Pavel Bure Elected into HHOF

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Pavel Bure Elected into HHOF

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

rockalt wrote: To me Sundin belongs in the category of a Naslund, with Nazzy being a better player in his prime but Sundin being consistently good for a for longer period.

But that consistency can not be overlooked. It takes a special player to play over 1300 games and post over 1300 points. That criteria alone makes him an automatic in my books. Mats was not overrated by any means,..except maybe when we thought it was wise to get him when he was old. I also disagree about Markus being a better player in their primes. He had a couple great regular seasons but nothing overly special than anything Mats did..and more importantly Markus never had much of an impact for us in the playoffs, whereas Mats for several years was a real force for the leaves.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

i remember Pavels first game as a Canuck...he took off like a goddamn rocket and cut around the defenseman like he was standing still...my buddy and I both took a big bong hit and thought..."holy fuck"...we were on to something good and it didnt cost $45 bucks for an 1/8th...
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I think I can finally put aside my feelings of indifference with Pavel and actually celebrate the brilliant player he was. Reflect on what he did for me as a young fan, and finally watch a representative of my team join the rest of the elite.

I fully, fully expect Gillis to do something very special for #10.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:
donlever wrote: Pavel was part of a great period of time in Canucks hockey.
I still remember Bures first game versus the Jets.
Something I will never ever forget. Not only was there an air of excitement that night, something we've never seen, there was this overwhelming feeling in the building, something indescribable..we all felt it..it was like a huge black cloud over the franchise had finally been lifted and a new era was upon us. We finally got a superstar..a real superstar, something we've never had and waited seemingly forever for.
I'll never forget that game and I wasn't even there (heard it on the radio).

Bure is a Canuck legend.

Hard to understand how/why Canucks management pissed all over him his whole time here. :crazy:

The elbow on Churla! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BladesofSteel wrote:I think I can finally put aside my feelings of indifference with Pavel and actually celebrate the brilliant player he was. Reflect on what he did for me as a young fan, and finally watch a representative of my team join the rest of the elite.

Indifference?? :eh:

And yeah, Gillis was his agent back in the day, so expect something special! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Bure was the best player ever to don a Canucks uni and frankly this is overdue. He was the most electrifying player in the NHL for years and even Gretzky stated that one of his biggest regrets was not being able to play with Pavel. There are rumors of the "almost" trade of 99 to the Canucks and I'm not sure how accurate they are, but if we had ever seen Gretz in a Canuck uni along side Pavel I'm sure there would have been ever more Bure moments to remember. His ability to get the puck skate to stick at full speed was unreal and it's a pity he left on uncertain terms. Sure Linden had more "heart", Smyl was feistier (maybe Churla would debate this), and Naslund was the best player on a the most talented Canuck team (to that time), but Bure trumped all of that with his package. One question remains - does a HHOF placement mean #10 goes to the rafters at Rogers arena?
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Bure memories.. April 9, 1998... Yep, I remember the date.... Calgary Saddledome. It was my first live NHL game, first time ever seeing the Canucks. Wow... A saskamammyrammer was in shock and awe! I went all out and got club seats on the Canucks shooting end.

Canucks won 6 to 3!

Bertuzzi, Naslund, Lumme, Messier, Mogilny and Ohlund...

Oh and Pavel Fucking Bure!

Pavel opened the scoring on a break away and I creamed my pants...

Messier and Mogilny scored also. Can't remember who else scored. I staggered out of the joint. Went to the bar wearing my Canucks Jersey. Went to the bathroom and when I got back to our table my buddy told me some guy we were playing pool against took one of my smokes. I walked up to him and plucked it out of his mouth. Told him to fuckin ask before he takes one of my cigarettes. He says well can I have one. I yelled in his NO! My girlfriend, who would end up my wife was all freaked out that I did that. She said people in Calgary are crazy and most of them carry knives! :lol:

Anyway… Pavel Bure, He was a beaut for sure! Well deserved IMO!

ETA, The Jersey I was wearing...

:drink:
Last edited by ODB on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Well deserved Pavel,easily the most exciting player of his era.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

A player of unmatched skill. Don't think we'll see another one like him ever.

I was so excited on hearing he was coming to the Canucks mid-season I made a bet with my gf at the time that he'd score in his first game. I was truly shocked when I lost.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Strangelove wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:I think I can finally put aside my feelings of indifference with Pavel and actually celebrate the brilliant player he was. Reflect on what he did for me as a young fan, and finally watch a representative of my team join the rest of the elite.

Indifference?? :eh:
I lacked thought and recognition towards all he accomplished as a Canuck, due mainly to his unceremonious exit. I never cheered for him after he left, and didn't feel bad for all his injury woes. While he was the most exciting player, I thought he lacked character, and I didn't feel much desire to root for him anymore. It was also a very dark time, during the '97Quinn-Keenan-Burke'00 era, and his exit only iced (<-see wot) off an incredibly tumultuous downfall.

I was indifferent towards retiring his number, because of his overall lack of recognition of the Canucks, but moreover the fans. I realize its not his job to make public appearances, or give out some props, but again... that character thing. I don't blame him solely, as I know there are other parties involved at fault.

But none of it matters anymore, its time to celebrate what was. And I know Gillis will do it right. :thumbs:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

If Bure isn't interested in participating what do you guys think are the odds that the Canucks will go ahead and honour him (be it ring of honour, jersey retirement, whatever) anyway?
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

dbr wrote:If Bure isn't interested in participating what do you guys think are the odds that the Canucks will go ahead and honour him (be it ring of honour, jersey retirement, whatever) anyway?
1,000,000,000,000 to 1

But he will show up.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BladesofSteel wrote: I lacked thought and recognition towards all he accomplished as a Canuck, due mainly to his unceremonious exit. I never cheered for him after he left, and didn't feel bad for all his injury woes. While he was the most exciting player, I thought he lacked character, and I didn't feel much desire to root for him anymore. It was also a very dark time, during the '97Quinn-Keenan-Burke'00 era, and his exit only iced (<-see wot) off an incredibly tumultuous downfall.

I was indifferent towards retiring his number, because of his overall lack of recognition of the Canucks, but moreover the fans. I realize its not his job to make public appearances, or give out some props, but again... that character thing. I don't blame him solely, as I know there are other parties involved at fault.
You have been misinformed my friend.

Pavel showed great character considering the way Canuck management totally shat upon him from the get-go!
http://www.puckwatch.com/2010/12/why-pa ... ouver.html

Coles notes:

1. Bure arrived in LA waiting to meet with the Canucks who left him sitting for weeks.

2. Bure was asked to pay $50,000 of his salary towards buying him out of his Russian contract

3. After winning the Calder Trophy as Rookie of the Year, the Canucks felt he needed to prove his value more before signing a new contract.

4. After agreeing to a contract of similar value to Sergei Fedorov and Alexander Mogilny, the Canucks pulled the rug out from under Bure by making the numbers in Canadian dollars instead of American dollars, a very uncommon practice.

5. Canucks refused to pay a signing bonus they owed him.

6. Broken promises about moving Pavel, and a handful of other instances destroying trust.

"But by far the most significant reason for wanting to leave came when, he said, somebody in Vancouver management made up a story that Bure threatened to withdraw his services during the '94 playoff run to the Cup final. While Bure would in no way even indicate whom he thought it might be, reason would indicate it was either then-acting assistant GM George McPhee or then-owner Arthur Griffiths. Quinn has indicated to some insiders he was led to believe Bure had threatened to withdraw his services by 'my guy' but now says privately and publicly it never happened."

“About two months later, when I was starting slowly, they (most likely McPhee) told me, `You were lucky to get 60 goals,' and that I would never do it again. They told me I'd be lucky to get 30 again. I told them, Forget about the contract, just trade me. You don't trust me, just trade me.”
Quinn has all but confirmed McPhee planted that character-assassinating LIE in the media.

And Bure was thoroughly roasted for it...

Yeah, Quinn threatens Cherry for running with it after his own man McPhee planted it. :evil:
____
Try to focus on someday.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Yup, the Canucks fucked Bure well before he wanted out.

A lot of what you heard about Bure were also smears. That's not to say Bure didn't have his flaws, but he wasn't the villain he was made out to be.

No more than Linden wasn't the messiah many think he was.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Be that as it may, these were my thoughts following his exit and subsequent years.

As a young adult (pre-mainstream internet), I payed no mind to behind the scenes gossip. I was merely a fan of the game, and the players who stood out in one way or another. As I grew older, I grew indifferent of the player, (while opting not to reflect on the era altogether).

At this stage, I couldn't care less. I'm just happy for the induction and league-wide recognition of how brilliant an entertainer he was up here in the PNW.