Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby RoyalDude » Thu May 31, 2012 2:51 pm

dbr wrote:
Depends whether you want to give the 2004 year to Nonis, I'm not sure whether Burkie served out his contract that year but that would have covered the majority of prep for that draft (which netted the Canucks Schneider, Edler, Mike Brown and Hansen).



LMAO! OK, like what-eva. Wasn't Nonis, Burkes right hand man in the Burke era of Canuck GM'ing, 2nd in Command, No. 2. Lets call it a saw off, that being said. All things had to go through Nonis, he's the one that makes the final call like he did that day up on the podium. Nice twisting into Gillis favor, the bottom line, Nonis was the GM at the draft table that day, and when Burke was GM of the team for that season before getting fired, Nonis was top dog no. 2. Pretty much Burkes 2nd pair of eyes like he is now. Burkes scouting staff was Nonis scouting staff.

If you want to argue like that then, minus the players from the Canucks now that Nonis and Burke brought in. But I know what the response will be, "But, But, But, Gillis had to re-sign them!" Like that was difficult. Were the Sedins really going anywhere else??? Um, no.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 3803
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby dbr » Thu May 31, 2012 3:05 pm

RoyalDude wrote:LMAO! OK, like what-eva. Wasn't Nonis, Burkes right hand man in the Burke era of Canuck GM'ing, 2nd in Command, No. 2. Lets call it a saw off, that being said. All things had to go through Nonis, he's the one that makes the final call like he did that day up on the podium. Nice twisting into Gillis favor, the bottom line, Nonis was the GM at the draft table that day, and when Burke was GM of the team for that season before getting fired, Nonis was top dog no. 2. Pretty much Burkes 2nd pair of eyes like he is now. Burkes scouting staff was Nonis scouting staff.


Hey fair enough, like I said I didn't know (and a quick search didn't reveal when Burke was relieved of his duties).

So Nonis has one great draft, one decent draft, one medicre draft and one of the worst drafts ever.

We'll start to know what Gillis has within a few years. Until then criticizing him on it is, like I said, preposterous.

If you want to argue like that then, minus the players from the Canucks now that Nonis and Burke brought in.


Isn't that what you've been doing this whole time? :lol:
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2274
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby ESQ » Thu May 31, 2012 3:34 pm

RoyalDude wrote:If you want to argue like that then, minus the players from the Canucks now that Nonis and Burke brought in. But I know what the response will be, "But, But, But, Gillis had to re-sign them!" Like that was difficult. Were the Sedins really going anywhere else??? Um, no.

I don't follow this - we don't give credit to Gillis for keeping the good players he inherited, but we give Nonis credit for keeping the players he inherited?
Well okay, you say the core hadn't developed yet by the time Nonis was shown the door. Seems to me like the core flipped a switch immediately after Nonis was fired - look at how many players had career years after Nonis left. Maybe you're right, it was just coincidental dumb luck for Gillis.

The top 6 in 07/08 was Sedins, Pyatt, Naslund, Morrison, and Raymond/Cooke/Shannon/Cowan/Isbister. The top 6 in 08/09 was Sedins, Sundin, Kesler, Demitra, Wellwood/Bernier. Obviously there was personal development by Sedins and Kesler, but I think you'd be daft to say the players surrounding them didn't have an impact.
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby Island Nucklehead » Thu May 31, 2012 4:42 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Leves, don't tell me that you are one of those cats, ie "My Country Right or Wrong" in that you stand by your GM and players until they have been traded or fired and only then that is when you will officially let loose the hounds slagging them til the cows come home? Sort of like, how everyone turned on Hodgson when he was traded but when he was here, he was the next coming of Trevor Linden. I just find this kind of fan psychology kind of fascinating. Has there been a study done on this? Will it take having David Booth traded for the likes of you to finally feel at peace in criticizing him? Is it hard to criticize a Canuck Player or the GM manning the helm of your Vancouver Canucks in that GM's cannot and should not get slagged until the day they are handed their pink slips?

I find it fascinating how easily led the Canuck fans are by those wearing Canuck Uni's and those in Managerial positions. I mean, they could bitch slap the faces of most fans around here with their sloppy dicks and the fans would still be wearing Kaleidoscope eyes during, in awe of the fact that they are getting bitch slapped by their dicks.


In your case RD, it seems the opposite. Hate the player while they play for the Canucks, love them before they show up (Booth) and when they leave (Hodgson)...
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 3496
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby RoyalDude » Thu May 31, 2012 5:07 pm

ESQ wrote:Well okay, you say the core hadn't developed yet by the time Nonis was shown the door. Seems to me like the core flipped a switch immediately after Nonis was fired - look at how many players had career years after Nonis left. Maybe you're right, it was just coincidental dumb luck for Gillis.



LMFAO! You guys are too much. Selective Ignorance, I guess. I mean, hell, Kesler was drafted in the summer of 2003, Nonis took over in the summer of 2004 and then fired in the summer of 2007. How old was Kesler when Nonis was fired? Was he a cagey veteran like he is now? I mean, I guess you are right ESQ, guys like Burrows and Kesler were held back in their development not because of being,um, like inexperienced kids freshly out of teenagerville but because Dave Nonis was the general manager and sucked. Shit, did not know that Gillis has the canning ability to turn boys into men. Just curious, why haven't any of his kids (Draft Picks) turned into men yet, as he enters his 5th draft in a few weeks???? It seems to me that Nonis picks in his short 3 years as GM of your Vancouver Canucks, Edler, Raymond, Mike Brown, Hansen, Grabner for some reason made the grade much quicker than Gillis picks. Something is awry here. Ya just think, that maybe Nonis has a better eye for talent? But nevermind that, when the fuck is Gillis gonna pull off Luongo-steal-like-trade that Nonis pulled off, once and for all solving our goaltending woes? I do find it funny that the two most important players in our new Exciting Shut Down style of game that Gillis has instilled are Schneider and Luongo, both Nonis pick ups.

It's sad that we never got to see what kind of player Luc Bourdon was gonna be. A Nonis pick. I would have bet pretty damn good with the way he was playing at the end of the season before his passing. Again, how old was Bourdon when he made the team near the end of his final season?

I don't know, I'm just baffled as to why we have not seen one draft pick other than Hodgson make the grade in Gillis 5 years as GM to your Vancouver Canucks. Again, it's fucking hilarious that he trades his only successful draft pick to date for a minor league project? Talk about one step forward to steps backwards.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 3803
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby Farhan Lalji » Thu May 31, 2012 6:20 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
ESQ wrote:Well okay, you say the core hadn't developed yet by the time Nonis was shown the door. Seems to me like the core flipped a switch immediately after Nonis was fired - look at how many players had career years after Nonis left. Maybe you're right, it was just coincidental dumb luck for Gillis.



LMFAO! You guys are too much. Selective Ignorance, I guess. I mean, hell, Kesler was drafted in the summer of 2003, Nonis took over in the summer of 2004 and then fired in the summer of 2007. How old was Kesler when Nonis was fired? Was he a cagey veteran like he is now? I mean, I guess you are right ESQ, guys like Burrows and Kesler were held back in their development not because of being,um, like inexperienced kids freshly out of teenagerville but because Dave Nonis was the general manager and sucked. Shit, did not know that Gillis has the canning ability to turn boys into men. Just curious, why haven't any of his kids (Draft Picks) turned into men yet, as he enters his 5th draft in a few weeks???? It seems to me that Nonis picks in his short 3 years as GM of your Vancouver Canucks, Edler, Raymond, Mike Brown, Hansen, Grabner for some reason made the grade much quicker than Gillis picks. Something is awry here. Ya just think, that maybe Nonis has a better eye for talent? But nevermind that, when the fuck is Gillis gonna pull off Luongo-steal-like-trade that Nonis pulled off, once and for all solving our goaltending woes?


Completely agree with everything you just said Royaldude..........expect for that last sentence. The Luongo deal fell right into Nonis' lap, thanks to Keenan's desire to trade Luongo to the most Geographically inconvenient location possible.

Aside from that though, I do agree with you that Nonis has a better eye for talent. However, in terms of signing players to reasonable contracts, along with keeping a better long term perpsective, Gillis has Nonis beat hands down. Different GM's. Different strengths and weaknesses.





I do find it funny that the two most important players in our new Exciting Shut Down style of game that Gillis has instilled are Schneider and Luongo, both Nonis pick ups.

It's sad that we never got to see what kind of player Luc Bourdon was gonna be. A Nonis pick. I would have bet pretty damn good with the way he was playing at the end of the season before his passing. Again, how old was Bourdon when he made the team near the end of his final season?

I don't know, I'm just baffled as to why we have not seen one draft pick other than Hodgson make the grade in Gillis 5 years as GM to your Vancouver Canucks. Again, it's fucking hilarious that he trades his only successful draft pick to date for a minor league project? Talk about one step forward to steps backwards.


Totally agree. Hopefully, Kassian and Gragnani take significant steps for this coming year.
Farhan Lalji
 

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby old calamari » Thu May 31, 2012 6:31 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:although for the life of me, I do NOT understand Gillis' logic in making that Hodgson deal at the deadline this past year. Even if Hodgson's dad was a head case and Hodgson needed to be move, why on earth would one trade him for a "work in progress" like Zack Kassian?



Brilliant trade eh. Trading Hodgson for a player who was parked in the minors that has baggage. LOL! Wow.[/quote ]Talk about baggage how about the great Hodgson a player who lets daddy, agent, Roberts do his dirty work for him. Come back in 3 years and talk about this trade before you try to run your fukin smack. Malcontents need to be killed before they spread cancer in a team.
old calamari
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:11 pm

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby Farhan Lalji » Thu May 31, 2012 6:35 pm

Potatoe1 wrote:
That team was crap.

Terrible depth up front, flanked by an aging and slow group of defenseman.

The only reason we got 105 points the year before was because Luongo had an MVP season and carried our asses. As soon as Lu's play slid the team totally fell apart.


Agree and disagree. I agree that Luongo was absolutely brilliant that year (he was Tim Thomas like in the way he owned Dallas in the playoffs that year), but the team in front of Lou was very positionally sound. Vigneault knew the limitations of his team that year and really implemented a sound defensive system. The players bought in and their positional play was superb. Their positional play is what helped Lou as well.

In 2007/08 however - injuries on 'D' prevented us from playing that system consistently and effectively.

Just look at our roster that year 6 or 7 of the guys who played significant minutes for us were out of the league the next year.


Good point. I agree that a lot of those players on our team were utter crap, but I think that just goes to show how good our overall system was.


If you're going to ship Hodgson out, why not get a player that will make an immediate impact? Stanley Cup contending teams should be adding pieces that can help them now.........not "work in progress.'"


You can't look at specific moves on their own, you have to look at the over all picture.

The over all picture is 4 division titles, 2 presidents trophy's, and 6 playoff series wins in 4 years. That is an absolutely fantastic record. [/quote]

No argument from me there. I absolutely love Gillis as a GM for the most part, and think he is the best GM in the league along with Ken Holland. His ability to sign players at excellent contracts is off the charts (something that Royaldude tends to overlook for some reason). Although I think Gillis overdoes it (i.e. Hodgson deal), I think Gillis' ability to keep a long term approach to ensure that this team is competitive in both the short term and long term is also tremendous.

As far as the Hodgson trade, who could we have brought in that would have gotten us by LA this year? In retrospect it's kind of a good thing we moved him for a young asset because it's quite clear this was not the year to go "all in".
And it has been just about our core players, this team has had excellent depth at almost every position over the past 4 years.


Good point, but here's my perspective:

Out of all the teams LA has beaten in the playoffs this year, the Canucks gave LA the biggest challenge. Aside from Game 2 where the Kings spanked us, I think any one of those games could have gone either way.

Lets say the Canucks had started Schneider from Game 1..........and also had *ImmediateImpactPlayer* in the line-up. Is it really farfetched to say that the Canucks could have won all of those games outside of Game 2?

Given how St. Louis and Phoenix both fared worse than us (i.e. Phoenix may have also lost in 5, but LA's dominance in those 5 games was far more evident), is it farfetched to assume that we would have also have beaten Phoenix (our 2nd round opponent if we'd won) and St. Louis?

Don't get me wrong..........I love Gillis..........but I just don't understand the Hodgson deal at all. I really don't.

Hopefully, Kassian takes a significant step for this coming year. Gragnani as well.
Farhan Lalji
 

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby Farhan Lalji » Thu May 31, 2012 6:38 pm

old calamari wrote:Talk about baggage how about the great Hodgson a player who lets daddy, agent, Roberts do his dirty work for him. Come back in 3 years and talk about this trade before you try to run your fukin smack. Malcontents need to be killed before they spread cancer in a team.


No argument from me there at all but let me ask you this:

Why trade Hodgson for a "work in progress".........when your team, in its current "window" is a cup contending team...........for a player that "might" pan out in 18-24 months?

If Hodgson is a lockerroom cancer? Fine - get rid of the guy. Just don't trade him for a work-in-progress. Package him off with a 1st rounder and get a significant top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman.
Farhan Lalji
 

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby Island Nucklehead » Thu May 31, 2012 7:22 pm

Farhan Lalji wrote:
old calamari wrote:Talk about baggage how about the great Hodgson a player who lets daddy, agent, Roberts do his dirty work for him. Come back in 3 years and talk about this trade before you try to run your fukin smack. Malcontents need to be killed before they spread cancer in a team.


No argument from me there at all but let me ask you this:

Why trade Hodgson for a "work in progress".........when your team, in its current "window" is a cup contending team...........for a player that "might" pan out in 18-24 months?

If Hodgson is a lockerroom cancer? Fine - get rid of the guy. Just don't trade him for a work-in-progress. Package him off with a 1st rounder and get a significant top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman.


Well rumour was the Stars wanted Hodgson for Ott. Is that the kind of trade we're looking at? A potential top-6 Centre for an 11-goal, soon to be 30 year old making 2.9M? No thanks...

Kassian could be a meaner (and hopefully more motivated) version of Dustin Penner. A huge body with some skill, but also mean and wants to hurt people (legally of course :drink: ). A guy that can give you 20-30 (maybe) goals per season, and 150 PIMS while he's at it. That's the kind of player Kassian could turn into. Remember, Hodgson wasn't by any means a finished product, he was very much a "work in progress".

Basically, Gillis traded his future for another teams future. It was a hockey trade. Those short-sighted folk will scream that we didn't improve imidiately, but that's not looking after the future of the Franchise. Hodgson wasn't happy playing behind Kesler and Sedin long-term, and nobody can blame him because there was no way he'd supplant those guys. So, Gillis moved him for an asset the organization lacks. A big, mean, young, hard-nosed winger with potential.

Like some have said when the deal was made, this is a deal that can't be judged for at least a couple years. Hodgson wasn't going to win us a playoff series, and nor was Kassian. Personally, I figure a guy like Kassian will have more of an impact in the playoffs and is exactly the kind of player the Canucks have lacked for years. Bernier and Pyatt were big men with soft hearts. Kassian is a big man that wants to eat hearts...
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 3496
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby Meds » Thu May 31, 2012 8:46 pm

Potatoe1 wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:1) That 2007/2008 team was decimated with injuries to the blue line that year. Granted - the team wasn't all that great but they were definitely better than their standings. They would have been a playoff team had they been healthy. This core, in the previous year, garnered 105 points in the regular season.


That team was crap.

Terrible depth up front, flanked by an aging and slow group of defenseman.

The only reason we got 105 points the year before was because Luongo had an MVP season and carried our asses. As soon as Lu's play slid the team totally fell apart.

Just look at our roster that year 6 or 7 of the guys who played significant minutes for us were out of the league the next year.


Yup. I think the average age of the team dropped by about 5 years by the start of the next season.

Vancouver wasn't alone though, those first 3 years after the lockout saw a heavy learning curve for a lot of franchises. The dead-puck era guys who were worth so much to their respective teams prior to 2005-06 were suddenly liabilities that needed to have their TOI rolled back in big ways.

Ohlund and Salo lead the blueline in production and they played 53 and 63 games respectively. Injuries did play a significant role, but when you look at the forward group we were goind with it is no surprise that a beat up back-end killed the season. That year was a real transition time for the Canucks, many of our core guys now were there, but they were just stepping into their own and not quite ready to take on the roles they currently have.
User avatar
Meds
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2755
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby Farhan Lalji » Thu May 31, 2012 10:52 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:
old calamari wrote:Talk about baggage how about the great Hodgson a player who lets daddy, agent, Roberts do his dirty work for him. Come back in 3 years and talk about this trade before you try to run your fukin smack. Malcontents need to be killed before they spread cancer in a team.


No argument from me there at all but let me ask you this:

Why trade Hodgson for a "work in progress".........when your team, in its current "window" is a cup contending team...........for a player that "might" pan out in 18-24 months?

If Hodgson is a lockerroom cancer? Fine - get rid of the guy. Just don't trade him for a work-in-progress. Package him off with a 1st rounder and get a significant top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman.


Well rumour was the Stars wanted Hodgson for Ott. Is that the kind of trade we're looking at? A potential top-6 Centre for an 11-goal, soon to be 30 year old making 2.9M? No thanks...

Kassian could be a meaner (and hopefully more motivated) version of Dustin Penner. A huge body with some skill, but also mean and wants to hurt people (legally of course :drink: ). A guy that can give you 20-30 (maybe) goals per season, and 150 PIMS while he's at it. That's the kind of player Kassian could turn into. Remember, Hodgson wasn't by any means a finished product, he was very much a "work in progress".

Basically, Gillis traded his future for another teams future. It was a hockey trade. Those short-sighted folk will scream that we didn't improve imidiately, but that's not looking after the future of the Franchise. Hodgson wasn't happy playing behind Kesler and Sedin long-term, and nobody can blame him because there was no way he'd supplant those guys. So, Gillis moved him for an asset the organization lacks. A big, mean, young, hard-nosed winger with potential.

Like some have said when the deal was made, this is a deal that can't be judged for at least a couple years. Hodgson wasn't going to win us a playoff series, and nor was Kassian. Personally, I figure a guy like Kassian will have more of an impact in the playoffs and is exactly the kind of player the Canucks have lacked for years. Bernier and Pyatt were big men with soft hearts. Kassian is a big man that wants to eat hearts...


Great post Island Knucklehead and I'm glad you responded. I especially like that last line of yours there, lol. :P :devil:

I like your viewpoint on the Hodgson deal, but why not make that deal in the off-season? Was Hodgson really THAT much of a lockerroom distraction? I don't think so.

I agree with your rationale that this deal was a "future potential" for another team's "future potential" (with both players perhaps being in a more appropriate fit in a different location), but let's face it. Hodgson WAS a lot further along the developmental curve than Kassian.

I know a lot of people say that Hodgson wouldn't have been a difference maker in the playoffs, but I disagree. Why? Three words: The Boston game.

January 7th, 2012: In the biggest regular season in the history of our franchise, the Vancouver Canucks defeated the Boston Bruins 4-3. Both teams tried to 'downplay the significance' of the game, but everyone knows that this was the invisible game 8 of the Stanley Cup finals. And for those that don't believe me? Consider this: Both Boston and Vancouver never recovered emotionally after that game.......but I digress,

Anyway - guess who stepped up and scored TWO goals in that game. Cody Hodgson. The Power play goal to make it 2-2, and then the absolute LASER of a shot that blew past Thomas.......prompting Thomas to take an extra glance to see who in god's name shot that puck.

Hodgson didn't score frequently..........but he scored on regular occasion.............and when he DID score on those occassions, they seemed to be at the most opportune moments. Hodgson scored a couple of key goals in our games against Chicago as well if I recall correctly.

The bottom line? Hodgson may have been having off-ice issues, but the guy was a 'spark plug' on the ice in important games. Hodgson was the type of guy that could dominate on the 3rd line in the clutch moments. Hodgson was the type of guy that could score that key goal on the 2nd PP unit. Hodgson was THE type of guy that could have scored once or twice against LA (against LA's 3rd or 4th lines........lines that wouldn't have Richards, Carter, Brown, Doughty, Kopitar, etc.) and made a difference.

Is it any coincidence that after the trade deadline, the Canucks basically became a glorified version of their 2006/2007 selves? (i.e. a team that could shut down opponents effectively but couldn't score on a consistent basis).

And yes - I realize that the Canucks had been slumping offensively well before the deadline, but I honestly don't think it would have continued had Hodgson been there to provide a 'spark' on that 3rd line (which in turn, would have taken far more pressure off the twins).

If Hodgson needed to be dealt? Fine. Do it. Just do it in the off-season. The Kassian trade may have been the perfect trade to pull off for Vancouver.........but given where both teams were..........and given where both players were in their development.........I cannot fathom why this deal was made in late February as opposed to early July.

p.s.____________While I'm a rant here, I also think that the Canucks owe Luongo an apology. There's no way he should have been embarrassed by the team like that in the playoffs.......for what was essentially no fault of his. This team, on an emotional level, became Schneider's team on January 7th 2012. Schneider should have become the #1 goalie at that time. I just think it was idiotic for the coach to not recognize that.
Farhan Lalji
 

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby Meds » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:00 am

Farhan Lalji wrote:p.s.____________While I'm a rant here, I also think that the Canucks owe Luongo an apology. There's no way he should have been embarrassed by the team like that in the playoffs.......for what was essentially no fault of his. This team, on an emotional level, became Schneider's team on January 7th 2012. Schneider should have become the #1 goalie at that time. I just think it was idiotic for the coach to not recognize that.


That's pretty much a given. You go in 3 times and get absolutely embarassed and your goaltender is MIA in all 3 games. Come back 7 months later and the "backup" goalie puts on an absolute clinic and you walk away with a win.....I think every single player in that dressing room (that was on the team in June 2011), and every coach, and every manager, hell, everyone in the league, all of them are wondering what might have been if Vigneault had given Schneider game 4 or 6 after Luongo had completely imploded in game 3 and/or 4.

I'm think Schneider doesn't let in 3 quick goals to start a 2nd period and the team hangs around and we see something like games 1, 2, and 5.

Oh yeah, and while we're at it.....Henrik TOTALLY connects on that puck and beats Thomas for the opening goal in game 6 if Schnedier is in net. No question. :lol:
User avatar
Meds
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2755
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby LotusBlossom » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:32 am

ODB wrote:I want Luongo to stay and wanted AV to be fired... Can’t always get what you want!

Gillis, I'm happy he was re-signed. I think he's made mistakes but he's definitely earned the opportunity to finish what he's started.

His decision to keep AV on board has shaken my confidence butt, I'm still prepared to back GMMG... for now. Things could change if he fucks up the Lou trade, draft and July 1st. His 2012 off season has to be much better than 2011!


Pretty much sums up how many feel in Vancouver that I have talked to and much of that I agree with personally.

I am more ok with AV staying this past season than ever before. Why? Who are we going to replace the guy with? All the coaches we feel would improve our team are now taken. I don't see Brent Sutter being that type of guy that could come into camp and make a positive impact.

Like you, I like Luongo. I think there are too many out there that tend to forget all he's done as a Canuck that is positive. Only remember the bad. Unfortunately for him, when he was bad, his team wasn't much help bailing him out with their lack of scoring in key situations.

I felt Gillis has earned his right to see what he can do with the Canucks. Finish what he started, indeed... as you have stated, I'd like to see him make better off-season decisions than he has made.

As for Ballard? I wish people would get off his ass about his 'bad play'. This is a team with pretty good depth on the blue line, however, for 4.2 million a year, he's overpaid for his role on this team. That's a lot of top 6 forward money it could have gone towards. Hindsight is 20/20.

Heard rumours from a media friend in Nashville, that Garrison is UFA 33 pts for FLA this past season wants to make the blue line here. He's 10 years younger than Sami, and for the money they are willing to dish to Salo..if we really need another guy there, he's a guy I would like to pick up.
Didn't you know?I'm Front Page news! ;)
User avatar
LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 2448
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:53 pm
Location: Metro Vancouver

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Postby LotusBlossom » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:39 am

Farhan Lalji wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:Mats Sundin.


When comparing the Messier signing in Vancouver to the Sundin signing here, I really don't know which one was more of the failed expensive experiment. Pretty much flip a coing. Both were just mailing it in, collecting fat checks before riding off to the sunset. Hats off to them, I'm sure their bank accounts are for the better because of it. Let's just hope that Gillis has been singing the song "We Don't Get Fooled Again" Since then.


I will say one thing about Sundin.

I was happy that he played for us and think that he brought a lot more to the table than he got credit.

The guy helped Kesler, and was also starting to find his game again down the stretch. In the playoffs that year, he was a PPG player if I recall correctly.

For a 38 year old to come in and help ANYONE half-season in, is a tough task. Given his situation, I think Sundin played fairly well.


Too bad Mats didn't play earlier that year, just as the stretch was going...so was his skill set (in a good way). Sundin would have been a difference maker had he played even a month earlier than he started with the team.

No way that was a bad signing IMO.

Agreed, Sundin didn't get the credit he deserved as a member of the Canucks.
Didn't you know?I'm Front Page news! ;)
User avatar
LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 2448
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:53 pm
Location: Metro Vancouver

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 5 guests