Home Construction Discussion

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Home Construction Discussion

Post by ODB »

It's not like I'm talking about killing a few baby panda's. They're fucking trees... There's lots off them. Everywhere you look... trees!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Aaronp18 wrote:Pfft, her problem was that she admitted that she did it!

Plus it was Stanley Park for crissakes! Of course she was going to get a hefty fine.

Some random neighborhood in Saskatoon would bring what, $100 fine and a public caning!
haha

Hope we find out who dumped those

in the Burnaby ponds, should be public caning like Sask.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

ODB wrote:It's not like I'm talking about killing a few baby panda's. They're fucking trees... There's lots off them. Everywhere you look... trees!
Can't see anything because of them...lol
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

I hump trees... 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Spent a mint on electricians. They finished the job today by taking out old panel and moving my meter outside and upgrading service to 220. Well hydro inspector passes everything and calls back for reconnection at 3 pm. 4.5 hours later no Hydro!!!! Called, freaked out, and was told they are running with a skeleton crew!

Ugh- electrician stayed for 3 hours waiting on my dime!!! Holy shit, holy shit!!!!

No private company would suck this bad.
Fuck you MB Hydro!!!
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Vpete wrote:Spent a mint on electricians. They finished the job today by taking out old panel and moving my meter outside and upgrading service to 220. Well hydro inspector passes everything and calls back for reconnection at 3 pm. 4.5 hours later no Hydro!!!! Called, freaked out, and was told they are running with a skeleton crew!

Ugh- electrician stayed for 3 hours waiting on my dime!!! Holy shit, holy shit!!!!

No private company would suck this bad.
Fuck you MB Hydro!!!
How much was the service upgrade? We left ours at 100 amps and are going with a Gas stove and Gas Dryer to pull off the basement suite conversion. We almost maxed out on our gas. We are installing a gas insert from Regency into the basement suites old chimney firebox. Bucked up a bit more in appliances but had to. It's close. We will eventually upgrade our service to 200 amps but reno budget is already through the roof. I now have to fur out 2x4 exterior walls with 2x2 (1 1/2) to get the r-value. You can see why people do illegal basement suites, it's a fucking hassle and expensive but in the end, it's an added value to the house and selling point if we ever sell again. Upstairs and downstairs suites will be on their own water supply, electrical, heating and their is the proper fire rating/sound proofing between each suite. Fire rated doors are fucking expensive. Have to buy 3. Anyhow,everything done to code, so we are pleased about gong this route.

To help warm up the basement which is above ground, slab on grade I'm gonna dig down 18-24 inches around the exterior of the foundation depending the depth and hilti rigid insulation and cover that with a pressure treated material (apparently you can't use hardi-panel) and then flash under stucco and over insulation and PT material to create a thermal break for the basement slab. This was the suggestion of the inspector, apparently it makes a big difference.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

RoyalDude wrote: To help warm up the basement which is above ground, slab on grade I'm gonna dig down 18-24 inches around the exterior of the foundation depending the depth and hilti rigid insulation and cover that with a pressure treated material (apparently you can't use hardi-panel) and then flash under stucco and over insulation and PT material to create a thermal break for the basement slab. This was the suggestion of the inspector, apparently it makes a big difference.
Not sure I follow.

You are going to insulate the foundation which is below grade, hence below the basement slab? Or there is earth material built up around the exterior of the foundation, above grade?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

nm
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

nm
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
How much was the service upgrade? We left ours at 100 amps and are going with a Gas stove and Gas Dryer to pull off the basement suite conversion. We almost maxed out on our gas. We are installing a gas insert from Regency into the basement suites old chimney firebox. Bucked up a bit more in appliances but had to. It's close. We will eventually upgrade our service to 200 amps but reno budget is already through the roof. I now have to fur out 2x4 exterior walls with 2x2 (1 1/2) to get the r-value. You can see why people do illegal basement suites, it's a fucking hassle and expensive but in the end, it's an added value to the house and selling point if we ever sell again. Upstairs and downstairs suites will be on their own water supply, electrical, heating and their is the proper fire rating/sound proofing between each suite. Fire rated doors are fucking expensive. Have to buy 3. Anyhow,everything done to code, so we are pleased about gong this route.

To help warm up the basement which is above ground, slab on grade I'm gonna dig down 18-24 inches around the exterior of the foundation depending the depth and hilti rigid insulation and cover that with a pressure treated material (apparently you can't use hardi-panel) and then flash under stucco and over insulation and PT material to create a thermal break for the basement slab. This was the suggestion of the inspector, apparently it makes a big difference.
LOL so you cheaped out on the power....what happens when you have the dryer warming up all your aerobic gear , the computer on and a tv show on ? Does Granny's suite come equipped with a b/w set with rabbit ears ??

Warm up that basement ? You're going to rot the walls if your ventilation isn't up to snuff. I can see old Granny sweating like a cub scout at the Neverland Ranch during the first hot snap we get .
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BladesofSteel wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: To help warm up the basement which is above ground, slab on grade I'm gonna dig down 18-24 inches around the exterior of the foundation depending the depth and hilti rigid insulation and cover that with a pressure treated material (apparently you can't use hardi-panel) and then flash under stucco and over insulation and PT material to create a thermal break for the basement slab. This was the suggestion of the inspector, apparently it makes a big difference.
Not sure I follow.

You are going to insulate the foundation which is below grade, hence below the basement slab? Or there is earth material built up around the exterior of the foundation, above grade?
Hmmm... our house is ground level entry slab on grade. The top of Slab is about 4 inches higher than grade, we live on a level lot. Bottom of stucco is about 2 inches above grade. Flashing would tuck up under stucco and cover top of 1 1/2 thick rigid insulation and the Pressure Treated lumber that will be hiding the rigid insulation from view. The Rigid isulation is attached to the foundation wall with and bolt washer, the rigid insulation would then go under grade to the frost line of 18 inches below grade, therefore creating a thermal break for the concrete slab. This would also create a continuous insulation of the building envlope from basement exterior walls to below grade to the 18 inch frost line. Does that help? It was the Building Inspectors theory. I've asked around and apparently it works for our type of houses, where the concrete slab is cold. Our slab is cold.

When we build new houses that don't have radiant floor heating in the basement, just forced air or electric baseboard heaters, we thermal break the basement slab where it's just above grade, ie stepping out on to a basement patio, by laying down flat rigid insulation 2 inches thick, 2 feet wide tight to exterior curb wall above footing on inside of house before we pour slab, it's code in most municipalities, it's the same sort of theory as to what we are going to do to our house. If the basement slab is well below grade, below the frost line, you only have to thermal break the slab with a strip of donna conna or pressure treated 2x4. The closer the slab is to grade or above the frost line the colder the slab will be. It's usually moisture problems with basements that are well below grade not cold.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

LOL so you cheaped out on the power....what happens when you have the dryer warming up all your aerobic gear , the computer on and a tv show on ? Does Granny's suite come equipped with a b/w set with rabbit ears ??

Warm up that basement ? You're going to rot the walls if your ventilation isn't up to snuff. I can see old Granny sweating like a cub scout at the Neverland Ranch during the first hot snap we get .
I see it's Thirsty Thursdays over at the Blobcat residence tonight. Didn't have the $5,000 grand to upgrade the service Blob, sorry, I guess I just don't have your kind of money. We got enough power, trust me. No grow ups here like in your mancave. AND WTF DO YOU KNOW ABOUT VENTILATION YA MEATHEAD
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Dog days are killing us..we need a trade..sheesh.where's the love fellas...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

So fuck, the first real headache hit.

AFter back filling in all the floor with concrete there is a small leak in my water line that comes into my house. Problem is it's the old lead line and virtually no way to fix it and more than likely trying to fix it will only make the problem worse! So I have to have a new line directionally bored to my house from the city's point on the boulevard. Holy $$$$$$$

At least I'm getting rid of the lead right?

Anyhow, a friend who is a structural engineer sent me this and I though of Donny.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/1202019 ... te-trouble
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

That makes sense Dude, I just needed to draw it out. Seems like a lot of work for just a little bit of heat retention, but if you're staying there for the long run...

I'd consider Nuheat for the bathroom (and kitchen if you're suiting it out) down there too. Reasonably priced to buy, super easy to install and not hard on the electric bill should you opt with the programmable thermostat.

Pressure treated wood (or PWF) is the only material outside of concrete that you can legally bury around your foundation.