OK, So What I have heard this May 2012

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: OK, So What I have heard this May 2012

Post by ODB »

dbr wrote:
Evander's got his own issues, depending on who you listen to. Gossip around Winnepeg this year was that he walked out on his tab at a restaurant, and when the proprietors tried to get their due Kane told them if they looked the other way and paid him $500 in cash he'd plug their establishment on twitter.
That probably what Pete's talking about. I hadn't heard that one. Still, dude is 21 and just scored 30 goals playing on the 2nd line and getting 2nd unit PP time. He's going to be a beauty IMO!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

donlever wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:
What would they consider a bold move?
A big offer to Weber would be pretty freaking bold.
Agreed, but they wouldn't have to wait until July 1st for that, they could make that offer now. When I hear bold on July 1st the only thing that makes sense is a UFA offer or an offer sheet. I think Gillis is more likely to go after free agents.

There aren't many that would be considered bold moves, this is a weak FA class. Perhaps they even try to make multiple moves, who knows.

Only a few more days before we see what happens.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If Weber is not committed to staying in Nashville he won't risk signing an offer sheet that can be easily matched by Nashville. He will take another one year deal and hit the market next year. I think he waits to see what happens with Suter before he makes a move. If Suter stays then perhaps Weber does too.

I see a move towards a FA. Perhaps Suter or Parise.
The only HW the Canucks need
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

To me bold suggests RFA!

UFA offers aren't bold IMO!

I thought it was pretty much common knowledge Parise is going home. Sorta like the whole world knew Hamhus was going home! Parise is not an option. Suter... Maybe. Were he and Hamhus buddies?
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

A bold move might be going after both Suter and Weber.

There, I jinxed it. :P
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

BladesofSteel wrote:A bold move might be going after both Suter and Weber.

Detroit is probably the only team in the league that could afford to do that.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

ODB wrote:
dbr wrote:
Evander's got his own issues, depending on who you listen to. Gossip around Winnepeg this year was that he walked out on his tab at a restaurant, and when the proprietors tried to get their due Kane told them if they looked the other way and paid him $500 in cash he'd plug their establishment on twitter.
That probably what Pete's talking about. I hadn't heard that one. Still, dude is 21 and just scored 30 goals playing on the 2nd line and getting 2nd unit PP time. He's going to be a beauty IMO!
It was $5000 to plug.

Kane threw a glass in a bar and then denied it and then tried to fight the bouncer who kicked him out. Did not end well.

Kane's deal was he was a lousy tipper in that he never did tip. Got a bad rep around town. So what ended up happening was that his dad came out and 'talked' to him and took him around to various establishments to make amends.

Father knows best.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

Would Schultz be a bold move or just an obvious one??

Would love to see Suter and Weber here but don't wanna get hopes up too high... :-)
Last edited by Rede on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Farhan Lalji wrote:

And knowing Detroit they might try to do it too.

All I was told was that the Canucks have their eye on one player in particular and are prepared to make a bold move the get that player. I really don't know if by FA or trade. But MG likes to talk about bold moves. Of course his idea of a bold move may be different from that of the average fan. LA made some bold moves both last year and this deadline day. Look where it got them. Can't say the same for SJS though with their bold moves.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:

And knowing Detroit they might try to do it too.

All I was told was that the Canucks have their eye on one player in particular and are prepared to make a bold move the get that player. I really don't know if by FA or trade. But MG likes to talk about bold moves. Of course his idea of a bold move may be different from that of the average fan. LA made some bold moves both last year and this deadline day. Look where it got them. Can't say the same for SJS though with their bold moves.
Mike Gillis NEEDS to make a bold move, this group is stale. If he don't, we will be the next Calgary Flames, riding on the Sedins like they do Iginla.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Hockey Widow wrote: LA made some bold moves both last year and this deadline day. Look where it got them. Can't say the same for SJS though with their bold moves.
Great point about LA.

That's now three teams over the past 5 years or so that made the investment for that "final piece"...........and ended up winning the cup.

-Anaheim with Pronger
-Chicago with Hossa and Campbell
-LA with Richards, Carter, Gagne (if Gagne counts).

Unfortunately - as much as I loathe the idea of citing Boston as an example, them bringing in Nathan Horton was a shrewd move.

Obviously - there is risk involved. As you say, San Jose's moves with Havlat and Burns didn't exactly pan out. However - I think at this stage in the Canucks' window, Gillis needs to bite the bullet.

Your news about Gillis' intention to make a bold move in this off-season has given me a rocket in my pocket. 8-) Which is all one can really ask for.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Farhan Lalji wrote:

The Canucks could easily afford it - $15m in cap space right now and $22m if they move Edler and Ballard (a top four of Suter/Weber/Hamhuis/Bieksa is among the league's best)..
CaptainTrev
CC Veteran

Post by CaptainTrev »

RoyalDude wrote:
Mike Gillis NEEDS to make a bold move, this group is stale. If he don't, we will be the next Calgary Flames, riding on the Sedins like they do Iginla.
Flames got stale, so Sutter made the bold move of trading Phaneuf

This is why all the Lou-to-Toronto rumors make me a bit nervous 8-)
"Perhaps there is no moral to this story."

"Exactly! It's just a bunch of stuff that happened."
Timeless
AHL Prospect

Post by Timeless »

donlever wrote:..one must consider what Shea wants as well.
Hey guys, late late refugee here. (mostly lurker)

If Shea does indeed want to be here, what is likelihood of a one year 7.8M (or whatever number is at the top end of tier 2 RFA compensation) offer sheet? Worst case scenario they match, can't trade him for 1 yr (July 1st) and lose him for nothing to UFA. Best case they choose the 2 firsts, second, and third rather than pay 7.8M for one year of a player they can't trade and wants to sign elsewhere when he's UFA. I have a hard time believing Gillis would forfeit his 1RP until 2017 just to get a player one year from UFA, regardless of calibre.

I suppose it may take more of a high ball offer, BUT if MG has good info that this is where he wants to be, then he may not need to inflate the offer sheet to scare off Nashville. It may explain the reacquisition of our 2013 3rd rd pick if he thinks he can get away with this. Nashville can't take him to arbitration and can't trade him if they match an offer sheet, which is a unique situation in which the RFA actually holds all the cards. I would feel bad for the Preds but oh well. Sometimes you need to be an asshole to get an asshole.

I can't think of any other move on July 1 that would be considered bold on this level.

If I am wrong or this has been covered then my apologies.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Timeless wrote:
donlever wrote:..one must consider what Shea wants as well.
Hey guys, late late refugee here. (mostly lurker)

If Shea does indeed want to be here, what is likelihood of a one year 7.8M (or whatever number is at the top end of tier 2 RFA compensation) offer sheet? Worst case scenario they match, can't trade him for 1 yr (July 1st) and lose him for nothing to UFA. Best case they choose the 2 firsts, second, and third rather than pay 7.8M for one year of a player they can't trade and wants to sign elsewhere when he's UFA. I have a hard time believing Gillis would forfeit his 1RP until 2017 just to get a player one year from UFA, regardless of calibre.

I suppose it may take more of a high ball offer, BUT if MG has good info that this is where he wants to be, then he may not need to inflate the offer sheet to scare off Nashville. It may explain the reacquisition of our 2013 3rd rd pick if he thinks he can get away with this. Nashville can't take him to arbitration and can't trade him if they match an offer sheet, which is a unique situation in which the RFA actually holds all the cards. I would feel bad for the Preds but oh well. Sometimes you need to be an asshole to get an asshole.

I can't think of any other move on July 1 that would be considered bold on this level.

If I am wrong or this has been covered then my apologies.
Yeah we could do an offer sheet for just under the minimum threshold prior to the 4-first rounders. Problem is Nashville would match that immidiately. Think Crosby money. That miiight make Nashville back away. The problem is you lose 4 first round picks for him. Chris Pronger has been traded a few times for multiple first round picks and it's mostly worked out for the acquiring team. And if anyone is worth it, it's probably Weber.

Gillis proved with Sundin that he wasn't afraid to throw out ridiculous contracts. Clear Ballard, Luongo, Raymond from the books. Offer Weber 8-years $70M and see what happens? Then again Nashville paid Weber $7.5M last year, what's another $1.25?? I think Gillis should put the feelers out with Hamhuis, let him know the Canucks would love Shea back in BC, let DH do the leg work and wait for him to go to Free Agency. Weber for free= yay. Tampering? What tampering?