f'ing shot.

But... finding it difficult to keep following Italy after the World Cup last time. There's not one particular player on the team right now I really like besides Buffon. (But he's been on the decline)

Having said this,

Forza Italia!
Balotelli? :look:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Spambot! :evil:
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Per wrote: I predict semi finals as Portugal vs Spain and Germany vs Italy. CHECK

Spain and Germany square off in the final. CHE...errrrr

I'll be rooting for Spain, but think Germany will win. CHE...errr
:drink:

:P
DeLevering since 1999.
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

I think a Portugal/Germany may have been a more entertaining game, but having Italy/Spain playing, the game will be like chess. And to some it may seem boring, but it will be a very tactical and calculated play. I'm looking forward to it and see who is the strongest in the midfield as both sides have controlled the games they have played in. My prediction is Italy wins 1-0, but it could just as easily be the other way around. Flip a coin on this one.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Per wrote:Spambot! :evil:
Don't be so hard on yourself Pear. I would gladly buy an NBA jersey off you so you can buy expensive German beer for the long weekend :D

du är välkommen

8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)