Off-Season Trade Thread - Needs/Wants

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Off-Season Trade Thread - Needs/Wants

Post by wafflecombine »

The schneider trade scenarios are interesting but I just don't know how we keep Lou after everything that has gone on.

Lou stays and the questions I have are:
"Does the team buck up and play or do they continue the awesome porus defense and <2gpg stats"
"Will the fans loose their minds cause Cory is gone and really make things miserable for Lou - imagine a Patrick Roy style meltdown where he just walks off and says bite me"
"Coming back does Lou even care. Management spoke and said he isn't our #1. Does he play mechanically and without heart and sorta pull a Thomas?"

As good a return for Cory as we'd get, I think trading Lou, despite the fact I really like him, is the more prudent course. Lou will get us good stuff that with a little razzle dazzle, can get us what we need to fill our perennial holes.

I would honestly be really worried about the locker room if Lou stays - and I'm a Lou fan (and a Cory fan).
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: I don't want any part of Nash's contract, and we couldn't afford him if we don't move Lou.
Well the cap is apparently going up.

And if not, like I say, we package up Booth with Schneids.

Then we dump a contract or two like Ballard, Raymond, Manny.

I'd rather have a slightly overpaid Nash than any of those contracts.

Canucks can easily afford Nash's salary and they need a player like Nash.

There are reasons he earns as much as he does.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

wafflecombine wrote: The schneider trade scenarios are interesting but I just don't know how we keep Lou after everything that has gone on.
Most of what has gone on is media speculation.
wafflecombine wrote: Lou stays and the questions I have are:
"Does the team buck up and play or do they continue the awesome porus defense and <2gpg stats"
I don't see how Lou staying/not-staying affects dat dere.
wafflecombine wrote: "Will the fans loose their minds cause Cory is gone and really make things miserable for Lou - imagine a Patrick Roy style meltdown where he just walks off and says bite me"
That... seems... very... unrealistic. :look:
wafflecombine wrote: "Coming back does Lou even care.
Why ON EARTH would you suggest such a thing?
wafflecombine wrote: Management spoke and said he isn't our #1.
Umm WHAT?
wafflecombine wrote: Does he play mechanically and without heart and sorta pull a Thomas?"
WC, you're losing your mind buds. Image
wafflecombine wrote: I would honestly be really worried about the locker room if Lou stays - and I'm a Lou fan (and a Cory fan).
You're not making any sense, it seems like you believe the bogus Kypreos rumour that Lou demanded a trade. :crazy:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

TDA Rum wrote: I like the sign Schultz idea, but for me Schneider is worth Nash plus all by himself...
Maybe, but the deal would have to be expanded to send some salary back to Columbus (I include Booth).
TDA Rum wrote: Like i have said before Nash has only had 1 season over 70 points, he isn't worth 7.8 million....
Rick Nash has 289 goals in 674 games (on a crappy team) and plays a physical brand of hockey.

He is worth very close to $7.8mil.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Grigorenko would be a great addition to our top-6. The Russian factor is obviously there, but premiere players like Ovechkin, Malkin, and Kovalchuk haven't bolted to Russia. I think you'd have a guy that could play C and RW and could do so immidately in our top six with Kesler being out and Raymond being trade/UFA bait. He's 6'3, 200 and could probably get Kesler back to 40-goal status and be the playmaker on the second line. There's always Ryan Murray if we go for the d-side...

I don't want any part of Nash's contract, and we couldn't afford him if we don't move Lou.

That said, I don't really buy the rumour. If Columbus offers us 2nd Overall, Gillis should've signed off on it weeks ago.
I'm staying away from Grigorenko if I'm picking in the top 5. I've read where a lot of scouts aren't quite sure and sold on the guy, some think there is a Chad Kilger like bust potential (very similar players at the Junior Level, apparently) with Grigorenko which is why you see him bouncing all over the place from one ranking to another ranking. To me, that sets off enough warning bells to stay away from him if I'm picking in the top 5. If I'm wanting a forward, I'd be taking Forsberg or Teravainen before Grigorenko and maybe even Galenchuk but his potential like Grigorenko's is a bit of a mystery as well. Either way, I'm picking a lot of hockey players ahead of Grigorenko.

I'm not too hip to getting just a high draft pick in return for Schneider with this draft class. Outside of Yak it's one of the biggest crap shoot drafts in the top end that we haven't seen in a while. I'd much rather have Ryan Johansen than the BJ's 2nd overall. A local kid who is less a mystery, more a sure thing and can play NOW. He's big, skilled and is Vancouver kid.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

@MacNasty2point1
@TSNBobMcKenzie who do you think the canucks will go after in free agency? If anyone.
Expand
‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
They will make a strong play for Justin Schultz.
Mckenzie thinks the Canucks will go hard after Justin Schultz, this is a MG move too.
Talent Analysis
Justin Schultz has been one of the finest rearguards in the nation two seasons running. He has a complete offensive game, capable of igniting plays from his own zone, carrying the puck through the neutral zone and making confident, creative plays in the offensive zone. He has shown a strong commitment to improving his defensive game and strength, although he will never be a physical force.
Future
Schultz faces all the challenges a thinner defenseman faces trying to make the leap to the NHL, as well as an adjustment to the 82-game schedule. Nonetheless, he possesses such a comprehensive skill set and sound work ethic that it hardly seems like a reach to project him as a top-four defenseman.
Seems like a better version of Ehrhoff, never seen him play though.
No, Schultz won’t be making any more than the maximum salary allotted to rookies, nor will he receive any higher salary than any good prospect. He will, however, control his destiny.

Back on May 25th, the 21-year-old prospect filed his paperwork to leave the University of Wisconsin, and Schultz should be one of the more intriguing names this postseason. The Anaheim Ducks, an afterthought as the club that selected Schultz 43rd overall in 2008, hold his exclusive negotiating rights until June 24th. But we know how this story goes: Schultz is a top prospect, a can’t-miss puck-mover capable of stepping right into an NHL lineup, and all the pucks are in his corner.

He earned important minutes during his freshman year at Wisconsin, a tough task considering it already bolstered current NHLers like Ryan McDonagh, Jake Gardiner and Brendan Smith. The competition was fierce, but Schultz improved every season of his NCAA career, earning accolades like WCHA Defensive Player of the Year, and the prestigious WCHA and NCAA West First All-Star teams.

Again, Schultz is a can’t-miss prospect. One that all 30 teams are sure to woo in an attempt to make him a cornerstone of their blue line. He’s a right-handed shot who plays a solid two-way game, combining the smarts of college hockey and good ol’ know how as a Canadian native. In short, he’s on every team’s wishlist.
https://thehockeywriters.com/overtime/j ... n-destiny/
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I'm actually with RD on this one, I take Ryan Johansen and his two more years of development over #2 overall. I doubt Colunbus trades either though.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

dbr wrote:I'm actually with RD on this one, I take Ryan Johansen and his two more years of development over #2 overall. I doubt Colunbus trades either though.
Don't hitch your wagon to the spandex wearing tranny loving east ender dbr.

Once upon a time he told anyone who would listen Milan Gajic was going to be a star in the NHL. He all but guaranteed it.

:lol: :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

:lol:

Fortunately we just happen to share the same opinion, I'd pull for Johansen because he's a big kid with a versatile game and huge potential, he's in the league now and he's at that age where players start to break out.. Not because RD says he's the best player to come out of the Lower Mainland since Gajic. :P
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

lol @ people on hf choosing Benn a winger over Kesler who had a injury filled season - a dynamic center who is a game changer in the playoffs, a Selke trophy winner whom when healthy is hands down the fucking man when the chips are down.
Our center depth is atrocious as it is!! why add more wingers? It's like having Bure/Mogilny ferrari tires with no engine!

(got bit by a fucking mosquito, which woke me up, hence my early morning post lol, *update killed that mosquito)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote:lol @ people on hf choosing Benn a winger over Kesler who had a injury filled season - a dynamic center who is a game changer in the playoffs, a Selke trophy winner whom when healthy is hands down the fucking man when the chips are down.
Our center depth is atrocious as it is!! why add more wingers? It's like having Bure/Mogilny ferrari tires with no engine!

(got bit by a fucking mosquito, which woke me up, hence my early morning post lol, *update killed that mosquito)
I've actually wanted Jamie Benn for a while now. Kid's a star, a good Canadian boy (as Don would say), beat the piss out of Jarome Iginla, plays the game hard and has nice hands. He can also play Centre, but more suited to the wing. Local (Central Saanich, BC) kid, I played with his older brother Jordie. Good family. Rumour has it he's turned down JVR money, so his contract is likely in the 4.5-5.5 range. Anyways, I highly doubt Dallas trades him, he's their next Captain.

Would pretty much give up anyone not named Sedin or Kesler for him though...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'd give up anything to get Benn in a Canuck uni, the kid is a damn good hockey player.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Obviously homeboy Benn literally is wanted, but he IS NOT available, especially after they traded away James Neal.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Count me as someone who would trade Ryan Kesler for Jamie Benn in a heartbeat.

Kid is five years younger, has mad skills and is as tough as a two dollar steak.

Of course it would leave a gaping hole in the middle but that's MG's job to figure out. Put together a package for Jordan Staal. :)
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Count me as someone who would trade Ryan Kesler for Jamie Benn in a heartbeat.

Kid is five years younger, has mad skills and is as tough as a two dollar steak.

Of course it would leave a gaping hole in the middle but that's MG's job to figure out. Put together a package for Jordan Staal. :)
Same here BlobCat. In a heartbeat.