OK, So What I have heard this May 2012

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: OK, So What I have heard this May 2012

Post by wafflecombine »

Well, with the draft on the 22nd, this sounds like a free agent move based on timing.

So the question is, which wonder boy are we gunning for?
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Hearing the Canucks are planning a "bold" move July 1. Well, at least a bold offer. Don't know details.
CC's old Pauser (now Y2KCanucks) suggested this earlier today:

Trade Schneider and the 26th pick to Columbus for the 2nd overall pick, then flip that with Chris Tanev to Edmonton for the 1st overall pick. Draft Nail Yakupov.

That would be bold. And would work for all parties imo.
2011..... the one that got away.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Sounds good to me but...but trade like those are pretty tough to put together
cheers
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:Hearing the Canucks are planning a "bold" move July 1. Well, at least a bold offer. Don't know details.

They would like to have the goaltending "issue" resolved by the start of FA but are prepared to go into camp with both guys if they have to. In other words, we want to trade one but we won't be low balled so we can still have both if we have to but we really need to trade one so this is a bluff but we hope you buy it and if you really need a goalie you will cream your jeans and offer the moon but if you don't then we will threaten to play all year with both so there.
What would they consider a bold move? Parise? Suter? I'm assuming they will spend to the cap and they have a ton of room with the $70 million cap, so that's not an issue.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Luongo's trade and free agency - I see Gillis being ultra-aggressive this offseason and Aquilini having no problem bankrolling it.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

Diehard1 wrote:
What would they consider a bold move?
A big offer to Weber would be pretty freaking bold.
DeLevering since 1999.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Fred wrote:Sounds good to me but...but trade like those are pretty tough to put together
Works out to Schneider, Tanev and a First for Yakupov.

Columbus get their franchise goalie and a 26th overall and give up their 2nd.

I can't help but think we could get a little more from Columbus such as a prospect or 3 rounder.

Edmonton does fine. Goes down one draft spot, picks a stellar player and gets an up and coming D man they so desperately need.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I don't think Edmonton does that deal, solely on account of who ends up with first overall.

If the BJs could be persuaded to trade up to number one, then take 26th, Schneider and Tanev (if that's what they want) in one fell swoop for it, that would be another thing.

Of course, does Howson want to cross the organization that taught him how to be the league's second-worst GM?
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

dbr wrote:I don't think Edmonton does that deal, solely on account of who ends up with first overall.
That is definitely the fly in the ointment. Twist their arm by upgrading to Edler?

That giving up a lot though.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Bold offer... First thing that popped into my mind was Kane and Duchene.

Both RFA's that are eligible to receive offer sheets.

:?:

ETA: Considering Winnipeg and Colorado could actually let the players go. Webber is a waste of an offer IMO. Nashville will match no matter what.
Last edited by ODB on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

You've got to absolutely destroy your salary structure to scare a team off of matching an offer sheet.

The only player I can think of worth that kind of money is Shea Weber, and yes I would sign him to a retirement contract and give up five first round picks.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

dbr wrote:You've got to absolutely destroy your salary structure to scare a team off of matching an offer sheet.

The only player I can think of worth that kind of money is Shea Weber, and yes I would sign him to a retirement contract and give up five first round picks.
Nashville paid Webber 7 million this season and they'll do it again next season.... or till retirement.

My opinion.

Duchene is interesting. Was plagued by injury last season and Colorado is one of the, if not the, lowest spending teams in the league. They might let him go. Kane might be harder to get. (I'd prefer Kane... for sure)
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

ODB wrote:
dbr wrote:You've got to absolutely destroy your salary structure to scare a team off of matching an offer sheet.

Nashville paid Webber 7 million this season and they'll do it again next season.... or till retirement.

My opinion.

Duchene is interesting. Was plagued by injury last season and Colorado is one of the, if not the, lowest spending teams in the league. They might let him go. Kane might be harder to get. (I'd prefer Kane... for sure)
Bouncers in Vancouver are licking their chops at having him come back to town regularly. O'Brien who? :D
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Vpete wrote:Bouncers in Vancouver are licking their chops at having him come back to town regularly. O'Brien who? :D
LOL, good joke but wrong Kane. I'm talking about former Vancouver Giant Evander Kane.

Fuck, I'd spring a chubby if GMMG could somehow land that kid!!!
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ODB wrote:

My opinion.
You're probably right. If you could give him $25m over the next 370 days or so it would certainly put their ability to do so to the test.
ODB wrote:
Vpete wrote:Bouncers in Vancouver are licking their chops at having him come back to town regularly. O'Brien who? :D
LOL, good joke but wrong Kane. I'm talking about former Vancouver Giant Evander Kane.

Fuck, I'd spring a chubby if GMMG could somehow land that kid!!!
Evander's got his own issues, depending on who you listen to. Gossip around Winnepeg this year was that he walked out on his tab at a restaurant, and when the proprietors tried to get their due Kane told them if they looked the other way and paid him $500 in cash he'd plug their establishment on twitter.

Doesn't sound like the Gillis type to me, if it's true that is.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

..one must consider what Shea wants as well.
DeLevering since 1999.