Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

CrzyCanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by CrzyCanuck »

this is so 2001 the game you guys are playing lol
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Canuck-One wrote:None of you guys play poker do you. I'd love to sit at a table with you guys.
7/2 off suit...

ALL IN!

:blush:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

ODB wrote:
Canuck-One wrote:None of you guys play poker do you. I'd love to sit at a table with you guys.
7/2 off suit...

ALL IN!

:blush:
I don't know who follows poker and knows the players but I once saw Tom Dwan play heads up for a mid 6 figure pot with 2 7 off, TELL THE GUY thats what he had and still take it down.

If I recall correctly the other guy had a straight on a board which was paired and had flush potential.
DeLevering since 1999.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Just to throw more gas on the fire of improbabilities .... the 4trh period noted
Panthers hot for Luongo
TheFourthPeriod.com

The Florida Panthers are serious about bringing back Roberto Luongo to South Florida, one league source told TFP on Sunday.
Speaking on the basis of anonymity, the source indicated that Luongo is now only willing to waive his no-movement clause to Florida, where he spends his off-seasons.

The Toronto Maple leaves are also among the teams extremely interested in acquiring Luongo, who has 10-years left on his contract, but unless the veteran netminder changes his mind in the near future, that doesn't appear to be a possibility.
It's believed the Vancouver Canucks are demanding a package that includes center Nick Bjugstad, something the Panthers are not willing to do.

Bjudstad, 19, was drafted 19th overall by the Panthers in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He registered 25 goals and 17 assists for 42 points in 40 games with Minnesota in the WCHA

The Canucks have been trying to trade Luongo for some time, but have been presented with several challenges, the most of which revolve around his no-movement clause. Without his consent, Luongo can veto any trade the Panthers agree to.

Luongo spent five seasons with the Panthers after being traded there by the New York Islanders.

cheers
mpp
CC Veteran

Post by mpp »

OK, so...

- Lebrun just said on TEAM 1040 that Panthers' owners okayed potential Luongo trade money-wise.
- Damien "I suck" Cox (low, I know, but had to...) implied that Canucks want a blue-chip prospect, a roster player and 1st rd pick and "obviously" (in his opinion) we are not getting that.

I can't find a sports person who I disrespect more than Cox, but let's use his basic idea: prospect, roster player, 1st round pick.

- Bjugstad, Upshall (salary dump), 1st 2013
- Bjugstad, Upshall, Petrovic

...would you do it?
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Depends if Florida is having trouble signing Versteeg. I'd do a Versteeg plus type of deal....
mpp
CC Veteran

Post by mpp »

tantalum wrote:Depends if Florida is having trouble signing Versteeg. I'd do a Versteeg plus type of deal....
Versteeg is nice, sure, but I bet they will want to shed salary and Upshall seems like the obvious choice. Perhaps we can get both + the youngsters...

Gillis seems to be thinking about the future too, which leads me to believing he will push hard for Bjugstad. Truth is, with Huberdeau in their ranks, Panthers can probably pull the trigger. I certainly hope so.

It would also be a double whammy. Primo, Panthers are, like, our own East Coast affiliation. I find it easy to cheer a bit for them in the playoffs - I did this spring. Secundo, oh, to be the wall on which Brian Burke will smash his head (along with an innocent fly) when he hears Luongo's a goner...
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

tantalum wrote:Depends if Florida is having trouble signing Versteeg. I'd do a Versteeg plus type of deal....
I like the idea of Versteeg. He's a classic #2 line winger. He doesn't do well in the #1 line spot, but give him 2nd pairing D and he can cause havoc, and he shows up in the playoffs. He's another party boy, but I really don't care about that as long as he takes care of biz on the ice.

In thinking more about it, the Florida destination just seems to fit too well for both parties. Tallon is smart enough to know that if you have a team that could be on the way to contending, you can't rely on a 22 year old goalie, however promising, who has played a grand total of 8 nhl games. Tallon could see a Luongo-Schneider scenario, 2.0. Luongo comes in, Markstrom backs up and learns from Rl over the next 3-4 years, the Panthers contend, and then in 3-4 yrs Luongo retires maybe, Markstrom takes over, or what have you.

I could see Tallon seeing more value in Luongo than Burke does. Burke just wants to make the playoffs, Tallon is more ambitious. Despite the Toronto media squawking, it's Van-Fla that is likely the best fit both ways...
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Versteeg, Bjugstad and a 1st?

With RL/Ray going the other way, Booth can then go to his natural LW side.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

SKYO wrote:Versteeg, Bjugstad and a 1st?

With RL/Ray going the other way, Booth can then go to his natural LW side.
Would love that deal but I don't see it happening. Lu has decent value but his contract brings it down. Versteeg is a guy I'd love to see on the 2nd line with Kes and Booth, he's another top 6 guy who can play all over the lineup.
mpp
CC Veteran

Post by mpp »

Boston Canucker wrote: In thinking more about it, the Florida destination just seems to fit too well for both parties. Tallon is smart enough to know that if you have a team that could be on the way to contending, you can't rely on a 22 year old goalie, however promising, who has played a grand total of 8 nhl games. Tallon could see a Luongo-Schneider scenario, 2.0. Luongo comes in, Markstrom backs up and learns from Rl over the next 3-4 years, the Panthers contend, and then in 3-4 yrs Luongo retires maybe, Markstrom takes over, or what have you.
I agree to some extent... FLA & VAN make good trading partners, not just because Tallon hearts Gillis and vice versa. The pieces fit.

Problem? I wrote about it before... Jacob Markstrom is already at a higher level than Cory Schneider was at 22. The 2.0 scenario is most likely 2 years away if you ask me. I agree that Luongo right now can't hurt them - it's just that I don't see them doing the right thing and playing Marky as RL's backup allowing him to play 20-25 games. He may simply play - i.e. lose - another year in the AHL. Markstrom is a great goaltender in the making - if they deliberately stall his development like that, things may turn nasty. I just don't know.

On the other hand, how do we feel with Schneider-Theodore tandem? Not saying this will happen, but Theo's 1.5M certainly feels OK here and maybe Tallon goes for the Roberto-Jacob duo after all. Assuming the deal gets done, obviously.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Hockey Widow wrote:That's unfair. Mrs Luongo returned to Florida for reasons that had nothing to do with the City of Vancouver. Luongo wanting to be moved, preferable to the East had everything to do with him wanting to be as close to his kids as possible. If he and the Mrs. have reconciled then I would assume she wants to stay close to her family.
Lucky he ain't a soccer players in EU, the Press would be all over it. The Press refer to them as the WAGS ( Wives and Girlfriends ) Stories in the press every day reporting their every move. :D The lady likes to be close to Mom amd Mom wants to be close to the grandchildren. Hey maybe Mom can cover the mortgage :D They own a pizza place before she met Luo she was serving Pizza job with a great future, fair certainly not. But we certainly appreciate all her efforts she's resolved a difficult situation and many would like to thank her :D
cheers
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Well, as far as I can see it, the Markstrom issue isn't a concern. He MIGHT be as good as Cory I believe is the operative word. Even though Cory has been highly touted, it really wasn't until last year, IMO, that he really came into his own and captured the imagination of some fans.

To me that scenario is like saying OMG we kept Lou but what about Lack? He's farther ahead of where Cory was at his age. Surely we will be in a goalie controversy again <insert date>

I simply don't think its an issue. They'll do whats best for the team and move along. At the end of the day Markstrom is still only a prospect.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

wafflecombine wrote:
To me that scenario is like saying OMG we kept Lou but what about Lack? He's farther ahead of where Cory was at his age. Surely we will be in a goalie controversy again <insert date>
Don't know the date, but it will certainly be the day Lack gets a shutout after a Schneider loss the previous game.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Fred wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:That's unfair. Mrs Luongo returned to Florida for reasons that had nothing to do with the City of Vancouver. Luongo wanting to be moved, preferable to the East had everything to do with him wanting to be as close to his kids as possible. If he and the Mrs. have reconciled then I would assume she wants to stay close to her family.
Lucky he ain't a soccer players in EU, the Press would be all over it. The Press refer to them as the WAGS ( Wives and Girlfriends ) Stories in the press every day reporting their every move. :D The lady likes to be close to Mom amd Mom wants to be close to the grandchildren. Hey maybe Mom can cover the mortgage :D They own a pizza place before she met Luo she was serving Pizza job with a great future, fair certainly not. But we certainly appreciate all her efforts she's resolved a difficult situation and many would like to thank her :D

You can be an $ss sometimes, smiles and all.

I hate that Gina gets the bum rap here. She left because of what her husband did not because of mom, or pizza, or sunshine. He is the one that created this situation for himself and his family. A saint he ain't.

Her reaction I think is pretty typical of a spouse that is in her situation. The fact that they are together in Florida is a good sign for both of them and their family. If thats what it takes for him to keep his family together then I say good for him. Sucks he wants to leave but good for him and good for us we have Cory.
The only HW the Canucks need