Home Construction Discussion

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Home Construction Discussion

Post by Vpete »

BladesofSteel wrote:Asbestos sticky tiles on the concrete I take it? Good times. I assume there is also asbestos tape on the ducting down there. Be careful with that when you replace the furnace.

How high is the ceiling? 7'?

So far so good pete.
I'm not sure if they were asbestos sticky tiles, never heard of those nor did my contractor think they were them. There were actually a bit like marmoleum tiles. No asbestos tape on ducting either as it was all radiator heat and pipes. Have to take a few old iron pipes out but nothing major. The furnace had been updated from those old big ugly ones from 1920. Still a few kicking around though in Winnipeg.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Vpete wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:Asbestos sticky tiles on the concrete I take it? Good times. I assume there is also asbestos tape on the ducting down there. Be careful with that when you replace the furnace.

So far so good pete.
I'm not sure if they were asbestos sticky tiles, never heard of those nor did my contractor think they were them. There were actually a bit like marmoleum tiles. No asbestos tape on ducting either as it was all radiator heat and pipes. Have to take a few old iron pipes out but nothing major. The furnace had been updated from those old big ugly ones from 1920. Still a few kicking around though in Winnipeg.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist VPete, but ya should have just taken a 1" chip of the tile and a sample of the drywall joint compound and a sample of the textured ceiling if you have it. It's actually cheap, Pacific Consulting on the North Shore tested ours for $35.00. Got results back within 5 days. I am Currently adding a legal basement suite to my house and in fact a Hazmat team started on it today, removing VAT (Vinyl Asbestos Tile) and Drywall in which it contained 1% Chrysotile Asbestos in the joint compound. Luckily none was found in the textured ceiling which is an expensive removal.

BTW, there are a shit load of fly by night hazmat removal companies out there, be careful when hiring. Actes Environmental and Quantum are two good companies.

Asbestos duct taping and textured/popcorn ceilings are considered the most dangerous since they are the most friable (becoming airborne by just touching it).

My wifes step dad died from Asbestos cancer to the lungs, it wasn't a pretty way to go. He was a plumber. Ever since seeing that I don't go anywhere near the shit, anymore. I've done plenty of reno's in my time and I know I have been exposed to the shit, I pretty much went swimming in Vermiculite insulation before word got out that some of it can contain asbestos. BTW, when buying an older house, the first thing you should look at is the attic for Vermiculite, lift up the bat insulation or dig through the Blown-In, cause most homeowners have it covered up. If ya find it, walk away from the home, having it removed is an expensive nightmare and it is the hardest of all asbestos to remove cause it's near impossible to remove all of it since the shit slides down wall cavities etc. I know all vermiculite doesn't contain it, but there is a good chance it's the Zonolite variety that was mined in Montana and installed in a lot of Vancouver homes back in the day.

You can pretty much be guaranteed to find it somewhere in any house built before 1980. Most likely the drywall joint compound cause pretty much every drywall mudder used it in the 70's. If your house was built in the 70's I'd bet my bottom dollar that you will have it in the drywall joint compound. That being said, it will most likely be Chrysotile Asbestos which is the least harmful of the all asbestos. One should still be careful, one cube of asbestos the size of a sugar cube if broken up would contaminate a building the size of BC Place.

It's unfortunate for people buying older houses with plans to renovate them, a common thing in the housing market. I kind of crossed our fingers knowing we wanted to do a reno. When I tore up the carpet in the basement I got sick to my stomach when I saw the tile and of course with my luck, it too turns out to be VAT. Couple that with the discovery of the drywall joint compound containing it as well. Our bill is going to cost us around $7,000. Because I live in the GVRD, we have to ship it to Calgary at $1.03 a square, the only place that takes it for the GVRD homes. We are having 1400 sq. feet of drywall removed and just a few areas of VAT. We have to cut into concrete slab for plumbing and two 3'x3'x10" concrete pads I have to form for point loading of a steel beam we are putting in place of a load bearing wall. We had to remove a ton of shit from our reno budget because of the HazMat costs. Personally, I think they should institute an new rule whereby thee seller of a house has to have the house inspected for Asbestos. When someone buys a house, the buyer can't cut out a sample of drywall and tear up old carpet to look for VAT as part of some sort of Subject To Inspection. In this market, Subjects put you out of the game. If there is an oil tank on the property the seller has to have it removed before selling, that is, if it is discovered.

I've heard from some people in Work Safe BC and Permit Officers that they are really gonna start clamping down on the renovation market over asbestos soon. The day is coming when you pull a permit, before construction begins, the house will have to go through a testing and if found the asbestos has to be removed by owner before construction begins. It will be the new leaky condo. Now, they just leave it up to the contractor and homeowner on the honorable system by handing you a blue flyer stuffed in with the permits and approved plans that gives you an outline on where you can find asbestos, in which most of them don't care cause it's usually the lowly labourer who is removing it. Just turn a blind eye. The homeowner and contractor only care about bottom line.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Wed May 30, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:
Vpete wrote:

So far so good pete.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist VPete, but ya should have just taken a 1" chip of the tile and a sample of the drywall joint compound and a sample of the textured ceiling if you have it. It's actually cheap, Pacific Consulting on the North Shore tested ours for $35.00. Got results back within 5 days. I am Currently adding a legal basement suite to my house and in fact a Hazmat team started on it today, removing VAT (Vinyl Asbestos Tile) and Drywall in which it contained 1% Chrysotile Asbestos in the joint compound. Luckily none was found in the textured ceiling which is an expensive removal.

BTW, there are a shit load of fly by night hazmat removal companies out there, be careful when hiring. Actes Environmental and Quantum are two good companies.

Asbestos duct taping and textured/popcorn ceilings are considered the most dangerous since they are the most friable (becoming airborne by just touching it).

My wifes step dad died from Asbestos cancer to the lungs, it wasn't a pretty way to go. He was a plumber. Ever since seeing that I don't go anywhere near the shit, anymore. I've done plenty of reno's in my time and I know I have been exposed to the shit, I pretty much went swimming in Vermiculite insulation before word got out that some of it can contain asbestos. BTW, when buying an older house, the first thing you should look at is the attic for Vermiculite, lift up the bat insulation or dig through the Blow-In, cause most homeowners have it covered up. If ya find it, walk away from the home, having it removed is an expensive nightmare and it is the hardest of all asbestos to remove cause it's near impossible to remove all of it since the shit slides down wall cavities etc. I know all vermiculite doesn't contain it, but there is a good chance it's the Zonolite variety that was mined in Montana and installed in a lot of Vancouver homes back in the day.

You can pretty much be guaranteed to find it somewhere in any house built before 1980. Most likely the drywall joint compound cause pretty much every drywall mudder used it in the 70's. If your house was built in the 70's I'd bet my bottom dollar that you will have it in the drywall joint compound. That being said, it will most likely be Chrysotile Asbestos which is the least harmful of the all asbestos. One should still be careful, one cube of asbestos the size of a sugar cube if broken up would contaminate a building the size of BC Place.

It's unfortunate for people buying older houses with plans to renovate them, a common thing in the housing market. Our bill is going to cost us around $7,000. We had to remove a ton of shit from our reno budget because of it. Personally, I think they should institute an new rule whereby thee seller of a house has to have the house inspected for Asbestos. When someone buys a house, the buyer can't cut out a sample of drywall and tear up old carpet to look for VAT as part of some sort of Subject To Inspection. In this market, Subjects put you out of the game. If there is an oil tank on the property the seller has to have it removed before selling, that is, if it is discovered.

I've heard from some people in Work Safe BC and Permit Officers that they are really gonna start clamping down on the renovation market over asbestos soon. The day is coming when you pull a permit, before construction begins, the house will have to go through a testing and if found the asbestos has to be removed by owner before construction begins. It will be the new leaky condo. Now, they just leave it up to the contractor and homeowner on the honorable system by handing you a blue flyer stuffed in with the permits and approved plans that gives you an outline on where you can find asbestos, in which most of them don't care cause it's usually the lowly labourer who is removing it. Just turn a blind eye. The homeowner and contractor only care about bottom line.
right on dude, you can't be too safe when it comes to that shyte :thumbs:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

well they are ripped out and cleaned up now- damage is done if that's what they are. If I develop lung cancer I guess we'll know why. There was not other insulation like that on pipes or anything so my fear is floor tiles and they're gone. Guess I better open the windows, ventilate and get an air filter pretty quick.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Vpete wrote:well they are ripped out and cleaned up now- damage is done if that's what they are. If I develop lung cancer I guess we'll know why. There was not other insulation like that on pipes or anything so my fear is floor tiles and they're gone. Guess I better open the windows, ventilate and get an air filter pretty quick.
Try an ionizing HEPA 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Arachnid wrote:
Vpete wrote:well they are ripped out and cleaned up now- damage is done if that's what they are. If I develop lung cancer I guess we'll know why. There was not other insulation like that on pipes or anything so my fear is floor tiles and they're gone. Guess I better open the windows, ventilate and get an air filter pretty quick.
Try an ionizing HEPA 8-)
Yeah, probably not a bad idea
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Asbestos sucks, especially when you see it flying around in the air. One of the my old employers didn't give a fuck, and I was ignorant. Anyways....

Came to ask....first time selling. Accepted an offer. Inspection coming this week. What are the mistakes sellers make when it comes to not being prepared for an inspection?
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

ODB wrote: I want to get a new top of the line furnace, air conditioning unit and a HEPA filter system installed. That part is easy! Where things get tricky is... I don't want to pay for any of it! Any ideas? Tips on how to rip off HVAC guys?!?!

:thumbs:
I just moved into a new house and realized 2 days ago that it had a HEPA filter system already installed. So, technically i didnt pay for it directly. I do have a question about it though. Should it run all the time or only when the furnace fan is running? I havent come across a users manual and this is the first one I have had the pleasure of owning.

Since I'm here, I have some other things on the go which i could use some help on. Am i better off installing a pre-made closet organiser or building shelves from melamine boards which i have in abundance?

Any other useful home hacks you guys know of?
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Rayxor wrote:
ODB wrote: Since I'm here, I have some other things on the go which i could use some help on. Am i better off installing a pre-made closet organiser or building shelves from melamine boards which i have in abundance?
Depends if you want a custom organizer and have the time and desire to DIY. If you are feeling ambitious, be sure to use a sharp blade as melamine chips really easily. You can pick up a role of edging from any home centre and they iron on with ease.

Solid report Dude, didn't know you had it in ya. :P
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Plumbing was just passed by the inspector and we're on our way to fill in and more framing along with electrical then the spray foam guys are coming!!

Last edited by Vpete on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Vpete wrote:Plumbing was just passed by the inspector and we're on our way to fill in and more framing along with electrical then the spray foam guys are coming!!

[img]<a%20href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/24806038@N ... ement"></a>[/img]

[img]<a%20href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/24806038@N ... itled"></a>[/img]

Nice professional looking work.
DeLevering since 1999.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

donlever wrote:
Vpete wrote:Plumbing was just passed by the inspector and we're on our way to fill in and more framing along with electrical then the spray foam guys are coming!!

[img]<a%20href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/24806038@N ... ement"></a>[/img]

[img]<a%20href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/24806038@N ... itled"></a>[/img]

Nice professional looking work.
somehow flickr makes posting on boards a pain in the ass!
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..that's some Mike Holmes looking reno shit right there.
DeLevering since 1999.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

donlever wrote:..that's some Mike Holmes looking reno shit right there.
Yeah- we moved the laundry area away from the central drain and sump pit to a location right near the stairs sooo... we had to rip up the concrete and run a new drain in. In this same spot we had to re-route the drain from the kitchen to run the same channel and another pipe.

So the old bathroom is in the same general spot but we are adding a shower thus there needs to be a new drain and the stack for ventilation and upstairs bathroom came right into the middle of where my new shower is going! That had to be moved. The old back water valve had to be moved out and then obviously all new PVC pipe. Done, passed, complete.

However it gets more complicated- some piping that feeds my rads upstairs would be in the shower so that had to be moved too! Waiting for MB Hydro to come and upgrade my service to 220 and move the meter outside and take out the gas meter.

I'm having a new electric boiler/furnace put in as well and all new wiring too. I have to cap the gas inside though for when we upgrade the kitchen and get the gas range! Anyhow, the guys are cooking along real fast and doing a great job.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Vpete wrote: Anyhow, the guys are cooking along real fast and doing a great job.
...fully insured and Compensation Board covered as well I trust.
DeLevering since 1999.