2012 NHL Awards

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

2012 NHL Awards

Post by SKYO »

Can't believe Karlsson won it already! zero defense - pure offense, ah well the good thing is Weber's contract demands won't be that much more with no trophy. ;)

Nominee's
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=62242
Scott Burnside ‏@ESPN_Burnside

Karlsson edged Weber by a 1,069 to 1,057 vote count the second straight year Weber has lost by the slimmest of margins.
@halfordpht: For you Canucks fans out there, Dan Hamhuis finished 10th in Norris voting with 21 points, 19 back of 9th place Kris Letang.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Per
MVP
MVP

Re: 2012 NHL Awards

Post by Per »

Surprisingly good year for Swedish players :look: :

Henrik Lundqvist - Vezina (only the second Swedish player to win this award)
Erik Karlsson - Norris (only the second Swedish player to win this award, albeit Lidström won it seven times...)
Gabriel Landeskog - Calder (only the third Swedish player to win this award)
Daniel Alfredsson - King Clancy (first Swedish player to win this award)

:wow:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Swedes turn! must do ya country proud per!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Karlsson and Malkin winning those awards are embarrassing.

Malkin is a big player who is a pussy and throws cheap hits. Can't stand the guy.

Karlsson is not a Norris winner. He put up points, but he can't shut anyone down.....yet.

No offence Per, but Karlsson didn't deserve that.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

I tuned in last night but fell asleep sometime after the midway mark.

I didn't mind the show, it seems like they get a little better at it every year. Will Arnett started funny with the whole water bottle thing but then it got just silly later on.

Like the All Star game, I tune in every year and every year I am left wanting more. Miyagi-san say 6.5/10.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote:Karlsson is not a Norris winner.

The Proffessional Hockey Writers Association begs to disagree. :wink:
Mëds wrote:He put up points, but he can't shut anyone down.....yet.

No offence Per, but Karlsson didn't deserve that.
I hear what you're saying. But every year there are a few of these awards that are questionable. I'm still pissed Zetterberg did not get Calder! :evil:

As for Karlsson, sure, his defense still leaves something to be wished for, but he scored 25 points more than the second best D-man... That's quite a feat, and I guess that's what made them pick him despite not being quite a complete D-man. I mean, he was so superior in that respect that it outweighed his defensive flaws. And seriously, he's become a lot better at playing D compared to last year. Considering that he is just a 22-yo kid (Lidström won his first Norris at 30) I expect to see him bring home a few more of these.
Last edited by Per on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Good points on Karlsson.

Question I have though is about Weber. What is it about him where its a near miss on this award. Granted I'm spinning out a bit of conspiracy but do you think his turnbuckle move vs. Detroit this year cost him the Norris nod?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

No. Voting on regular season awards is done by the start of the playoffs.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

The Norris has never really been solely about defense. There have been many winners that were pretty poor at the shut-down role, e.g. Paul Coffey (3 time winner). I remember lamenting at the time that if the award was really for defense, it should have gone to Ray Bourque.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Boy, what a difference a year makes, last year we had so many guys nomiated and winnning trophies like D.Sedin, Kes, GM Gillis, AV, Lou/Schneids, Malhotra. This year we got nobody and nothing. :(
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

^^^^^^^^

Ray Bourque won 5 Norris trophies.

Anyone who thinks Karlsson is the shits defensively doesn't watch many Ottawa games. He is no stud in his own end but he is no slouch either. He is a very smart player who has a good stick and his defensive coverage has improved leaps and bounds from his rookie season. Karlsson was very deserving of the Norris.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:^^^^^^^^

Anyone who thinks Karlsson is the shits defensively doesn't watch many Ottawa games. He is no stud in his own end but he is no slouch either. He is a very smart player who has a good stick and his defensive coverage has improved leaps and bounds from his rookie season. Karlsson was very deserving of the Norris.
+1

Mëds is off them again...
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Boy, what a difference a year makes, last year we had so many guys nomiated and winnning trophies like D.Sedin, Kes, GM Gillis, AV, Lou/Schneids, Malhotra. This year we got nobody and nothing. :(
we won the presidents aka Buttmen BrAss :cry:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...as far as I am concerned we can go until the end of time without the Canucks winning another award unless it looks like this.

DeLevering since 1999.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:^^^^^^^^

I still think that Weber brings more to the table all around then Karlsson does at this time.

It's just a tragedy that the sports writers focus primarily on offense, it's like they don't quite get all the aspects of the game.....imagine that eh.

Even the Vezina, Lundqvist deserves a Vezina, no question, but I look at this season and I see Quick with better numbers in more games played, and then factor in that the Kings couldn't score their way out of a paper bag until the playoffs started (29th in the league in GF with a differential of +15), and then look and see that the Rangers were 11th with a differential of +39, and I gotta say, Quick made a bigger difference for his team. I suppose he'll have to be content with the Conn Smythe.