Alex Edler's next contract

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Alex Edler's next contract

Postby SKYO » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:51 pm

In that recent Gillis interview on canucks.com, he said he has or will be talking to the potential ufa's agents on this team, I think Burrows will go down to the wire in 2013 as I don't think he will give MG a hometown discount that MG likes all his players to do.

Edler on the other hand, will get paid by MG as he's pretty much our #1 dman.

imo AE will easily get $5+M per, 4-7 years term.

$5M per would be perfect but I bet he get's $5.5M - $5.75M, $6M seems a bit of an overpayment for now till he starts playing dominant more consistently.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3601
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Alex Edler's next contract

Postby Meds » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:44 pm

SKYO wrote:In that recent Gillis interview on canucks.com, he said he has or will be talking to the potential ufa's agents on this team, I think Burrows will go down to the wire in 2013 as I don't think he will give MG a hometown discount that MG likes all his players to do.

Edler on the other hand, will get paid by MG as he's pretty much our #1 dman.

imo AE will easily get $5+M per, 4-7 years term.

$5M per would be perfect but I bet he get's $5.5M - $5.75M, $6M seems a bit of an overpayment for now till he starts playing dominant more consistently.


Based on what? His complete and utter collapse in the opening round against LA? Or was it all his regular season gaffs that earned him such a payout?

Edler is on the verge of becoming Ohlund 2.0.....a good defenseman who everyone seems to think is a bonafied top #2-3 guy but really is a #4 who simply has periods of good play from time-to-time but ultimately screws up when it matters most.

Edler was directly responsible for 3 of the 4 game winning goals that the Kings put in the Canucks net. He continually bobbles the puck at the point on the PP, misses the net if he ever actually does shoot, and seems afraid to throw the big hits he is capable of throwing. If people are so high on Edler, then GMMG needs to move him out right now while he's still got a full year on his contract and the world thinks so highly of him.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3466
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Alex Edler's next contract

Postby dbr » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:48 pm

How many so-called number four defensemen are selected to play in the All Star game, put up just shy of 50 points, etc? Hell you could make an argument that Edler was the fourth best defenseman on his team at the ASG.

The fact is that Edler is this team's best defensemen on many nights, he certainly has not found a way to be that player on an everyday basis and until then I wouldn't crack open the vault on a long term deal but calling him a number four guy is more an indication of insane expectations than of his play on the ice or his value to the team.

He's still got warts on his game right now but the fact is that if he didn't he'd be a clear cut number one defenseman we'd be hoping he'd accept a deal in the mid $6m range. In fact at age 26 it's entirely possible that this time next year he will be that player - and if he hasn't been extended already we'll be wringing our hands about watching the best defenseman of the 2013 UFA class getting ready to listen to offers from other teams.

It will be interesting to see what course of action the Canucks choose in this case; it's far from a sure bet that Edler will develop into a player worth a $6.5m salary like he did so easily to earn the $3.25m he earned on his last deal but the potential is there and with a continually rising salary cap it's a safe bet the deal wouldn't stop the team from making improvements elsewhere. Still the Canucks may see Edler's importance to the team as being roughly similar to Hamhuis and Bieksa and want to preserve the approximate salary structure they've defined with those two deals.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2569
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Alex Edler's next contract

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:14 pm

I like Eddie, but his performance vs LA did shake my head a bit. I was hoping that he'd develop into that stud Norris type D-man that we never had, but he has been with us for a number of years now and I'm starting to think it's probably not going to happen. He looks very much like Matty Ohlund, looks very good in his first few years in the league and u think he's going to take a step to get better and become an elite guy, but they kind of max out on their potential and never really take that next step. I hope I'm wrong and that Eddie can find that next gear in his game. My buddy saw him @ the mall and took a pic with him, boy I gotta say that Edler looked really thin. With that smaller frame, I can see why it might be hard for him to play that hard-hitting hockey consistenly. His body is just not built for it, another bad sign. :(
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Alex Edler's next contract

Postby Meds » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:20 pm

dbr wrote:He's still got warts on his game right now but the fact is that if he didn't he'd be a clear cut number one defenseman we'd be hoping he'd accept a deal in the mid $6m range. In fact at age 26 it's entirely possible that this time next year he will be that player - and if he hasn't been extended already we'll be wringing our hands about watching the best defenseman of the 2013 UFA class getting ready to listen to offers from other teams.


Exactly my point. He's a $4M dman.....$4.5M at best until his game rounds into the for we all hope it can/will.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3466
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Alex Edler's next contract

Postby dbr » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:34 pm

Meds wrote:
dbr wrote:He's still got warts on his game right now but the fact is that if he didn't he'd be a clear cut number one defenseman we'd be hoping he'd accept a deal in the mid $6m range. In fact at age 26 it's entirely possible that this time next year he will be that player - and if he hasn't been extended already we'll be wringing our hands about watching the best defenseman of the 2013 UFA class getting ready to listen to offers from other teams.


Exactly my point. He's a $4M dman.....$4.5M at best until his game rounds into the for we all hope it can/will.


Your salary expectations are ludicrous.

Take a look at the guys who outscored Edler this year, are there any who aren't on ELCs who won't be getting paid vastly more than $4m next year? The only defensemen other than Edler in the top 10 in scoring who earned in that range are on their first contract or signed their current deal four years ago (Streit/Wideman).

The way the cap is going up there's no way a player of his age and calibre signs a deal with a $4-4.5m cap hit - Laurence Gilman would have to take a month of stress leave after figuring out how to write up a contract that satisfies you and pays Edler what he's actually worth.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2569
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Alex Edler's next contract

Postby Meds » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:55 am

dbr wrote:
Meds wrote:
dbr wrote:He's still got warts on his game right now but the fact is that if he didn't he'd be a clear cut number one defenseman we'd be hoping he'd accept a deal in the mid $6m range. In fact at age 26 it's entirely possible that this time next year he will be that player - and if he hasn't been extended already we'll be wringing our hands about watching the best defenseman of the 2013 UFA class getting ready to listen to offers from other teams.


Exactly my point. He's a $4M dman.....$4.5M at best until his game rounds into the for we all hope it can/will.


Your salary expectations are ludicrous.

Take a look at the guys who outscored Edler this year, are there any who aren't on ELCs who won't be getting paid vastly more than $4m next year? The only defensemen other than Edler in the top 10 in scoring who earned in that range are on their first contract or signed their current deal four years ago (Streit/Wideman).

The way the cap is going up there's no way a player of his age and calibre signs a deal with a $4-4.5m cap hit - Laurence Gilman would have to take a month of stress leave after figuring out how to write up a contract that satisfies you and pays Edler what he's actually worth.


Take a look at the guys who were directly responsible for 3 game losing goals in the playoffs.....

He probably will get $5M.....but it's an over payment.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3466
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Alex Edler's next contract

Postby Potatoe1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:55 am

Meds wrote:
He probably will get $5M.....but it's an over payment.



You're dreaming,,,

Edler is going to get PAID, and people are going to swallow hard when they see the number and term.

And it doesn't matter if he had a bad series against LA, contracts are not built around 5 games, they are built around a players Career, and Edlers to date has been excellent.

Start at 6 over 5 and move up based on what the new CBA looks like.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1613
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Alex Edler's next contract

Postby ODB » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:56 am

Meds wrote:
Take a look at the guys who were directly responsible for 3 game losing goals in the playoffs.....

He probably will get $5M.....but it's an over payment.

Meds, I think I preferred you banned!

:thumbs:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
User avatar
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:13 pm

Re: Alex Edler's next contract

Postby dbr » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:39 am

Meds wrote:Take a look at the guys who were directly responsible for 3 game losing goals in the playoffs.....


Well, I'm hesitant to pile on at this point but since I called you on this first I feel comfortable continuing to argue it. :P

To me this sounds like sour grapes. And that's fine, we're fans and losing sucked ass. But a few gaffes in a single playoff round don't determine whether you cut an incredibly talented, young, big defender loose from your team over 2-3% of your salary cap allocation.

It's the same as if Edler had a monster series and was burying players and hitting open men with long bomb passes.. would you give him $8m because he had five spectacular playoff games (that he was totally unlikely to reproduce over a large sample)? Of course not.

Anyway. Not to rub your nose in the Kovalchuk thing Image but I am fairly sure Edler played through a couple of lingering injuries in the playoffs - I think his hand never really healed up this year but I can't dig up a source right now.

Personally I think Edler can blossom with a more clearly defined role, he had that with Christian Ehrhoff freelancing on the right side and he'd have that with a steadier partner on his right but he didn't have that at all this season.

He probably will get $5M.....but it's an over payment.


He will absolutely get $5m, and it's not an overpayment - like Mike Gillis said you pay for points in this league and Edler is the most gifted offensiver producer on the Canucks blueline at a significantly younger age than guys like Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis.

Anyway if he signs for four or more years I expect he'll get a number that he'll have to grow into (unless he does that this offseason), which I'm sure will make him a popular scapegoat for a couple of years.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2569
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Alex Edler's next contract

Postby Topper » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:52 am

Real $'s, KB3 pulled in $7mil last season, Eddie will do better.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5016
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Alex Edler's next contract

Postby Potatoe1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:08 am

dbr wrote:It's the same as if Edler had a monster series and was burying players and hitting open men with long bomb passes.. would you give him $8m because he had five spectacular playoff games (that he was totally unlikely to reproduce over a large sample)? Of course not.



Thing is, Edler "has" had playoff runs like that.

Lots of ups and downs but this player has gone through stretches where he's demonstrated every attribute you would want in a no1 defenseman.

He's also a home grown player, a model citizens, and still very young. He is exactly the type of player you comitt big dollars too long term.

And yeah a bad 5 game series does not change that.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1613
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Alex Edler's next contract

Postby donlever » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:14 am

...LeBrun was talking about Edler a while back and was commenting that Eastern based guys at the ASG (players and power brokers) were really talking Alex up.

Who is this guy?

Big time skill!

Great passer!

Great shot!

Cool demeanour on him!

Wow!

Nuff said...
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1846
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Alex Edler's next contract

Postby wafflecombine » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:40 am

Edler will get what all the other main D guys are getting. Something in the 4-5 range. If he has thoughts that'll he'll be a Keith, Webber, Lynstrom, Doughty..etc he'll sign for 3-4 years so he can test the waters again at a later date.

otherwise locking in long-term with a NTC-NMC is simply leaving dollars on the table.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Re: Alex Edler's next contract

Postby SKYO » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:41 pm

dbr wrote:He will absolutely get $5m, and it's not an overpayment - like Mike Gillis said you pay for points in this league and Edler is the most gifted offensiver producer on the Canucks blueline at a significantly younger age than guys like Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis.

Anyway if he signs for four or more years I expect he'll get a number that he'll have to grow into (unless he does that this offseason), which I'm sure will make him a popular scapegoat for a couple of years.


Yup, I remember hoping to re-sign Kesler for $4.5M per, but he got $5M.

So if my theory is correct, I'm hoping they re-sign Edler for $5-5.25M, so he'll probably get $5.5-$5.75M. ;)
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3601
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Next

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dchrist2, Meds and 4 guests