IF the Canucks are DESTINED to take on a BAD contract.......

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Re: Joe Thornton or Jarome Iginla

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Mëds wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote: A 3 headed demon of Hank-Thornton-Kess at center would be deadly.
Indeed. And utilizing him in the 2nd line role where defense is pretty much secondary, because you rarely see the other team's top line and they rarely burn their best checking line on you, is perfect for Jumbo because if there has ever been a component of his game that seemed to be lacking, it was in his own end.

I don't think teams would have a clue what to do against a Canucks team that put those 3 guys down the middle and added wingers like Higgins, Dank, Bur, Booth, Hansen, and Raymond.....yes even I will say that a guy like Thornton would really make Raymond a $2.5M steal.
Thornton's the type of guy that could make TDA Rum's comments come true. :P (i.e. Raymond notching 50+ points for us in a season).

The other interesting thing - is that if the Canucks were to hypothetically acquire Joe Thornton............and face the Boston Bruins again in a cup final, we'd have a guy that would probably want to "stick it" to Boston just as much as we do. ;)

Having said that - assuming that San Jose would want to go into rebuild mode, what could we possibly offer the Sharks to entice them?

I'm guessing that it would involve atleast Schneider, Tanev, and Schroeder........minimum.

Speaking of Schneider - it's what I really like about the idea of *possibly* using Schneider as trade bait. Although Schneider is going to be an amazing goalie (if he isn't already), it's a guy like Schneider that could definitively land us that "big fish." The Rick Nash's, Shea Weber's, and Joe Thornton's of this world. Maybe Luongo can do that as well, but I'm just not sure.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Farhan Lalji wrote: Speaking of Schneider - it's what I really like about the idea of *possibly* using Schneider as trade bait. Although Schneider is going to be an amazing goalie (if he isn't already), it's a guy like Schneider that could definitively land us that "big fish." The Rick Nash's, Shea Weber's, and Joe Thornton's of this world. Maybe Luongo can do that as well, but I'm just not sure.
When compared to other goaltenders who are around Lou's age and considered to be "elite", Lou's contract isn't all that bad. I've said all along I only have two issues with Lou, his propensity for letting in the soft one that deflates the team, and his consistency in pressure situations. I mean sometimes he plays AMAZING, see games 1, 2, and 5 of the SCF, then others he is just shit, see games 3, 4, 6, and 7, of the SCF. So based on that I see an all-star goaltender who is 33 years old, needs a fresh start, and is playing in front of a guy who looks to be the next real deal in net and is only 26 years old.

So you look back at the history of so many trades in the NHL that have seen a faltering player get a look and a chance with a different team and turn it around.....well I think that Lou does bring that return. I think Columbus would give us Rick Nash in exchange for Luongo and something to the tune of Raymond and Ballard or a couple 2nd rounders. I think that when another GM looks at a cap hit of $5.5M, considers that a fresh start could see Lou playing among the top 5 goalies in the league again, and then looks at the contracts that Rinne and Lundqvist have with their respective teams, Lou comes off looking pretty shiny. Now that all changes if you are a GM who has a Cory Schneider sitting on your bench for 45+ games this past year.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Mëds wrote: He is a whiner, and he plays cheap hockey at times. His antics with the Sedins over the last few seasons, and a few of his late game hits have been questionable. Hence the "hate".
Uhhh, I get why people don't like Thornton, my post was in reference to him being over paid. He's not over paid, he's a fantastic player who's easily been the Sharks best playoff performer the past several season.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Potatoe1 wrote: Uhhh, I get why people don't like Thornton, my post was in reference to him being over paid. He's not over paid, he's a fantastic player who's easily been the Sharks best playoff performer the past several season.
I totally agree, I don't see why Thornton and Iginla are being discussed in a bad contract thread. If either of those guys were ever available, the offers would be massive and I have a hard time imagining MG making a competitive offer that would gut the team and the farm.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

ESQ wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: Uhhh, I get why people don't like Thornton, my post was in reference to him being over paid. He's not over paid, he's a fantastic player who's easily been the Sharks best playoff performer the past several season.
I totally agree, I don't see why Thornton and Iginla are being discussed in a bad contract thread. If either of those guys were ever available, the offers would be massive and I have a hard time imagining MG making a competitive offer that would gut the team and the farm.
I only said 'bad contract' because both guys are over 30 and/or are relatively expensive.

On a personal level, I am a big fan of both players...........and even if they don't have TONS of time left, will be still be tremendous additions in my opinion.

According to 960 'The Fan', Calgary might be at the point where they are finally ready to move Iginla. They haven't up until now because Iginla has been the "face" of the franchise and creates brand recognition for the team.......but they might be going in a different direction now.

The greater reality is that IF Iginla gets moved, it will be to Pitsburgh where he can play with Crosby.

Kipper and Iggy to Pitsburgh for MAF, Kris Letang, and ???
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
ESQ wrote:
I only said 'bad contract' because both guys are over 30 and/or are relatively expensive.

On a personal level, I am a big fan of both players...........and even if they don't have TONS of time left, will be still be tremendous additions in my opinion.

According to 960 'The Fan', Calgary might be at the point where they are finally ready to move Iginla. They haven't up until now because Iginla has been the "face" of the franchise and creates brand recognition for the team.......but they might be going in a different direction now.

The greater reality is that IF Iginla gets moved, it will be to Pitsburgh where he can play with Crosby.

Kipper and Iggy to Pitsburgh for MAF, Kris Letang, and ???
Who cares what the Flames do. We should be focusing on how to get more B.C. born hockey players on the Vancouver Canucks.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Who cares what the Flames do. We should be focusing on how to get more B.C. born hockey players on the Vancouver Canucks.
Love the new tangent. Couldnt agree more.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Who cares what the Flames do. We should be focusing on how to get more B.C. born hockey players on the Vancouver Canucks.
Agreed - draft one of Thrower, Reilly, Sissons, etc (yes I realize Reilly won't be around at 26), sign Garrison, Jackman and/or Schultz - guys who were born in BC and want to be Canucks. They will play harder for the team they grew up watching.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: IF the Canucks are DESTINED to take on a BAD contract...

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

I'll admit I'm a sucker for local guys. The more the merrier.

Having said that, I'm not sure if geography trumps drafting the best player available or drafting for positional needs. If either of those criteria are met and the guy happens to be local than thats just a bonus... but I'm not sure how far you want to go off the board just because a kid grew up watching your team.
2011..... the one that got away.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Diehard1 wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Agreed - draft one of Thrower, Reilly, Sissons, etc (yes I realize Reilly won't be around at 26), sign Garrison, Jackman and/or Schultz - guys who were born in BC and want to be Canucks. They will play harder for the team they grew up watching.

Weber has already mentioned he's was never a Canuck fan.... His buddy Cody Franson grew up a leaves fan. Because the're loca does not mean they like the team.
cheers
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Diehard1 wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
That's a load of crap. At this level they will play hardest for the team that is located where they want to play, and they also play to win for themselves too. The only draw for a guy like Weber, who is not a Canucks fan, to come play in BC, is that his family is in BC and with the money he will make he can easily afford to score them some season tickets and get them to big alot more easily than if he's playing in Nashville.

At the pro level I think it's a bit of a realized dream to suit up for your favorite childhood team, but you won't play any harder for them than you would for another team that is committed both to the players and to winning.