Draft 2012

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Draft 2012

Post by tantalum »

People also have to remember that many of these first round guys in any other draft year would be second rounders. It wasn't a deep draft.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Topper wrote:All picks are on the plus side of 6' and all but on are on the plus side of 200lbs. Both good signs.
Something I was watching as well.

Along with:

Jensen 6'2" 200+
Blomstrand 6' 1" 200
Grenier 6'4" 200
Labate 6'5" 200

Its clear where we are going with our picks. No more Schroeders.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

As I saw posted somewhere else.

Jensen-Gaunce-Kassian could form a line one day.

Blob, looked through Mallet's portfolio on HockeyFights.com. Not a lot of power punches, definite willingness to go with anyone, stand up for his team and himself. Great footwork and speed punching inside in close.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

CFP! wrote:
Topper wrote:All picks are on the plus side of 6' and all but on are on the plus side of 200lbs. Both good signs.
Something I was watching as well.

Along with:

Jensen 6'2" 200+
Blomstrand 6' 1" 200
Grenier 6'4" 200
Labate 6'5" 200

Its clear where we are going with our picks. No more Schroeders.
The nice thing is with guys like Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce, Kesler, Booth, etc on the roster you can draft, sign or trade for smaller skilled guys in the future and it won't hurt you - I'm talking about in the future of course. A guy like Derek Roy doesn't work that well on a small Buffalo team but he would be just fine on the Canucks. I can't remember the last it e the Nucks had a big, physical team throughout the lineup - maybe the Sandlak, Antoski, Momesso days?

Gillis is definitely drafting size and strength, we'll see how his strategy works in a few years.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Topper wrote:As I saw posted somewhere else.

Blob, looked through Mallet's portfolio on HockeyFights.com. Not a lot of power punches, definite willingness to go with anyone, stand up for his team and himself. Great footwork and speed punching inside in close.
Don't forget a guy like Labate as well, he had a very solid freshman season in the NCAA this year. He's also 6'4" and will probably be 220 when he fills out, he says he's around 200 now.

Gillis is going to have to start drafting dmen in the near future though, he's picking a ton of forwards lately.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I say we start the season with them on the second line. Put Booth with the twins. Give then at least the magical 10 games to see if they can do anything. But then ask me after training camp.

Until Kesler is back we can experiment a lot. I'm just saying that if the President's Trophy isn't the goal we have some time in the first month to try and work in some new young blood into the line up.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote:I don't really understand how people can be down on a kid who most of the scouting services should have been gone in the top20.

And for the record all of this "3rd liner", safe pick nonsense is the same garbage people were saying when we picked Kesler.

How'ed that work out?
I ain't down on the kid, but you know me, I'm jaded, too many Patrick Whites, Jason Herters, Brad Ference's, Nathan Smiths, Libor Polasek's, Mike Wilsons, Alex Stojanov's. I like to slag someone before I accept them into the Canuck brood, but I will never accept the likes of Booth. That is a whole other story.

The more I read up on Gaunce, the more I like. I just like the simple fact that his compete level goes up the more important the game is or intense it is. Apparently he elevates his game, that's a good sign. He's got good size, like the potential of seeing Jensen, Kassian and Gaunce in the line-up together at the same time, gives us some real good size up front. Apparently he is captain material. So what's not to like.

Big fan of our 2nd pick Mallete too. Kid can throw em. A smart fighter. How tall is Mallete? And weight? Anyone? If Gillis can parlay one of our goalies into a good young player then I am once again liking the outlook of our team. However Gillis really needs to keep re-stocking the shelves on our prospect depth. Even he is now talking about how the Sedin window is closing cause of their age. I can only see two years of dominance from the Sedins. They will still be good serviceable players at 34 but not dominant Top 10 NHL forward material like they are now, sort of like becoming our 2nd line when they are at around that age. Hopefully when their game starts to slip Kassian, Jensen and Gaunce are making an impact.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:

I say we start the season with them on the second line. Put Booth with the twins. Give then at least the magical 10 games to see if they can do anything. But then ask me after training camp.

Until Kesler is back we can experiment a lot. I'm just saying that if the President's Trophy isn't the goal we have some time in the first month to try and work in some new young blood into the line up.
Sorry HW, I respect your hockey opinions, but Booth simply does not have mental make-up to play the cerebral game the Sedins play. Playing a smart Sedin like game would put too much stress on Booth's peanut-sized brain.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Same thing I thought, now it is up to the players/coaches to give them a chance to learn the game and get some real NHL time playing without the constant worrying about being benched because they make a mistake.

I hold out hopes for these players, no one under 6' and looks like they have some punch to their game.

Also with the "new" "new" NHL (going back to the dead puck era) do we really need super skaters? Bettman's new keep everyone in the playoffs until the final week is slowing the game down.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Reefer2 wrote:
Same thing I thought, now it is up to the players/coaches to give them a chance to learn the game and get some real NHL time playing without the constant worrying about being benched because they make a mistake.

I hold out hopes for these players, no one under 6' and looks like they have some punch to their game.

Also with the "new" "new" NHL (going back to the dead puck era) do we really need super skaters? Bettman's new keep everyone in the playoffs until the final week is slowing the game down.
That only works if you are one of Buttman's favs. Last I checked, the Canucks don't play on the eastern seaboard nor in the sunbelt, so chances are the Canucks will still have to skate their arses off through the cltuching and sticking while the refs check with NY to see when they can call something.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Couldn't help noticing that Carolina in the fourth round, 99th overall, picked Erik Karlsson.

I hope they're aware that this is not the same guy that's playing in Ottawa and just won the Norris award... :?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

That is a line with some scary size. Even if they formed a 3rd or 4th line. However, IF they reach their projected potential then that would be a dominant 2nd line on any team.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Mëds wrote:

That is a line with some scary size. Even if they formed a 3rd or 4th line. However, IF they reach their projected potential then that would be a dominant 2nd line on any team.
It sure would be nice to have a 'kid line', one that makes a real difference, they come cheap and tend to provide a lot of energy to the team. I like the idea.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

i am okay with this draft...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ClamRussel wrote: Exactly. A solid pick at 26. A decent prospect, not at all a "project." A small step towards restocking the cupboard. They got who they wanted. Lets see how he develops in junior, hopefully plays in the WJC.
:thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.