Canucks 2012 Draft picks

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Re: Canucks 2012 Draft picks

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Strangelove wrote:
What do Farhan, Skyo, and RD have in common?? :mrgreen:

ANSWER: They are all slowly mutating into Coiler fans.

These guys seem to forget that players tend to GET PAID after their entry-level contracts (especially if they're in EDM).

If all these young forwards turn out as good as projected: Cap Hell, gotta trade some.

And they aren't going anywhere with that defense & goaltending.....
I'm not ignoring the fact that these burgeoning superstars will get hefty contracts at some point. What I am saying however is that there will come a time where all/most of these guys blossom into superstar players while the team can afford them.

Case in point: Anaheim Ducks in 2007. Chicago Blackhawks from 2008-2010.

Inevitable cap trouble? Yes. High probability of them winning a cup before then? Yes.

The Oilers can easily trade 1-2 of their abundant promising talent up front for a blue chip goalie and/or defenseman to create a more well rounded core.

Doc - didn't you yourself say that as a Canucks fan, you'd rather see us win the Cup just once even if it meant us having a few mediocre seasons afterwards? I agreed with that sentiment by the way.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Hockey Widow wrote:
As for the Canucks, yes, our window with our current core is closing fast but with the right moves we can still be very competitive in the now. But I also want MG to have a vision to the future. When the twins are done and done we have to be in a position to replace their productivity.
Oh don't get me wrong. I feel the same way. However - I don't want it to be to a point where we're focusing TOO much on the future.......at the expense of our current window (i.e. Hodgson for Kassian type deals........although I do acknowledge that Gillis' hand was forced somewhat due to extenuating circumstances).

As far as having a blend for current/future goes, I'd love to see us take a run at Rick Nash or Bobby Ryan (as opposed to a guy like Jarome Iginla).

Columbus might be a bit delusional in terms of what they're expecting for Nash, but perhaps a guy like Ryan can be had for the right price? (a package involving Schneider).

Just for the record - packaging Schneider and Hodgson last year for Bobby Ryan was something that I was hoping would happen.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Farhan Lalji wrote:Case in point: Anaheim Ducks in 2007. Chicago Blackhawks from 2008-2010.
Neidermeier, Pronger, Seabrook, Kieth, Campbell, Giguire, Niemi
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Farhan Lalji wrote: I'm not ignoring the fact that these burgeoning superstars will get hefty contracts at some point. What I am saying however is that there will come a time where all/most of these guys blossom into superstar players while the team can afford them.
http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team= ... C300%2C000

Really??

When?
Farhan Lalji wrote: Inevitable cap trouble? Yes. High probability of them winning a cup before then? Yes.
RIDICULOUS!

I think we can agree they're doing nothing this coming season. Okay then, between now and next summer they've got to find three top-4 dee and a starting goaltender. And even if by some miracle they could accomplish that, they'd STILL have no depth. The Oil hafta overpay for their own RFAs because every player in his right mind wants outta town immediately. And of course they can't attract any quality UFAs for the same reason.
Farhan Lalji wrote: The Oilers can easily trade 1-2 of their abundant promising talent up front for a blue chip goalie and/or defenseman to create a more well rounded core.
Look at the capgeek link I gave you.

Now try to draw up some realistic scenarios where that happens and they're strong at every position.

Not gunna happen good buddy.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

"Farhan Lalji wrote:
The Oilers can easily trade 1-2 of their abundant promising talent up front for a blue chip goalie and/or defenseman to create a more well rounded core.
So, why haven't they done this yet? :look: In fact, they are squandering their assets right before our eyes! Case in point - Sam Gagner, who is now considered a 3rd c, possibly 2nd. A couple of years ago, his value was much higher...he could have been traded for a good D. Now, not so much. Another example - Omark. They will probably not even qualify him this summer. What a waste!

The point I am trying to make is that the Oiler brass doesn't have a clue how to build a good team. The only reason they are not given the same grade as Columbus is because of their three-in-a-row 1st overall draft picks! Perhaps one of their problems is a tendency to over-value their players. And. here, I don't fault Tambo so much as Lowe, who gave out those ridiculous contracts to guys like Horcoff! And they still haven't been able to trade Hemsky! :wow: Not every team who is "blessed" with a couple (or more!) of First picks in a row becomes a real contender! What is needed is a GM who knows his business!
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Topper wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:Case in point: Anaheim Ducks in 2007. Chicago Blackhawks from 2008-2010.
Neidermeier, Pronger, Seabrook, Kieth, Campbell, Giguire, Niemi
Edmonton has enough top end forward prospects to swing a deal for a defenseman and/or goalie.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Strangelove wrote: Look at the capgeek link I gave you.

Now try to draw up some realistic scenarios where that happens and they're strong at every position.

Not gunna happen good buddy.
Good link.

Fair enough.

You've convinced me. :)

Will be interesting to see if they deal for a defenseman and/or goalie though. Time will tell.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Orcasfan wrote:
"Farhan Lalji wrote:
So, why haven't they done this yet? :look: In fact, they are squandering their assets right before our eyes! Case in point - Sam Gagner, who is now considered a 3rd c, possibly 2nd. A couple of years ago, his value was much higher...he could have been traded for a good D. Now, not so much. Another example - Omark. They will probably not even qualify him this summer. What a waste!

The point I am trying to make is that the Oiler brass doesn't have a clue how to build a good team. The only reason they are not given the same grade as Columbus is because of their three-in-a-row 1st overall draft picks! Perhaps one of their problems is a tendency to over-value their players. And. here, I don't fault Tambo so much as Lowe, who gave out those ridiculous contracts to guys like Horcoff! And they still haven't been able to trade Hemsky! :wow: Not every team who is "blessed" with a couple (or more!) of First picks in a row becomes a real contender! What is needed is a GM who knows his business!
All good points my man. I figured that if they are going to do something in terms of trade/balancing act, this would be the year. But again - time will tell.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

If they don't...will the superstars make it without serious injury due to overuse?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….