This years draft June 22nd in Pitts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: This years draft June 22nd in Pitts

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:bit of both...we cant draft worth shit...thats a proven fact that has spanned decades...
No, Gillis can't draft worth shit. Coming up to his 5th draft and the only one draft pick of his that has made the grade in that time, he trades away for a player playing in the minors. I don't think Gillis is a big believer of drafting and developing. He has traded more picks in his time as GM than any other GM in Canuck history.

I love it though, cause the pressure is really on Gillis now. We finally get to see what he is truly made of as a GM after hiding behind a team where it's core players were put in place by previous management, now that that core is getting stale or showing signs of it, we now get to see what Gillis is truly made of. Can't wait.
You do realize that it's R Delorme and the scouting staff that do 98 % of the leg work for the draft and they have the MOST say in who gets picked don't you ? Gillis is a figure head and little else. The scouting staff are the ones you should have an issue with.

Oh and BTW Dogsalmon the Canucks drafting is about average for the league over the past couple decades.....not bad, not good but your meltdown is a bit misguided.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

my meltdown is just fucking fine...dont you ever get pissed at watching someone else raise the goddamn jug every fucking year...shit...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
You do realize that it's R Delorme and the scouting staff that do 98 % of the leg work for the draft and they have the MOST say in who gets picked don't you ? Gillis is a figure head and little else. The scouting staff are the ones you should have an issue with.

Oh and BTW Dogsalmon the Canucks drafting is about average for the league over the past couple decades.....not bad, not good but your meltdown is a bit misguided.[/quote]

Blobby, the buck stops at Gillis. All things go through Gillis, he is the man, he has the final yay or nay on all hockey matters. If his staff fails, the people who he chooses to keep on board or hire, he fails. Bottom line. Your argument is sort of like blaming bad head coaching on the goalie coach or something along those lines. He is the orchestrator, the one pulling the strings. This is his team.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Pac B it's a consensus thing with the scouting and management team. Other than Coho who you hated BTW , i agree MG's picks have been underwhelming.

Let's maybe enjoy a competitive team instead of pissing and moaning about everything???

I think Jensen will be a player and I believe Connauton and Rodin will play in the league at some point. Where I have a problem with his drafting is Sauve and Schroeder. Give it a few years to play out .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

RoyalDude wrote: I don't think Gillis is a big believer of drafting and developing. He has traded more picks in his time as GM than any other GM in Canuck history.
I would like to see the math on Gillis having traded more picks in his time as GM than any other GM in Canucks history. Just looking at past drafts, it appears that Nonis traded away about as many picks with very little to show for it.

Regardless, I think the number of picks Gillis has traded away is reasonable considering that Gillis' teams have also been the most successful in Canucks history. The only stinker is the first round pick Gillis decided to trade away. Other than that, Gillis has consistently gotten players out of the picks he traded away. As for Gillis' picks not having made the team, he's definitely on the clock, but you can't say Gillis doesn't care about drafting and developing. I can easily argue that Gillis has taken the time to develop his prospects and not rush them.