Canucks 2012 Draft picks

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Re: Canucks 2012 Draft picks

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Actually, the guy to have in that draft went #5... Jammy Jagr. It is well documented that Burkie fought tooth and nail to get Jagr, but Fat Quinn went with the safe pick in Petr Nedsky. I think even Nedved himself admited that Jagr was a better player than him. Imagine a 94 team with Bure and Jagr skating down the right side. :|

Mëds wrote:Sigh.

Imagine this team in 94 with both Linden AND Primeau......
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

THe issue for me at this draft is that we only drafted 5 guys. !st, 2nd, 5th, 6th and 7th. I'd like to see us in the long run trading more of our aging/marginal guys for picks, as we need more talent in the minors, and we can't expect to keep finding guys like Burrows every 5 or 6 years.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Intriguing thing watching the draft. When GMMG was walking to the podium, he stopped and had a brief word with Quenneville, who had a good laugh at whatever was said, and then gave Stevie Y's shoulder a squeeze and said something as he passed Tampa's table. Originally I thought it may be one last roll of the die for Bobby Lou.

My guess, he made a quip about his guy still being available despite his attempts to move up. He may have made comment to Joel regarding the old Whaler family gathering for when Ulf's kid would be drafted.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Intriguing thing watching the draft. When GMMG was walking to the podium, he stopped and had a brief word with Quenneville, who had a good laugh at whatever was said, and then gave Stevie Y's shoulder a squeeze and said something as he passed Tampa's table. Originally I thought it may be one last roll of the die for Bobby Lou.

My guess, he made a quip about his guy still being available despite his attempts to move up. He may have made comment to Joel regarding the old Whaler family gathering for when Ulf's kid would be drafted.
Wasn't that was John Davidson (rather than Quenneville)?

Nice to see he's on good terms with some of his counterparts.

Twas also nice to see him rip Duthie a new one, lol never seen him so pissy.

"You think I'm gonna tell YOU??!!"
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:
Topper wrote: Intriguing thing watching the draft. When GMMG was walking to the podium, he stopped and had a brief word with Quenneville, who had a good laugh at whatever was said, and then gave Stevie Y's shoulder a squeeze and said something as he passed Tampa's table. Originally I thought it may be one last roll of the die for Bobby Lou.

Wasn't that was John Davidson (rather than Quenneville)?

Nice to see he's on good terms with some of his counterparts.
MG probably said nevermind on the 2nd/3rd (2013) for the 1st pick, as Gaunce was still available! woot.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

With Edmonton's selection of Nail Yakupov, I can't help but wonder if the Oilers will win a cup before the Canucks. :(

Hall, Eberle, and Yakupov is some scary top end talent. Once these guys mature and/or the Oil get a decent goalie or defensemen, these guys will be scary.

Mike Gillis may not believe in "the window", but I think it's very real.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well, of course there is such a thing as window of opportunity. Just ask Chicago. So the point being that MG needs to make hockey deals, trades or signings, that make sense now and in the future. Teams that blow the wad on a win today mentality have a much shorter window and they may or may not be successful.

Look at LA. They made some major moves but all of them bode well for the future too.

As for Edmonton, ya they have some pretty amazing pieces up front but they still lack a good defence or a top number 1 in net. As well all those young guns will become RFA year after year after year, back to back to back. So if they don't work on the defence, goaltending, grit and a mix of veterans they will go no where fast.

As for the Canucks, yes, our window with our current core is closing fast but with the right moves we can still be very competitive in the now. But I also want MG to have a vision to the future. When the twins are done and done we have to be in a position to replace their productivity.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: As for Edmonton, ya they have some pretty amazing pieces up front but they still lack a good defence or a top number 1 in net. As well all those young guns will become RFA year after year after year, back to back to back. So if they don't work on the defence, goaltending, grit and a mix of veterans they will go no where fast.
What do Farhan, Skyo, and RD have in common?? :mrgreen:

ANSWER: They are all slowly mutating into Coiler fans.

These guys seem to forget that players tend to GET PAID after their entry-level contracts (especially if they're in EDM).

If all these young forwards turn out as good as projected: Cap Hell, gotta trade some.

And they aren't going anywhere with that defense & goaltending.....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Add to that that RNH has already had a serious shoulder injury and HAll a concussion. Time will tell how durable they are and how well they all mix. Of all of them Ederle is the one I cream my jeans for.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

[quote="Hockey Widow"]Add to that that RNH has already had a serious shoulder injury and HAll a concussion. Time will tell how durable they are and how well they all mix. Of all of them Ederle is the one I cream my jeans for.[/quote]

ya hear that SL? don't hear her say too often, I hate the oilers and the next CBA should include a clause where
a team can never get 3 1st overall draft picks in a row.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Add to that that RNH has already had a serious shoulder injury and HAll a concussion. Time will tell how durable they are and how well they all mix. Of all of them Ederle is the one I cream my jeans for.[/quote]

ya hear that SL? don't hear her say too often, I hate the oilers and the next CBA should include a clause where

Ya and if they do then the 1st automatically falls to Vancouver!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: ya hear that SL? don't hear her say too often, I hate the oilers and the next CBA should include a clause where
I dunno budz, I could see you working things out with the ex, settling in Edmonchuk, both of you in Coiler jerseys. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:
I dunno budz, I could see you working things out with the ex, settling in Edmonchuk, both of you in Coiler jerseys. :mex:
lol nay never, but your kidding yourself if you think the Coilers are going nowhere, they have the offense, and the Bulin' wall, all they need is some defense.

Whats their record vs the Canucks btw?
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

Hockey Widow wrote:Well, of course there is such a thing as window of opportunity. Just ask Chicago. So the point being that MG needs to make hockey deals, trades or signings, that make sense now and in the future. Teams that blow the wad on a win today mentality have a much shorter window and they may or may not be successful.

Look at LA. They made some major moves but all of them bode well for the future too.

As for Edmonton, ya they have some pretty amazing pieces up front but they still lack a good defence or a top number 1 in net. As well all those young guns will become RFA year after year after year, back to back to back. So if they don't work on the defence, goaltending, grit and a mix of veterans they will go no where fast.

As for the Canucks, yes, our window with our current core is closing fast but with the right moves we can still be very competitive in the now. But I also want MG to have a vision to the future. When the twins are done and done we have to be in a position to replace their productivity.
How long is it going to take for Edmonton to actually build a truly competitive team? Personally, I have absolutely no faith in Tambo having the smarts to be able to do that before those young guns become too pricey! There has been no evidence so far to suggest that he has learned how to multi-task! :look: You know, draft young stars and, at the same time, trade for some proven NHLers to fill those gaping holes in the D! I think that Tambellini is gone this year, maybe by Xmas if the team is languishing. And with 'Bulin's injury history and age, his shelf time is coming due, and then, who? :cry:

I would much rather be in the Canucks shoes for the foreseeable future, thank you!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: What do Farhan, Skyo, and RD have in common?? :mrgreen:

ANSWER: They are all slowly mutating into Coiler filled diapers

And they aren't going anywhere with that defense & goaltending.....
I've never seen such a bunch of chicken littles. The sky is falling..... the sky is falling.

Unfuckingreal how the diaper gang thinks that the Oilers are all of a sudden going to become a power in the NHL despite the fact they have a worse defence than the Kamloops Blazers and their goaltending unit is one of the league's worst.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”