OK, So What I have heard this May 2012

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Dr. Tobias Funke
AHL Prospect

Re: OK, So What I have heard this May 2012

Post by Dr. Tobias Funke »

Hockey Widow wrote:Given that MG wants to get young I can't see him parting with all those picks for one year of Weber. It would be bold but also stupid. Maybe the bold move is in trading for him.
What if the bold move is giving Weber a 1 year offer sheet at $6m or less (maxing compensation at a 1st/2nd/3rd), with a spoken agreement to extend at X dollars over Y years immediately afterwards (or as soon as possible - I'm not sure what the protocol is on extending 1 year contracts). This would put Nashville in an incredibly tough situation, as if they match, they would not be able to trade him until he becomes UFA and they would get one year of him, then lose him for nothing.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I don't understand your position tobias.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Dr. Tobias Funke wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Given that MG wants to get young I can't see him parting with all those picks for one year of Weber. It would be bold but also stupid. Maybe the bold move is in trading for him.
What if the bold move is giving Weber a 1 year offer sheet at $6m or less (maxing compensation at a 1st/2nd/3rd), with a spoken agreement to extend at X dollars over Y years immediately afterwards (or as soon as possible - I'm not sure what the protocol is on extending 1 year contracts). This would put Nashville in an incredibly tough situation, as if they match, they would not be able to trade him until he becomes UFA and they would get one year of him, then lose him for nothing.

Does he not have to be qualified at his same salary by Nashville or they lose him? No way he signs for less than that unless it is a long term deal and then he risks Nashville matching and he will be stuck there is he does not want to be there. I can't see him signing an offer sheet for more than one year at 7+. Only way I see him taking a longer term is if it is with the Preds. He simply has to accept his qualify offer.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The whole Weber saga here is a pipe dream if ya ask me. It will never happen.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

RoyalDude wrote:The whole Weber saga here is a pipe dream if ya ask me. It will never happen.
Much like Luongo to Vancouver.

Never gonna happen.

Different scenarios, but anything could happen.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:The whole Weber saga here is a pipe dream if ya ask me. It will never happen.
I like your reverse psychology.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

All right boy and girls, every year we get sucked into this vortex of what ifs (I guess we get bored in the summer). Because I am such a nice guy I thought I would save all of you the rest of the summer and I will let you know what will happen to the team over the next 12 months.

Present time to start of training camp:

• Luongo will be traded for some so-so prospects/draft picks.
• Canucks will draft BPA and it will be a small player who will probably never play for the team other than a career 3rd or 4th liner
• MG will sign some players who are either a) a reclamation project and they will never amount to anything b) a 3rd or 4th line skater, all flash and no finish. (RD will have 25 threads about the player(s)and why they are overpaid)
• Chances of Canucks signing a big name is less than 25%, not saying it will not happen but chances are slim to none.

Training camp:

• Nothing special will happen
• No player surprising anyone and staying with the big team for more than 10 games
• Only question is who will centre the 2nd line with Kesler hurt. (RD will have 10 threads about this topic)

Regular season:

• AV of 2012/2013 season is the same as last season
• Top D pairing playing too much
• Ballard will be in the dog house within 10 – 15 games (RD will have 10 threads about him)
• PP will be up but down in the last 25% of the season because it cannot change from what it always does
• Canucks take the division again, probably wrapped up by the All Star game
• Kesler is rushed back and does not get the points per game expected of him

Playoffs

• Team goes out in round 2 – 3 and injuries and fatigue is the issue. (Reefer comments that injuries is always the excuse)
• Fans scream for MG and AV heads

1 year from now:

Start at the top and go down, exchange names where applicable ;)
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

So I spent part of the weekend talking to a guy within the Canucks organization. Name withheld for obvious reasons but his position is in the 'financial' end of things.

So he tells the group (a few guys having drinks) how aggressive the Canucks were on Parise and with Suter and then Weber. No numbers but that they had BIG plans. Said there is far too much 'speculation' on relations with player/team/trades and that every player has had clear and honest discussions with the GM about direction of the team and goals.

The team is not disappointed with the results of their efforts but said many other teams are with the off-season attempts at landing marquee players. As a guy who is relatively new to working in sports he also said the Canucks are a DREAM organization to work for in comparison to his other experiences.

Thought it would be worth noting here.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

*Haha* It's so true, Great post. Guess I don't have to bother watching hockey this season. :lol:

Reefer2 wrote:All right boy and girls, every year we get sucked into this vortex of what ifs (I guess we get bored in the summer). Because I am such a nice guy I thought I would save all of you the rest of the summer and I will let you know what will happen to the team over the next 12 months.

Present time to start of training camp:

• Luongo will be traded for some so-so prospects/draft picks.
• Canucks will draft BPA and it will be a small player who will probably never play for the team other than a career 3rd or 4th liner
• MG will sign some players who are either a) a reclamation project and they will never amount to anything b) a 3rd or 4th line skater, all flash and no finish. (RD will have 25 threads about the player(s)and why they are overpaid)
• Chances of Canucks signing a big name is less than 25%, not saying it will not happen but chances are slim to none.

Training camp:

• Nothing special will happen
• No player surprising anyone and staying with the big team for more than 10 games
• Only question is who will centre the 2nd line with Kesler hurt. (RD will have 10 threads about this topic)

Regular season:

• AV of 2012/2013 season is the same as last season
• Top D pairing playing too much
• Ballard will be in the dog house within 10 – 15 games (RD will have 10 threads about him)
• PP will be up but down in the last 25% of the season because it cannot change from what it always does
• Canucks take the division again, probably wrapped up by the All Star game
• Kesler is rushed back and does not get the points per game expected of him

Playoffs

• Team goes out in round 2 – 3 and injuries and fatigue is the issue. (Reefer comments that injuries is always the excuse)
• Fans scream for MG and AV heads

1 year from now:

Start at the top and go down, exchange names where applicable ;)