Dear US Border Guards...

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Dear US Border Guards...

Post by Topper »

rats19 wrote: In2010 they took me my [b]wide[/b] and daufhter individually Into the interrogation room..
LOL, you are a brave rat.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Topper wrote:
rats19 wrote: In2010 they took me my [b]wide[/b] and daufhter individually Into the interrogation room..
LOL, you are a brave rat.
Yah I read that after...lol too much work to edit on the Android...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:
Topper wrote:Hep, Hep, Ho-ray.
My thoughts exactly.

A person like her could really aid me in having some good and wholesome fun. 8-)

.........like playing Mini-golf!
She's the hole and your club is mini?
Yes, but please keep in mind that even a Boeing 747 looks relatively diminutive when hovering around the Grand Canyon. ;)
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Cornuck wrote:
BCExpat wrote:Just sayin'. Not everyone has a bad time crossing the border.
Anyone else notice a huge difference in your crossing experience if you're with a buddy, versus a wife or girlfriend? The difference is nightmare and day.
This is probably true. We're an older couple, so they probably don't preceive us as being a threat. I'm not sure if it helps that we have a place down there, but if Rats experience is any indication, I guess it's more important to have a permanent address in Canada.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

A signed tenancy agreement
Copies of utility bills to that address
Letter from employer expecting you bsck by...whatever date
Proof you can sustain yourself financially while there
Copy of mortgate or titles in canada

I had none of that. Just a uhaul truck with all my belongings and a newly purchased home in Arizona

I can see why they turned me back. Since then I have all the the proof and 5yrs later.they still give me a hard time. Last year I actually said....you would yhonk I would have made my move by now....don't ya think fellas
So expatriates, its really not an I guess situation...its a must.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

rats19 wrote:A signed tenancy agreement
Copies of utility bills to that address
Letter from employer expecting you bsck by...whatever date
Proof you can sustain yourself financially while there
Copy of mortgate or titles in canada
I moved down (flew down) in '97. I had a few boxes, a mountain bike and a guitar. They asked me quite few questions, but the main thing was "Can I support myself?" I had just settled with ICBC and had a very nice bank account. For some unknown reason I had printed out my bank statement and showed them that. They let me in and I was married a month later. Coming back with the rest of my stuff? Now that was a challenge!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:Hey they just had a feature on CTV news about a girl being denied access into the states at Sumas.

Last name Anderson?

Was this her Doc?

Sorry was only half paying attention.
Yep, twas.
I knew it!

So they're discriminating against ethnic Swedes, eh? :evil:
Actually I sorta get where these border guards are coming from now now. :D

... except these are right-leaning God-loving ethnic Swedes we're talkin about!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-AWBfxs ... re=related

Idiot and his wife did everything they could do wrong.

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-AWBfxs ... re=related

Idiot and his wife did everything they could do wrong.
The guy was just begging for it from the get go, imagine mocking the the guard by repeating his questions with contempt like that?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

donlever wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Oh yeah "we don't want lowly Canucks dating our lads and perhaps one-day moving down here". :scowl:
Interesting bit of hypocrisy between our two nations.

We do a fair amount of work for the Hudsons Bay chain (BC Region) which includes, until a few weeks down the road when Target takes over, the Zellers group.

After completing an emergency project at a Zellers recently I went in to do a final walk around with my Super and the manager told me she's been working at the same outlet for 35 years and at the end of July (I think it was) she, and all the other employees are out on their asses to be replaced by, wait for it, Americans.

Wtf? Says I, how does that work, as far as I know they can't just waltz in and take Canadian jobs (apparently they can when dealing with the soft Canadian politicians)? As a matter of fact pre-Olympics when we were desperate for more manpower I tired to hire a few Yanks, who were equally desperate for work at the time (probably still are and if they were any good they'd still be working at lever and sons) and the Government threw so many road blocks in front of me (you have to hire Canadian first Mr. Lever....I've got 300 resumes of shit in front of me says I, they're all lazy, useless, untrained tits and it'll be a cold day in hell before...anyway...I digress...) that I ended up going Global which was ten times easier if you can imagine that.

When we went to the Ravens game last year the border guard was a 350 lb. sack of shit who was grilling the hell out of us, my buddy in the front seat was fucking around with his phone while I was talking to the guy...wtf r u doing with your phone sir?, says the guy, chill dude, sheesh, until, after taking note of his particularily rotund frame, I asked him kindly what one would eat at Qwest field, cue eyes lighting up, Oh, you gotta have the garlic fries, they're the best, garlic fries sir, ok says I, we'll have some fries, great, enjoy the game guys he says...and off we go.
Don, there is a story today about Target getting approval for the takeover and I saw a link to this story.

As I figured, get rid of the union and old employees, dead weight and start fresh. Interesting the Brentwood employees are trying to make Target a successor company whereas what they are actually doing is taking over Zellars leases on buildings. I have noticed blowout sales advertised in the Zellars store windows as stock is liquidated.

Last thing they want is to be a successor company and inherit Zellars problems.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Ta ... story.html

donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Interesting, that is a complete contradiction to what the woman told me.

Talking with sour grapes in her mouth.
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Bopped across the line for fuel today ($1.21/l) but what a line up. US Border Patrol was on extra vigilance probably due to the perceived threats in the middle east. the local guys at our sleepy little crossing must live for this shit.

Alternatively, the Canadian guys were their regular Captain Coffee selves.

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote:Bopped across the line for fuel today ($1.21/l) but what a line up. US Border Patrol was on extra vigilance probably due to the perceived threats in the middle east. the local guys at our sleepy little crossing must live for this shit.

Alternatively, the Canadian guys were their regular Captain Coffee selves.
My experience with both sides is that the Canadian guards are twice the assholes of their yankee counterparts.
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I know a couple of the guys working the Canadian side of the crossing here, my wife knows most of them. I hadn't seen the guy that checked me through back into Canada yesterday before, but it was 30 seconds.

The guy on the US side have seen several times and he's a decent guy. Extras yesterday was he held my passport next to my face to check the photo, seemed like a procedural thing. Also, all vehicles received some sort of search. He opened the back door of my truck, tipped the seat bottom forward and looked in the compartment under the seat. Didn't say boo about the axe on the floor back there or the machete on my drivers side door sill.

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I cruise through the border so quickly now its not even funny. I go down regularly for gas and groceries because I'm about 30 seconds from the truck crossing.

On the way down:
"Where do you live sir?"
"Just up the street in South Surrey here."
"what's the purpose of your trip?"
"Just going to get some gas and a few groceries."
"Thank you, have a good night."

On the way back up:
"How long were you gone?"
"About an hour or so."
"What was the purpose of your trip?"
"Filled up with gas and picked up some groceries."
"Any alcohol or tobacco today?"
"Yes, I have a 6/12 pack of Ninkasi beer from Oregon."
"OK, thank you - have a nice evening."

Always roll down your rear drivers side window before you get to the border guard, they are going to ask you to do it anyways (especially if tinted) and that way they know you're not hiding anything back there. And if you have young kids, keep the car seats in.