Draft 2012

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Draft 2012

Postby SKYO » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:38 pm

Couple quality dmen:

Matthew Finn - 6'0 192lbs

Matthew is not going to show up in highlight videos on any type of a regular basis. It's not in his game to be flashy but it is his game to be incredibly effective. That effectiveness translates into every area of the game and all of its situations. Simply put, he is a player who completes plays. He does it with the puck. Defensively in getting the puck out of danger. Offensively in reading the play and getting the puck to areas where his team can attack. He is superb in transition and can do it skating with the puck or passing the puck. He does it without the puck. He has very good body positioning and stick position where he can keep opponents at bay. His skating is strong in all regards and he asserts with his body & with excellent lower body strength and balance, he's a hard player to gain an advantage on. He has excellent sense and understands what is unfolding and what the appropriate response should be. He has great poise playing and the challenges of the game do not faze him in any way. He is a player who makes teams stronger.

Michael Matheson
6'1 178lbs

Michael's game is predicated on outstanding skating ability. There is not an area of skating in which he doesn't excel, and he's able to contribute in so many different ways because of it. He's very difficult to pin down in his own end because of his quickness and agility which allows him to escape the best checking efforts. He is able to buy precious time and space when he's in offensive situations and with good puck skills, specifically passing ability he can create offensive chances. He has good poise and because he has such strong confidence in his skating, it allows him to take an extra second to potentially look for and make a better play. He plays without the puck in a very responsible manner and as he continues to develop this area of the game, he has the potential to be a very well balanced player who can play in all situations and create a lot of challenges for opposing teams.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3195
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Draft 2012

Postby Scintillator » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:39 pm

Topper wrote:
tantalum wrote:Two promising centers for the Sabres.

LOL

I was waiting for McGuire to repeat his comment.

I gotta ask, have Sabres seen enough of Coho?

LOL


Was it "Where do we find a team with nothing but short stubby centres that would view Cody as an upgrade" ?
Scintillator
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:12 am

Re: Draft 2012

Postby BladesofSteel » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:46 pm

Subban still available too.
The grass is always greener
BladesofSteel
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Lower left-hand corner

Re: Draft 2012

Postby Scintillator » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:52 pm

Looking like we'll end up one of: Gaunce, Matteau or Pearson
Scintillator
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:12 am

Re: Draft 2012

Postby SKYO » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:54 pm

damn, Scott Laughton, Tomas Hertl and Jankowski all selected already! :s

Olli Maatta still available! good dman falling far.
*edit nope just selected finally by Pits.
Last edited by SKYO on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3195
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Draft 2012

Postby SKYO » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:55 pm

Scintillator wrote:Looking like we'll end up one of: Gaunce, Matteau or Pearson

Yeah Gaunce or Matteau would be nice.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3195
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Draft 2012

Postby Lancer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:56 pm

Scintillator wrote:Looking like we'll end up one of: Gaunce, Matteau or Pearson


I'd still take somebody like Samuelsson. Matteau may be worth picking, but the other two give me nothing to get excited about.

SKYO wrote:damn, Scott Laughton, Tomas Hertl and Jankowski all selected already! :s

Olli Maatta still available! good dman falling far.


He's a penguin now.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1350
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Draft 2012

Postby BladesofSteel » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:59 pm

Lancer wrote:
Scintillator wrote:Looking like we'll end up one of: Gaunce, Matteau or Pearson


I'd still take somebody like Samuelsson. Matteau may be worth picking, but the other two give me nothing to get excited about.

Yup!!!
The grass is always greener
BladesofSteel
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Lower left-hand corner

Re: Draft 2012

Postby SKYO » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:11 pm

Lancer wrote:
Scintillator wrote:Looking like we'll end up one of: Gaunce, Matteau or Pearson


I'd still take somebody like Samuelsson. Matteau may be worth picking, but the other two give me nothing to get excited about.


I'd be ecstatic if we got one of Finn or Guance, one more pick before us! :wow:

Sammy would be cool, but I'd prefer a center or a dman.

Boston trolling Mtl with M Subban. haha
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3195
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Draft 2012

Postby tantalum » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:13 pm

Boston picks the black guy....Thomas quitting/waiving NTC makes much more sense now.
User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: Draft 2012

Postby Lancer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:31 pm

(sad trombone) Fuck me.

Give me a fucking break. Brendan Fucking Gaunce? 3rd line centre? Try scraping and scratching to cling to a 4th line role. Cement blocks for feet. Scored 50 some-odd goals in midget, but 28 in OHL? Gimme a break. This guy will be lucky to get a career high of 10 in the NHL. Fucking write-off here. Hope you enjoy a career in Germany with Patrick White, Mr. Gaunce. Don't get fat on the schnitzel.

Why not make a bit of a swing for the fences, Gillis?

Patrick White v2.0... Nathan Smith 3.0... :( :(
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1350
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Draft 2012

Postby Lancer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:34 pm

...and Samuelsson just got picked by Phoenix. Just fucking great...
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1350
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Draft 2012

Postby Fred » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:35 pm

Brendan Gaunce is a naturally talented athlete. The 17-year-old from Markham, Ontario is currently leading the Belleville Bulls in scoring with 44 points in 43 games, though he proclaims to have been an all-sport athlete in school, playing rugby, football, and even running track.

He’s certainly not hesitant to take up a challenge. Looking at the 6’2, 212lb power forward, no one would guess he also tried his hand at acting, performing in a school production of the popular musical Hairspray, just a year before his OHL draft year.

He doesn’t like to dwell too much upon his short-lived acting career.

"I tried my hand in acting but [it] didn’t work out too well so I stuck with sports," laughs the second-year Bull.

Luckily for Gaunce, it appears he has a future in hockey. He was recently ranked as the 11th best North-American skater by Central Scouting as well as the seventh best skater by International Scouting Services, and it should be no surprise given his background.

His older brother, Cameron, is a defenseman in the Colorado Avalanche organization; but not only that, Cameron played minor hockey for the Markham Waxers, where his teammates included Steven Stamkos (TB), Cody Hodgson (VAN), and Michael Del Zotto (NYR). The younger Gaunce is quick to acknowledge how much he learned from watching his older brother and his talented teammates. However, it wasn’t their skill that he admired most.

"They showed that hockey didn’t come easy and all the opportunities they got didn’t come easy," he says. "And hockey’s just like life: it’s not [that] just because you’re good you’re going to get something – you have to work for it."

Currently leading the offensive charge behind a turnaround in Belleville (they won just 21 games last year as opposed to 22 so far this season), Gaunce is a multidimensional talent who has been developing into a premier power forward. He can score just as easy as he can set up goals, and his physical play has been becoming more and more noticeable as he gets older and stronger.

He isn’t completely rising through this year’s draft ranks out of nowhere, however; in fact, he was selected by second overall by Belleville in the 2010 OHL Priority Selection, and considering he was playing on a rebuilding team, had quite a successful rookie season, registering 36 points in 65 games.

Cool and collected, he doesn’t recall feeling much pressure to prove himself worthy of the second overall selection in his rookie year.

"I chose hockey as my career and I came into last year knowing that it was my job, and with every job comes responsibility, and I think I just came into last year knowing that I had the skill and the size to play in the league," he says.

"I was happy with how I played last year and how I’ve transitioned into this year."

His transition into the 2011-12 season involved a lengthy, but exciting summer. He took part in the NHL Research and Development Camp for the top 2012 draft-eligible prospects in August, but the highlight of his summer came just a couple weeks earlier when he led team Canada to a gold medal at the under-18 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament in the Czech Republic. He had a goal and an assist in the gold-medal game against Sweden, and already, the level-headed Gaunce is putting the tournament into perspective.

"I don’t think during the tournament I noticed how lucky I was just because I was used to playing with those guys in summer tournaments, but when you look back on it, it definitely was an experience I’ll never forget."

The biggest thing he has taken away from the experience is the attitude and work ethic that it requires to represent his country. Gaunce, clearly, is a young man that knows nothing will be handed to him.

"Line one to line four worked and competed every practice and game, and to be on those teams you have to work your hardest all the time and I think that’s what separates the guys that make those teams from the guys that don’t," he says, agreeing that the experience will certainly help his bid to represent team Canada at the World Juniors within the next two years.

In fact, when asked what he has improved upon most over the past year, Gaunce is quick to mention his work ethic. He also notes that his shot has improved quite a bit, as has his play in the defensive zone, evidenced by a drastic turnaround in plus/minus rating this season; through 43 games, he is a plus-five, whereas last year he finished a miunus-31, though, to be fair, the Bulls were much weaker defensively as a whole last season.

There’s also been another change in his game: he’s been fighting. He is realizing he is one of the bigger players on the ice, and while he knows it isn’t his job to do the on-ice policing, he is more than willing to drop the gloves to stand up for a teammate.

"I don’t see myself as a fighter but you need to stick up for your teammates. Each time [I fought] was for a reason," says Gaunce, who has accumulated three fighting majors this season.

It is plain to see that Gaunce is becoming closer and closer to a complete player by the day, and it’s something that he prides himself on. It’s also the reason why he is likely to be a first-round selection this June. And though he grew up a Leaf fan and admits that playing for the Leafs – or any team near Ontario – would be a dream come true, he has no set goals for the upcoming draft.

"Whatever happens happens," he says. "If I go in the first round or the second round it doesn’t matter as long as I work hard this summer. I’ll still have the same opportunity the next year going into [camp]."

Given his combination of talent and work ethic, Gaunce is likely to be one of the top forwards in the OHL over the next year or two, and in all likelihood, will experience pro hockey, but the Markham native isn’t looking too far ahead, nor is he worrying too much about draft rankings and speculation.

"I don’t think you can’t not notice [the draft talk] just because there’s so much stuff on it, so much press on it, but hockey’s just a game, and if it works out for me, it works out for me," he says.

"I have to take this year in stride because it might be one of the better years of my life."
cheers
Fred
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Draft 2012

Postby Diehard1 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:38 pm

My favourite thing about the draft is when posters who haven't even seen a kid play write him off as a bust. This kid was the consensus best player available so it seems most scouts think they did well.

From what I read, and like everyone else here I haven't seen him play, he's a big, physical center who is well over 200 pounds at age 18. He needs to work on his skating which is quite normal for a young kid.

To me, he's a solid pick at the end of the first round. I have no idea what he will become and neither does anybody else here, but he's a big, Canadian kid at a position of need. Seems like he could be a good pick, we'll see in 4 or 5 years.
Diehard1
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 560
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 am

Re: Draft 2012

Postby Lancer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:48 pm

Fred wrote:Brendan Gaunce is a naturally talented athlete. The 17-year-old from Markham, Ontario is currently leading the Belleville Bulls in scoring with 44 points in 43 games, though he proclaims to have been an all-sport athlete in school, playing rugby, football, and even running track.

He’s certainly not hesitant to take up a challenge. Looking at the 6’2, 212lb power forward, no one would guess he also tried his hand at acting, performing in a school production of the popular musical Hairspray, just a year before his OHL draft year.

He doesn’t like to dwell too much upon his short-lived acting career.

"I tried my hand in acting but [it] didn’t work out too well so I stuck with sports," laughs the second-year Bull.

Luckily for Gaunce, it appears he has a future in hockey. He was recently ranked as the 11th best North-American skater by Central Scouting as well as the seventh best skater by International Scouting Services, and it should be no surprise given his background.

His older brother, Cameron, is a defenseman in the Colorado Avalanche organization; but not only that, Cameron played minor hockey for the Markham Waxers, where his teammates included Steven Stamkos (TB), Cody Hodgson (VAN), and Michael Del Zotto (NYR). The younger Gaunce is quick to acknowledge how much he learned from watching his older brother and his talented teammates. However, it wasn’t their skill that he admired most.

"They showed that hockey didn’t come easy and all the opportunities they got didn’t come easy," he says. "And hockey’s just like life: it’s not [that] just because you’re good you’re going to get something – you have to work for it."

Currently leading the offensive charge behind a turnaround in Belleville (they won just 21 games last year as opposed to 22 so far this season), Gaunce is a multidimensional talent who has been developing into a premier power forward. He can score just as easy as he can set up goals, and his physical play has been becoming more and more noticeable as he gets older and stronger.

He isn’t completely rising through this year’s draft ranks out of nowhere, however; in fact, he was selected by second overall by Belleville in the 2010 OHL Priority Selection, and considering he was playing on a rebuilding team, had quite a successful rookie season, registering 36 points in 65 games.

Cool and collected, he doesn’t recall feeling much pressure to prove himself worthy of the second overall selection in his rookie year.

"I chose hockey as my career and I came into last year knowing that it was my job, and with every job comes responsibility, and I think I just came into last year knowing that I had the skill and the size to play in the league," he says.

"I was happy with how I played last year and how I’ve transitioned into this year."

His transition into the 2011-12 season involved a lengthy, but exciting summer. He took part in the NHL Research and Development Camp for the top 2012 draft-eligible prospects in August, but the highlight of his summer came just a couple weeks earlier when he led team Canada to a gold medal at the under-18 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament in the Czech Republic. He had a goal and an assist in the gold-medal game against Sweden, and already, the level-headed Gaunce is putting the tournament into perspective.

"I don’t think during the tournament I noticed how lucky I was just because I was used to playing with those guys in summer tournaments, but when you look back on it, it definitely was an experience I’ll never forget."

The biggest thing he has taken away from the experience is the attitude and work ethic that it requires to represent his country. Gaunce, clearly, is a young man that knows nothing will be handed to him.

"Line one to line four worked and competed every practice and game, and to be on those teams you have to work your hardest all the time and I think that’s what separates the guys that make those teams from the guys that don’t," he says, agreeing that the experience will certainly help his bid to represent team Canada at the World Juniors within the next two years.

In fact, when asked what he has improved upon most over the past year, Gaunce is quick to mention his work ethic. He also notes that his shot has improved quite a bit, as has his play in the defensive zone, evidenced by a drastic turnaround in plus/minus rating this season; through 43 games, he is a plus-five, whereas last year he finished a miunus-31, though, to be fair, the Bulls were much weaker defensively as a whole last season.

There’s also been another change in his game: he’s been fighting. He is realizing he is one of the bigger players on the ice, and while he knows it isn’t his job to do the on-ice policing, he is more than willing to drop the gloves to stand up for a teammate.

"I don’t see myself as a fighter but you need to stick up for your teammates. Each time [I fought] was for a reason," says Gaunce, who has accumulated three fighting majors this season.

It is plain to see that Gaunce is becoming closer and closer to a complete player by the day, and it’s something that he prides himself on. It’s also the reason why he is likely to be a first-round selection this June. And though he grew up a Leaf fan and admits that playing for the Leafs – or any team near Ontario – would be a dream come true, he has no set goals for the upcoming draft.

"Whatever happens happens," he says. "If I go in the first round or the second round it doesn’t matter as long as I work hard this summer. I’ll still have the same opportunity the next year going into [camp]."

Given his combination of talent and work ethic, Gaunce is likely to be one of the top forwards in the OHL over the next year or two, and in all likelihood, will experience pro hockey, but the Markham native isn’t looking too far ahead, nor is he worrying too much about draft rankings and speculation.

"I don’t think you can’t not notice [the draft talk] just because there’s so much stuff on it, so much press on it, but hockey’s just a game, and if it works out for me, it works out for me," he says.

"I have to take this year in stride because it might be one of the better years of my life."


Wonder how much he will love being a Canuck after chatting with the likes of Gary Roberts and guys he looked up to in the Waxers like... Cody Hodgson over a kale and chia seed smoothie? Gratefully, I don't see word of any pushy parents (yet) so there may be hope.

Diehard1 wrote:From what I read, and like everyone else here I haven't seen him play, he's a big, physical center who is well over 200 pounds at age 18. He needs to work on his skating which is quite normal for a young kid.


I'm sure they said the same thing about Shawn Antoski. Skating is the HUGE red flag here. Hodgson had skating issues and how well did he look in the NHL after working on his skating in the Vancouver system? A centre who can't skate? Ask Jason Allison how well that works in today's NHL.

Hey, Gaunce may one day be able to keep up in the NHL before he's 30. Christ turned water into wine as well.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1350
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], JelloPuddingPop, rats19 and 2 guests