OK, So What I have heard this May 2012

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: OK, So What I have heard this May 2012

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:It seems like Nashville cannot get Weber to re-sign, therefore they should trade him to the team he wants to spend the rest of his career with... and take what they can get. The only leverage they would have is keeping him for one more year by matching (obviously there will be a ONE-year offer-sheet).

Of course there's the option of just taking the comp-picks, but personally I'd rather have the one more year of Weber.

Must suck to have most of your players desperately scrambling to get out of town. :drink:

If you're that team that Weber wants to play for though, do you one-year offer-sheet him and give up the picks

... or wait one more year and get him as a UFA?
Well that "one" team that Weber wants to play for, then you have to consider that your top line is getting older, there really isn't a ready replacement for them quite yet, and your window to win with said group is getting a little smaller. May as well maximize the number of years that such a team would have WITH Weber, and also go all out and show the guy that you want him too.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Strangelove wrote:
If you're that team that Weber wants to play for though, do you one-year offer-sheet him and give up the picks

... or wait one more year and get him as a UFA?
If you are that team you probably try to work out a deal with the Preds.

Lock it up, if you know what I mean.

Perhaps it's a homer statement, but if he does leave Nashville, don't ya think Vancouver has to be his top choice?

Home team, top team, committed ownership, good management, top rate power play, a friend and former defensive partner, etc. etc.

I could also see him following Sutter to perhaps Detroit. Maybe Philadelphia or Pittsburgh....
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Potatoe1 wrote:Perhaps it's a homer statement, but if he does leave Nashville, don't ya think Vancouver has to be his top choice?
Thats what I always assumed. Though I was pretty bummed when he said in an interview a few weeks back that he didn't grow up a Canucks fan. So the "playing for the team you cheered for growing up" angle is out.

At least we still have the "closer to family and friends" angle.
2011..... the one that got away.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...if either of those things are important I would suggest home, friends and family trump the team you cheered for growing up.

The latter would just be icing.

(Eh Eddy, mmmm, icing...)
DeLevering since 1999.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

If Weber is the "bold" move, then I think the offer will be a 1 year deal.

Suter seems like a goner from Nashville, leaving them with only $32M committed to the cap, and Weber signing an offer-sheet would be welcome news, allowing them to match and lock him up.

But, if Gillis signs Weber to a a year deal with a NTC, and gives up either two 1st rounders, a 2nd and a 3rd, or he goes big money for 1 year and forfeits the four 1st rounders, the Preds would have to think before matching.

It's doubtful the Preds would get value equal to four 1st rounders if they were to trade Weber, and with a NTC, he completely controls the situation.

Whether giving up the four 1st rounders is worth it or not, that would certainly qualify as a BOLD move.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

donlever wrote:(Eh Eddy, mmmm, icing...)
Not much of a sweet tooth donny.

Unless its honey garlic pork or maple brown sugar sausages.

Mmmmm... sweet meat.
2011..... the one that got away.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

coco_canuck wrote:Whether giving up the four 1st rounders is worth it or not, that would certainly qualify as a BOLD move.
It would be quite the debate amongst Canucks fans if that is how things pan out, which of Mike Gillis move is bolder - giving up four first round picks for a year and the inside track on a long term extension with Weber? Or a two year offer to Sundin that - if accepted - could have been ruinous?
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

dbr wrote: It would be quite the debate amongst Canucks fans if that is how things pan out, which of Mike Gillis move is bolder - giving up four first round picks for a year and the inside track on a long term extension with Weber? Or a two year offer to Sundin that - if accepted - could have been ruinous?
I think the Weber deal would be bolder because it would include giving up 4 significant draft picks as well as money, and no long-term guarantee. However, I think Weber will sign a long-term deal with the Canucks as soon as he's able to if we get him on a 1 year pact.

The Sundin offer was a calculated risk in that Gillis wanted to drive other suitors away, and he was certain Sundin was only looking for a one-year deal. Gillis has said as much since, and from the day the offer was made, Sundin was told a 1 year deal at $10M was also on the table.

However, in a hypothetical world, the second year at $10M "could" have been ruinous, but GMMG's hunch paid off.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Yeah, I guess Weber walking away is much more plausible than Mats signing a two year deal after spending years publicly mulling over the prospect of retirement.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Given that MG wants to get young I can't see him parting with all those picks for one year of Weber. It would be bold but also stupid. Maybe the bold move is in trading for him.
The only HW the Canucks need
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

A Schneider package should do the job (subject to checking terms with Weber).

However, the required assets may be better applied elsewhere.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

coco_canuck wrote: Whether giving up the four 1st rounders is worth it or not, that would certainly qualify as a BOLD move.
Really it would be 3 first rounders as Gillis will be able to get one of them back when he moves one of the goalies...

If it ends up being a high first round pick (i.e. TO's 5th or Col's 2nd) - nothing stopping him from potentially moving that 2nd to a team like the Rangers or Flyers (who will also have late picks for) 2 first rounders (i.e. give Phi the 2nd or 5th for their first in 2012 and their first in 2013) - now he's got two of them back...

^ just picked two teams off the top of my head - it could be anyone.
john swartzwelder
AHL Prospect

Post by john swartzwelder »

Hockey Widow wrote:If Weber is not committed to staying in Nashville he won't risk signing an offer sheet that can be easily matched by Nashville. He will take another one year deal and hit the market next year. I think he waits to see what happens with Suter before he makes a move. If Suter stays then perhaps Weber does too.

I see a move towards a FA. Perhaps Suter or Parise.
Well nashville matching an 1 year offer sheet is the same thing as signing a 1 year deal... so why not sign an offer sheet? There is a chance nashville wont match.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

clem wrote:A Schneider package should do the job (subject to checking terms with Weber).

However, the required assets may be better applied elsewhere.
Is Nashville also trading Rinne (NMC)? :look:

I can't see the Predators moving any significant assets in exchange for a guy who is looking to be number one in the crease.

The Predators are going to want usable defensemen and two-way forwards who can put the puck in the net. If their top 2 horses are on their way out of town, and they stand to lose a score of forwards too, I can't see them simply taking prospects and picks all the way to next season, they certainly have a good number of picks now too. They will likely be going hard in the UFA market, and they simply have to shop Weber to the highest bidder.....though Weber being an UFA after next season gives Weber alot of control here as any team making a deal for his rights is going to want some assurances first. Especially after the way the Hamhuis deal(s) went down two years ago with Philly and Pittsburgh.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Here's a Farhan-style hypothetical, assuming that Weber wants out and Poile needs to move him.

What are thoughts about the following.....

To Nashville: Edler, Ballard, Raymond, Malhotra, 3rd round pick. Total = $12.16M (assuming reduction on Raymond).

To Vancouver: Weber, Craig Smith, 5th round pick. Total = $8.4M (variable as Weber would get a new deal).

Trotz would love having Malhotra as a faceoff option on defense, he'd be a fan of Raymond's speed and back-checking ability, and the Predators would receive two defensemen who can both play 18+ minutes per game.

Vancouver's blueline looks like this.....

Hamhuis - Weber
_______ - Bieksa
_______ - Tanev/(Salo?)

Gillis then has the option of going after the following UFA defensemen.

(UFA)
Matt Carle
Dennis Wideman
Brad Stuart
Barret Jackman
Bryan Allen
Shaone Morrisonn
Carlo Colaiacovo

(RFA)
Kyle Quincey
Michael Del Zotto
Cam Barker
Mark Fistric

Then move Luongo and either get a heavy prospect/draft pick return, or a top 6 winger.....preferably the latter.

Obviously Zach Parise is my first choice, but it sounds like he's looking to stay in New Jersey. The only other UFA's I see that interest me at all are Brad Boyes and Kristian Huselius. There are some RFA's out there that would be gorgeous pickups, but I think that they would only come this way in a trade.