Draft 2012

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Re: Draft 2012

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Of course the experiences of Patrick White and Nathan Smith continue to haunt many of us Canucks fans, but, that was THEN.

MG clearly stated that he wanted the team to be bigger, faster, and can play solid on both ends of ice when he took over this team; so far his moves (although some questionable ones too, but which GM doesn't make mistakes?) and drafting choices all seem like we're going into the aforementioned direction.

Hodgson better worry about his place in Buffalo first before talking shit to Guance. I mean, Buffalo didn't just draft two centers because they're bored right?

It was a solid pick at our position.

Sheesh, it just seems like some people think we should have steals or draft franchise players at every single draft.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

CrzyCanuck wrote:Sheesh, it just seems like some people think we should have steals or draft franchise players at every single draft.
It's the price we pay for not sucking every year... oh well. ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

My draft weekend thoughts:
-a little disappointed Gillis didn't acquire another pick or two
-like the clubs MO this wknd for drafting older, experienced players
-love that Gillis opted for bigger players
-intrigued by what Mallet could bring, as he could be a sleeper to make the team this fall given the work ethic and energy he brings... Burrows 2.0?
-while I like the Mallet choice, am quite disappointed the club didn't even blink at Vancouver Giant Jordan Martinook. Listed at 6'1 208, the Leduc Alb native notched 40 goals and 80 PIMs in his 2nd Dub season. Wasn't even interviewed by the Canuck brass. Will be very disheartened if he turns into a player and Mallet stumbles. He was taken one pick after Mallet by the 'Yotes.
-Am very excited to see what Brendan Gaunce can bring. Could be another sleeper to play 9 games this year should he have a strong camp.

-Ben Hutten received some huge props from his former Junior A coach:
“He’s the best defenseman in our league, by far. He’s like a man among boys out there,” said Pat Malloy to the Bangor Daily News. “He oozes with pro potential. His skill level is so high. He’s big and his puck skills and hands are off the charts. He’s a one-man forecheck breaker, he has a good shot and he’s an above-average skater. He plays 35 minutes a game and plays important minutes against the other team’s top line. He’s a straight arrow from a good family who will do anything to win and will do anything for the team. He’s a dream to coach.”

-Lastly, am I the only one that sees the team looking to bring in some youth and energy this October? With what is a predominantly a veteran laden club, I can see Gillis leaving a spot or two open at each position to allow one of the young kids to step in. Kassian, Schroeder and Tanev are obvious picks. But if Gaunce and Mallet's physical testing at camp rate at the top of the competition, then their enthusiasm and strong two-way play might just earn them an extended look.

Bring on free agency!!!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I agree BoS. I think especially with the Kesler rehab there will be an opportunity for a few players to have an extended look. New blood and energy is what the team needs IMHO. I also like that they went for older players who may be able to make the transition to the NHL faster, one can hope.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

BladesofSteel wrote: October
Love your optimism.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Sure there will be an opportunity but will AV play along? I want to see more youth and who cares if they make a mistake or 2, unless the wheels fall off the bus the Nucks will make the playoffs.

BUT - like usualy come July MG will sign some guy who once score 20+ goals and he is expected to regain his form here and youth will be forgotten again. I am hopping they learn from past mistakes and someone like Kassian gets 12 - 15 minutes a night (of course they have to earn it).
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

fuckin' eh! a line of Kassian,Jensen and Gauche should be given a good look at...a kid line...other teams have done it...i dont really trust our management to do the right thing anymore so its just a pipe dream...as said by the previous poster...we will sign some over the hill goatfucker to TRY and regain his past form...fuck...
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

the Dogsalmon wrote:fuckin' eh! a line of Kassian,Jensen and Gauche should be given a good look at...a kid line...other teams have done it...i dont really trust our management to do the right thing anymore so its just a pipe dream...as said by the previous poster...we will sign some over the hill goatfucker to TRY and regain his past form...fuck...
Kid lines work really well, just ask Edmonton - they've been trying it for years and have had great team success right?

There's no way those kids are ready for those roles yet, I expect Kassian on the team next year but would be very surprised if the other two are. There just aren't spots available for them and they aren't needed yet.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Diehard1 wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:fuckin' eh! a line of Kassian,Jensen and Gauche should be given a good look at...a kid line...other teams have done it...i dont really trust our management to do the right thing anymore so its just a pipe dream...as said by the previous poster...we will sign some over the hill goatfucker to TRY and regain his past form...fuck...
Kid lines work really well, just ask Edmonton - they've been trying it for years and have had great team success right?

There's no way those kids are ready for those roles yet, I expect Kassian on the team next year but would be very surprised if the other two are. There just aren't spots available for them and they aren't needed yet.

we are not the Oilers...they have sucked for the better part of a decade on all fronts...they have all kid lines...we only want one...have you noticed that the old,past best before date veteran lineup we have has not worked out so well...you need a line of young guys that play cheaply but accomplish more than the overpaid past their best days hacks that we keep picking up...doing the same thing over and over does not always work...our bottom 6 are pure shit...
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

the Dogsalmon wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:

we are not the Oilers...they have sucked for the better part of a decade on all fronts...they have all kid lines...we only want one...have you noticed that the old,past best before date veteran lineup we have has not worked out so well...you need a line of young guys that play cheaply but accomplish more than the overpaid past their best days hacks that we keep picking up...doing the same thing over and over does not always work...our bottom 6 are pure shit...
Tell me, what is wrong with fans like you? Yes, the team went out first round last year but they've been a contender for the last 4 or 5 seasons year in and year out. Just so damn negative all the time - guess the glass is always half empty.

I don't think you're getting the point - who do you move to make this kid line? If it's the 3rd line then do they matchup against the other team's top line? That's traditionally what a 3rd line does and these guys would get eaten alive in that role. They aren't good enough to be second liners and there's no way they displace Kesler. That leaves the 4th line - is 5 to 7 minutes a game good for the development of these kids? Ideally you want them to develop into top 2 line guys in the future and that doesn't happen playing limited minutes on the 4th line.

If one or two of these kids are ready they will make the team and play with a veteran or two who can help cover their mistakes. That's a good way to develop players.

I'm still at a loss on this kid line idea - perhaps you can give me examples of where it has worked well? Not saying it can't work, but it's highly, highly unlikely.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Lancer wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:
Lancer wrote: Patrick White v2.0... Nathan Smith 3.0... :( :(

How about Ryan Kesler 2.0.

Wasn't he a limited 3rd line checking center as well.

The reality is that the guys who progress and develop end up being great picks, the guys who stagnate end up being a waste of time.

Defining a pick based on the "type" of player they might be is a huge waste of time.
BIG difference: Kesler can skate. Every article I've seen on Gaunce says skating is an issue. This is 2012, not 2002, so if he can't skate what use is he?
Gaunce is a big teenager and his physical development will be slower as he continues to grow. To bring up White is just way too premature and it is part of what is wrong with many fans in Van. Someone posted about waiting 40 plus years and I am like that but I sure have had some good times being a fan. The semi-finals against the Hawks with Savard, getting to the FInals versus the Isles, Pavel who brought me to my feet more than any other player, the best Finals in ages in 94, and the last decade of winning mostly. Only one can win the Cup. I do not like to lose but am unwilling to quit watching over the Cup. We will get it eventually and what a rush that will be!
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

You sound very negative about goats.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

damonberryman wrote: Gaunce is a big teenager and his physical development will be slower as he continues to grow. To bring up White is just way too premature and it is part of what is wrong with many fans in Van. Someone posted about waiting 40 plus years and I am like that but I sure have had some good times being a fan. The semi-finals against the Hawks with Savard, getting to the FInals versus the Isles, Pavel who brought me to my feet more than any other player, the best Finals in ages in 94, and the last decade of winning mostly. Only one can win the Cup. I do not like to lose but am unwilling to quit watching over the Cup. We will get it eventually and what a rush that will be!
Good post damonberryman,

To a large extent, I feel the same way. The city of Vancouver may be cup starved, but there are certainly tons of positive memories and achievements that us Canuck fans can reflect on.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Just for the record, I think Gillis did extremely well at this draft, and I think that both Gaunce and Mallete will be strong players for us in the not-so-distant future. Gaunce seems like one of those 'character' guys with a decent skillset and hockey sense. I've heard that his skating isn't all that great, but neither were the twins'. Mallete is a reasonably skilled guy and knows how to throw em'. The guy also hits. I like this kid.

Looks like Gillis has really made a priority to get bigger and badder with his draft picks over the past 2 seasons. He has my support.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Farhan Lalji wrote:Just for the record, I think Gillis did extremely well at this draft, and I think that both Gaunce and Mallete will be strong players for us in the not-so-distant future. Gaunce seems like one of those 'character' guys with a decent skillset and hockey sense. I've heard that his skating isn't all that great, but neither were the twins'. Mallete is a reasonably skilled guy and knows how to throw em'. The guy also hits. I like this kid.

Looks like Gillis has really made a priority to get bigger and badder with his draft picks over the past 2 seasons. He has my support.
Maybe Mallet can do all of the above ....but there's a big difference doing that in a league filled with 16 year olds and a league filled with 20-30 year olds. That has to be one of the reason most teams don't take older picks, tough to judge them
cheers