Alex Edler's next contract

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Alex Edler's next contract

Post by Meds »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Mëds wrote:
He probably will get $5M.....but it's an over payment.

You're dreaming,,,

Edler is going to get PAID, and people are going to swallow hard when they see the number and term.

And it doesn't matter if he had a bad series against LA, contracts are not built around 5 games, they are built around a players Career, and Edlers to date has been excellent.

Start at 6 over 5 and move up based on what the new CBA looks like.
I'm not basing it just on 5 games. I've watched him since he showed up on in Vancouver. Sure he has upside, and he has had some amazing games, was great for 3 series last year in the playoffs. But he also makes more than his share of mistakes, and when he has an off game, it's BAD. I just think people are a little too high on the guy right now and talking about giving him $5.5+M right now is ludicrous. If he plays next season like he did this season, I think he's worth Bieksa and Hamhuis money.

I didn't realize he was only 26. Thought he was 28.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ODB wrote:
Mëds wrote:
Take a look at the guys who were directly responsible for 3 game losing goals in the playoffs.....

Mëds, I think I preferred you banned!

:thumbs:
Good for you.
dbr wrote: He will absolutely get $5m, and it's not an overpayment - like Mike Gillis said you pay for points in this league and Edler is the most gifted offensiver producer on the Canucks blueline at a significantly younger age than guys like Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis.
But he also makes mistakes that result in more goals against and scoring chances against.....well not when compared to Bieksa I suppose. :look:
dbr wrote: Anyway if he signs for four or more years I expect he'll get a number that he'll have to grow into (unless he does that this offseason), which I'm sure will make him a popular scapegoat for a couple of years.
I sure hope not. That's exactly what I'm worried about. I look at his stats since 2007-08 and I see improvement, but I also see fluctuation, but for me it isn't the stats that concern me so much with defensemen, other than plus/minus, it is, rather, the consistency I see on the ice. And I've just seen so many ups and downs with this guy that I don't want to see us pay him for what he might become unless that "might" is paid out via bonuses or something. Gillis paid Lou for what he was, committed long-term, and even there we ended up watching a guy go up and down and not perform to expectations. At least when Lou got his deal he had performed at an elite level for multiple seasons. If Edler suddenly turns into a steady blueliner then I'm fine with a cap hit of $5+M. But right now, I don't see it.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Mëds wrote:
ODB wrote:
Mëds wrote:
Take a look at the guys who were directly responsible for 3 game losing goals in the playoffs.....

Mëds, I think I preferred you banned!

Good for you.
Actually, I take that back! When you're around I'm no longer considered the stupidest poster at CC.

BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

ODB wrote: Actually, I take that back! When you're around I'm no longer considered the stupidest poster at CC.

Just for the record - I don't think ODB is the stupidest poster at CC. Far from it.

He may not have the book smarts, but he's an evil political/social genius. :devil:
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Mëds wrote: him $5.5+M right now is ludicrous.
I'm not talking about 5.5, I think he will get 6+ if the cap continues to rise.

Edlers comparables are not Hamhuis and Bieksa, they are other high end offensive guys like Campbell, Boyle and Timonen.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Potatoe1 wrote:

Edlers comparables are not Hamhuis and Bieksa, they are other high end offensive guys like Campbell, Boyle and Timonen.
The difference being that those guys can actually handle the puck at the blueline when under pressure, and they can quarterback a powerplay. Edler can't.....yet.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Mëds wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:

The difference being that those guys can actually handle the puck at the blueline when under pressure, and they can quarterback a powerplay. Edler can't.....yet.
Edler is also 6'3, 26 years old, and has a higher ppg average over the past 2 years.

Who do you think is the more desirable asset ?

You are absolutely in dream land if you think Edlers salary starts with a 4.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Potatoe1 wrote: Edler is also 6'3, 26 years old, and has a higher ppg average over the past 2 years.

Agreed, this may all be for not if he's traded to Nashville for Weber who's agent said he want's to play here, as we are a contender and him on this team pretty much vaults us to pure contender status.

Edler imo should get 5 to 5.5M per realistically, but if Nashville acquires him for Weber they might have to overpay to about $7M per.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

EDler is worth 3. 5 million tops. Dude is the 2nd coming of Lars Zetterstrom. Very meagre player to say the least.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blobby come back... :(
____
Try to focus on someday.
Scintillator
CC Veteran

Post by Scintillator »

Strangelove wrote:Blobby come back... :(
Something's wrong... maybe he should get a full check-up, eh? Might be a tumor. :|

Or maybe RD got hold of his account...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: Edler is also 6'3, 26 years old, and has a higher ppg average over the past 2 years.

Agreed, this may all be for not if he's traded to Nashville for Weber who's agent said he want's to play here, as we are a contender and him on this team pretty much vaults us to pure contender status.

Edler imo should get 5 to 5.5M per realistically, but if Nashville acquires him for Weber they might have to overpay to about $7M per.

Say again?
The only HW the Canucks need
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:

Say again?
+1

SKYO, where's your source? Welcome news, if it's true.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Mëds wrote:
dbr wrote:He's still got warts on his game right now but the fact is that if he didn't he'd be a clear cut number one defenseman we'd be hoping he'd accept a deal in the mid $6m range. In fact at age 26 it's entirely possible that this time next year he will be that player - and if he hasn't been extended already we'll be wringing our hands about watching the best defenseman of the 2013 UFA class getting ready to listen to offers from other teams.
Exactly my point. He's a $4M dman.....$4.5M at best until his game rounds into the for we all hope it can/will.
Only in Gillis's dreams perhaps.... :mrgreen:

A comparison on the open market would be Wisneiwski, who got $5.5 mil based on one decent 51 point season, and a couple of seasons around the 30 - 35 mark.
Edler has 49, 33, 42 & 37 in the last 4 years, and has missed much less time than the Wizz.

He could probably get 6 or even 6.5 on the open market (again, depending on CBA), so the Canucks might hope to get him for around 5 or so on a long tern deal.
Some team is always willing to spend stupid money on what they think is a blue-chip D man

Another thing to consider with Burrows & Edler is that they might be wanting a bit of compensation for the past couple of years, feeling that they were underpaid.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Zamboni Driver wrote:Another thing to consider with Burrows & Edler is that they might be wanting a bit of compensation for the past couple of years, feeling that they were underpaid.
I also hope the Burrows considers the story of Anson Carter.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."