Pavel Bure Elected into HHOF

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Pavel Bure Elected into HHOF

Post by Strangelove »

BladesofSteel wrote: At this stage, I couldn't care less.
Well you SHOULD care.

We were lied to and deceived.

And it cost us Bure.

The Canucks owe Bure an apology.

I hope that, at the very least, YOU won't go around spreading those BULLSHIT stories about him anymore. :evil:
____
Try to focus on someday.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

:twisted:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

:evil:
____
Try to focus on someday.
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

What if Bure donned Rangers jersey going into the hall..........

That would be an excellent revenge to Vancouver
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:
rockalt wrote: To me Sundin belongs in the category of a Naslund, with Nazzy being a better player in his prime but Sundin being consistently good for a for longer period.

But that consistency can not be overlooked. It takes a special player to play over 1300 games and post over 1300 points. That criteria alone makes him an automatic in my books. Mats was not overrated by any means,..except maybe when we thought it was wise to get him when he was old. I also disagree about Markus being a better player in their primes. He had a couple great regular seasons but nothing overly special than anything Mats did..and more importantly Markus never had much of an impact for us in the playoffs, whereas Mats for several years was a real force for the leaves.
Agreed. Mats Sundin is one of the very best players to come out of Sweden. Unfortunately he got stuck in a crap team (which he also captained from 1997 to 2008) in the NHL, and never won anything important there. But he played 18 NHL seasons, and scored 1349 points in 1346 games. That's quite a feat in itself. Excluding his rookie season, the shortened lockout season and his half season with the Vancouver Canucks, Sundin scored at least 70 points in every season of his career, played at least 70 games in every season, and led the leaves in points in every year he was with the team except 2002–03, when Alexander Mogilny beat him by seven points.

He currently ranks 27th in career scoring in the NHL, and I don't see any active players threatening that position in the next few years, and is tied with Joe Nieuwendyk for 21st in career goal scoring (564). He is also one of only two players to score at least 20 goals in each of his 17 first NHL seasons. :look:

The first European player to go as #1 in the draft (1989) and one of the first Europeans to captain an NHL team (trailing Lars Erik Sjöberg, Stastny, Steen and Mogilny).

Anyway, I think his achievements make him a natural in the HHOF.

- Canada Cup All-Star Team 90/91
- Elitserien Champion 89/90
- NHL Best Swedish Player "Viking Award" 01/02, 96/97, 93/94, 92/93
- NHL Mark Messier Leadership Award 07/08
- NHL Most Game Winning Goals 03/04
- NHL Second All-Star Team 01/02, 03/04
- Olympic Gold Medal 05/06
- Olympic Most Points 01/02
- Swedish Junior Hockey Player of the Year "Årets Junior" 89/90
- TV-Pucken Gold Medal 86/87
- World Championship All-Star Team 91/92, 97/98, 02/03
- World Championship Best Forward 91/92, 02/03
- World Championship Bronze Medal 93/94, 00/01
- World Championship Gold Medal 90/91, 91/92, 97/98
- World Championship Most Assists 93/94
- World Championship Most Points 93/94, 90/91
- World Championship MVP 02/03
- World Championship Silver Medal 89/90, 02/03
- World Cup All-Star Team 95/96
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Per wrote:
Nuckertuzzi wrote:
rockalt wrote: To me Sundin belongs in the category of a Naslund, with Nazzy being a better player in his prime but Sundin being consistently good for a for longer period.
- NHL Mark Messier Leadership Award 07/08

Sundin is hell of a player and deserved to be inducted.

But I have a huge problem with that pathetic award. F'ing Mr. Lays.
Last edited by CrzyCanuck on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

I agree Nuckertuzzi that it takes a special player to post the career numbers Sundin did and I definitely think he's worthy of being in the HOF however what I don't agree with is that he is a 1st ballot HOF'r.

If you take a look at the respective careers of Nazzy and Sundin then there's no question you take Sundin. He was definitely a better overall player however my point was that he was never a "superstar" in the sense of Bure or even Nazzy. Although he was consistently among the best in the game I can't recall a season where people talked about Sundin being a Hart Trophy finalist or even a Top 5 player in the game. Nazzy had a far less spectacular career however when he peaked in the early 2000s he was in that discussion.

I think a 1st ballot HOF'r should at least have had a few years of superstar status. That's my only contention.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Excellent. Bure was the guy who took this team's status to the next level; greatest talent to ever wear the uniform.

I have to say, since Gillis was his agent I don't quite get the negativity that is perceived between the Canucks and Bure now. I get it from the Quinn era, but not now. Botch and Gallagher have two tendentious pieces on it today, that don't add up, poorly done. Why would the present-day regime have any issues with Bure, especially Gillis who helped engineer his trade?

Anyway, probably beside the point, great for Bure...

Jim Robson's call, Bure in OT...I love the gutteral "yaahhh!" when he pots it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmS8RxkTMxs
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

CrzyCanuck wrote:

Sundin is hell of a player and deserved to be inducted.

But I have a huge problem with that pathetic award. F'ing Mr. Lays.
Messier... Top five to seven greatest players all time...

PERIOD!!

Image Image Image Image Image Image
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ODB wrote: Messier... Top five to seven greatest players all time...

PERIOD!!
Agree. I despised the 80's Oilers except for Messier, speed power skill and an edge that put a gleam in his eyes that told opponents he was likely to take a two handed swing at their heads. His tenure in Vancouver is a black cloud.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Sorry, wrong thread.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I loved Gino,

"We had common interests," Odjick said in an interview from Osoyoos, where he was attending an aboriginal economic leadership summit sponsored by the Osoyoos Indian band. "We loved two things. We loved playing hockey and women."

"It is worthy of a celebration, that's for sure," he said. "I am going to see him, maybe I will go to Russia, and we'll drink a bottle of vodka. The hockey world finally got it right."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Hall ... z1z0PYqb2O
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..saw an interview with Cliff Ronning where he said that it was Bure who changed the hockey world in terms of preparation with respect to being in shape.

He stated that when Pavel got here he was literally off the charts physically in comparison to the rest of the group and that after his arrival it became a scenario where guys got into "Pavel Bure shape" instead of the "hockey shape" they had previously strived for.

Perhaps this is where Gillis got so hot and bothered about this type of thing.

He also said he saw him in Russia 3 months back and played an exhibition with him.

Pavel apparently couldnt turn right but still managed 3 spectacular goals and the crowd went crazy for him.
DeLevering since 1999.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

dbr wrote:According to The Score's twitter account.

I wonder if we see a reconciliation between Pavel and the Canucks franchise at some point soon.
I think they have pretty much reconciled.

Aside from that - I'm extremely happy to see Pavel Bure get his due. Him, Steve Yzerman, and Trevor Linden are my three favorite players of all-time.

If Bure got himself back in hockey shape and decided to come back, he'd be doing what Teemu Selanne is doing right now. Not saying that it will happen obviously, but just stating what I think is a fact.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

donlever wrote:
He stated that when Pavel got here he was literally off the charts physically in comparison to the rest of the group and that after his arrival it became a scenario where guys got into "Pavel Bure shape" instead of the "hockey shape" they had previously strived for.
LOL. That's awesome.

That first season he was here still brings back so many fond memories for me. Before Bure got here, I kept wishing that we'd have a guy like Wayne Gretzky, or Mario Lemieux, or Patrick Roy. Just SOME guy that could take Vancouver, and put them on the map.

Bure was that guy. Seeing that first shift live in person against Winnipeg is literally one of the highlights of my life. I was extremely young at the time obviously, but I still remember the reaction of the crowd........and the"buzz" inside the arena and in the hallways.