OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Scintillator
CC Veteran

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Post by Scintillator »

Ugh. With all these lousy scheduling conflicts, delays and outright moronic pauses between games, if the Devils push it to 7 games, they might not award the cup until Canada Day...

At least the rainy season will be over by then :(
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

lol^

yeah the best game of the year Sat. Jan. 7th, 2012 Vancouver vs Boston blew this entire series out of the water.

The utter hatred towards each other, it was like ww3!

Injuries accrued, but that game is what a Cup final should be like! not this chill atmosphere Cup final we have now between these two teams who seem to like each other and want to pat each others back after each loss lol.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Well the one glimmer I hope I have that the NHL will realize the product they have allowed on the ice over the past calendar year is crap and needs to change back to what it was is that the ratings for the final are completely in the toilet. It can't all be due to the two teams involved as the NHl is getting what they wanted...the ratings in the New York area are among the hgihest ever and the LA area is the highest ever. No one else cares though, and it has sunk the overall ratings and that comes down to the average hockey fan not wanting to watch that crap. Hockey fans will watch good hockey...heck I hate the Hawks and Flyers but watched every minute of that series because it was fun to watch.

The 10 or so minutes of this series I've watched (and the limited viewing I've done since the second round) you can only come to one conclusion: the hockey is terrible.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..turned on the tube and watched 4 or 5 minutes of the most recent game.

Unwatchable.

Turned it off.

Perhaps even worse.

Jim Hughson is getting harder and harder to listen to.

Used to be at least his play calling offset the ludicrous comments by the moronic Simpson and that idiot Healy.

Not anymore.

Sigh....
DeLevering since 1999.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

This series sucks because there are no huge hits, even with Brown on the ice. That's what you get when everyone is always back and in position.
I think a tougher defense that stands up at the blue line would really go along way to straightening this LA King forward group out. All the teams they've played (including VCR) are backing in and trying to pick off passes. Boring, safe and nobody pays the price. Yawn.
If you need air...call it in
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Lebrun from ESPN.com:

This has not been a great Stanley Cup finals through four games. And I don’t blame the players one bit. They’re dog-gone tired. They are beat up. And some are playing hurt. Perhaps both teams will find a second gear Saturday night in Game 5, but at this point it appears as though the grind of the long NHL regular season and postseason has had its impact on the Kings and Devils. Oh, and I know what you’re going to say, Los Angeles hasn’t played many playoff games this spring. But the grind of the playoffs isn’t just on the ice, but also mental. Team meetings and practices between rounds are part of that. I felt the same way about the Bruins and Canucks last June. They were beat up. The product on the ice, at a time in which the NHL should be showcasing its very best example of a great sport, is hurt by it.

And so with that, I present to you five solutions to help reduce some of the grind on the players:

1. Shorten camp/preseason and start the regular season in mid-September. This would allow the schedule to be spread out over a longer number of days, allowing for more breathing room and fewer sequences of three games in four nights. Players don’t need training camp like yesteryear. They arrive at camp in perfect physical condition. And we all know how useless preseason games are. Heck, how many jobs are really "won" in preseason with the number of one-way contracts and the salary cap system tying the hands of coaches and GMs? The kids are in school by September, let’s get the season going already.

2. Cancel All-Star Weekend. Well, you know how I’ve felt about the All-Star Game for a long time. But the three-to-four days that the NHL pauses for this meaningless and boring event could be better used to help spread out the regular-season games. Why waste those days on an event few people care about?

3. Shorten the second round of the playoffs to a best-of-five series. The first round of the playoffs is the most compelling of the postseason. The conference finals and Cup finals are the most important. I say squeeze the second round so we get from eight teams to four teams a little quicker. Just another little wrinkle to help ease the physical and mental burden on our eventual Cup finalists.

4. Go to a 2-3-2 series format in any playoff series in which teams travel more than one time zone. Or any flight longer than two-and-a-half hours. I’ll always remember running into the great Nicklas Lidstrom on the eve of Game 7 in San Jose last season, the Red Wings having just flown in that day from Detroit, the two teams crisscrossing the continent during a seven-game series. His face that day said it all. All that traveling is taxing on the players even on a charter plane. The 2-3-2 format would reduce some of that traveling. It’s ridiculous that the Kings and Devils might cross the country three times over the final three games of the series if New Jersey pushes it to seven.

5. Reduce the regular season by four games. This one would never fly, because owners and players would stand to lose money. But it would make such an impact, physically and mentally, on the players. A 78-game season wouldn’t affect the record book all that much in terms of players chasing 50-goal seasons or any other statistical pursuit. But those four games off would lessen the regular-season schedule by seven to 10 days and allow the players just a bit more breathing room.
DeLevering since 1999.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

donlever wrote:Lebrun from ESPN.com:
I think he's way off...

The final sucks because the league and refs have allowed the hooking and holding to creep back into the game and consequently we have 2 teams who excel at playing that style.

All of the entertaining teams got burned by the style change and went out early this year.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..yeah, it also bugs me that he claims the Devils are tired when, after the Panther series (regardless it is still in their time zone), they didn't have to travel more than a couple of hundred miles to away games for two series in a row.

Boo-fukin-hoo.
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

What a knob gobbler.

I agree with you guys, the game sucks right now because of the way it's being called. When was the last time you recall an interference call on a dump in? Remember how many there were coming out of the lockout?

Shorten the second round to 5 games? I think we should shorten Pierre's bus.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

While I disagree with his reason why the final is not exciting, I do appreciate that he is progressive and looking for ways to make an exciting final.

There is no denying that fatigue and injury are always a factor come this time of year and one of the things most commendable about our current GM is the way he is addressing these issues.

I have no problem with an earlier start to the season or abandoning the All Star and knocking back to a 78 game sched to spread games out more. Nor do I have a problem with a 5 game second round. Hell, a 5 game first round suites me fine as well and I think it would lessen the chance of up sets and give greater advantage to higher placed teams. They play an 82 game sched for a reason and lets make it count for something in playoff rankings.

While we are at it, lets look at reducing the playoffs to eight teams to further separate the wheat from the chaff. this would be more effective with the closer to balanced sched the NHLPA recently vetoed.

I do not like the 2-3-2 format as I believe it causes too much of a home ice advantage to the lessor team in the event of a split in the first two games while taking away some of the home ice advantage the top team enjoys. This again links back to the 82 game sched.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Yeah he's way off base on why it is unwatchable but he has some good ideas. As I said in my post the problem is what Sutter said "you can interfere as long as you keep your feet moving". So basically as long as you don't water ski behind the guy you're fine. Don't have position? Fine. Just reach that hand out while taking a stride or two. You still don't have position but the attack is thwarted and no penalty is called.

I remember people many years ago talking about the crack down and saying it would be a slippery slope back to clutch to grab if they ever let up. It took 4 or 5 years to really clean up the game and let skill shine through and around Game 7 of the eastern final last year it all went out the window (and no i don't believe that was the main reason the canucks lost...calling it tight would have still resulted in a canuck loss in all likelihood). This year it has spiralled back down to unwatchable hockey.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper wrote: I have no problem with an earlier start to the season or abandoning the All Star and knocking back to a 78 game sched to spread games out more. Nor do I have a problem with a 5 game second round. Hell, a 5 game first round suites me fine as well and I think it would lessen the chance of up sets and give greater advantage to higher placed teams. They play an 82 game sched for a reason and lets make it count for something in playoff rankings.
An earlier start would be fine, and the NHL should start earlier. Every other league seems to. A slightly shorter schedule, fine. The All-Star game is not something that would be missed either as far as I'm concerned.

But you can't have a 7 game first round, then a 5 game second round and then revert back to a 7 game third round. Which is what Pierre seems to be suggesting.

I'd be fine with a 5 game first round, possibly even into the second round. But to go back and forth would be Mickey Mouse.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Aaronp18 wrote:But you can't have a 7 game first round, then a 5 game second round and then revert back to a 7 game third round. Which is what Pierre seems to be suggesting.

I'd be fine with a 5 game first round, possibly even into the second round. But to go back and forth would be Mickey Mouse.
Are you too young to remember best of three and best of five opening rounds?

I admit going 7-5-7-7 games per round is odd, I don't have a problem with it, though I'd prefer 5-5-7-7.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

http://www.tmz.com/2012/06/07/charlie-s ... ings-rant/

Charlie Sheen goes nuts after not being allowed back in the Staples Center after a smoke break.

"Blow my balls bitch!"

Fuckin LA fans....
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...possibly thought he was missing his call for the next scene in Mighty Ducks 12.

Also forgot it was his brothers role.
DeLevering since 1999.