The dreaded mini-van conversation.

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: The dreaded mini-van conversation.

Post by donlever »

...so waddya call that white thing you drive now?

SUV?
DeLevering since 1999.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

I bought the 1999 second edition of the Honda Odyssey, I use to have an 1990 Acura Integra RS so I knew I was getting Honda quality but what I didn't expect was the performance. The first edition of the Odyssey was shit, Honda really fucked up making it the worst mini-van out there....too small, underpowered. They didn't make that mistake the second time.
That edition reinvented the idea of what a mini-van was. It started with the hideaway rear seat. Double sliding doors was a first as well but what sold it to my was the ability to cary several 4 x 8 sheets of drywall and plywood. At the time I was building a house. The power to go with it came with a 210 horse V-Tec engine that would tow anything you put behind it. The handling and performance was almost funny. Yeah pal, you wanna fucking dis me I drive a minivan?! :evil: I could beat most cars, trucks and other minivans off the line at any stoplight and passing was a breeze. Add premium fuel, more horse. My ego was more than intact 8-) . Took years for the competition to catch up and even then a newer Chrysler mini van feels like driving a turtle.

I drove the sluggish Toyota minivan and although it felt like the comfort of a Camry (I believe it was the same platform). Mazda had a nice performance but again they and Toyota did not account for real time space needs....

I'm biased towards Honda just because I had two phenomenal vehicles they built. Great value and quantity for the money (the Odyssey was 29,999 at the time, loaded, not to mention the resale....). I now have a Subaru just because I like 4 on the floor (and to dirt rally in cottage cuntry :thumbs: ).

As an asside, my dad had the first minivan ever produced. Chrysler came out with in 83/84? It was shyte. The 4 banger blew up as my dad hauled stuff for work and then it just fell apart like a K-car...
I called it The Var. Butt they started a new category. Thank the AutoGods™ I fucked a lots soccer moms in those things, try getting the pagan in a pick-up :mrgreen:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The 4Runner and Tacoma are different platforms, different suspensions and the 4Runner has a V8 option.

CFP, think about putting dogs in your car between October and May.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper wrote:The 4Runner and Tacoma are different platforms, different suspensions and the 4Runner has a V8 option.
Ahh alright then. I knew there was a V8 option, 4Runners out of the states also offer 3rd row fold down seats.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

We've had a '96 Suburban for about 8 years now - best 5 grand I've ever spent. The dogs love it, it's great for long trips, hold a ton of cargo. Not the best gas mileage, but since I live in the US, that's apparently not a concern.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Topper wrote:
ODB wrote:
CFP! wrote: (And Ohdee, we dont need a brand new Silverado all slicked up!)
:(

Yes you do! :thumbs:

Seriously....
Agree, double cab small pick up. Tacoma or Dodge, avoid the Chev, its junk. Put a canopy on the back so you have a safe place for the dogs and the interior isn't reupholstered with dog hair. You can also carry whatever larger supplies you buy. Kids get the back seat.

I believe Aaron liked his Tacoma and it worked well for his family.

I see no need for buying a buss so you can ferry everyone elses kids around.
I want a Tacoma for myself. That is my end goal but this vehicle is for the wifey and the kids and the everyday runabout. We cant afford two newer vehicles at the moment so my truck suits me fine for now but our Focus wagon is getting a little long in the tooth. But agreed, Tacoma is where its at for me.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Topper wrote:
CFP, think about putting dogs in your car between October and May.
After taking the kids to the lake in Nov-Dec one yr I got fed up with blankets and towels and smelling the shit outta the wagon. Told the wife they aren't going swimming unless its summer and they can dry off properly.

Next day she blew through 2 bills to buy this kevlar/Polysomething-flexible material to cover the back carpeted area where they sit wet and soaked. Gotta say, good investment.

And no, dags aint sitting between the captain chairs during the winter!
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

As the family expands I'm think'n TDI roomie....http://www.vw.ca/en/models/golf_wagon_2012.html

Only ever had Japanese, never a European and I do so love to drive German.... 8-)

Any VW buggers out there care to share?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

We looked at VW when we bought the wife's Matrix. Critically acclaimed, but every owner I asked complained of complicated (dealer only serviceable) and horrendously expensive repairs. As a result, we avoided Hitler's spawn.

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I'd look for a used 7 passenger: Mazda CX9, Toyota Sequoia or Highlander, Acura MDX, Nissan Pathfinder or Armada.
Can get one of these for under $18K in the 2004-2007 range.
If your wifey is dead set on getting a minivan, Odyssey or Sienna are your best choices.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:We looked at VW when we bought the wife's Matrix. Critically acclaimed, but every owner I asked complained of complicated (dealer only serviceable) and horrendously expensive repairs. As a result, we avoided Hitler's spawn.
Yeah, I've driven plenty of Matrix's as friends have them as well as rentals, they drive like a small car, nothing special. My Impreza blows it away. Too small too for a Aussie dog, two babies and a teenager....

I test drove the TDI and it's got great turbo pep, great room, I'll just lease it for 4 so I don't care about resale, repairs...

I'm done with the Pacific Hirohito demon seeds....Beamers (two wheeled variety), Benz's and FolksVanagons are in my future.... 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I have no illusions the Matrix is nothing more than a grocery getter for the wife and kid. Room enough for me to tag along.

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

SKYO wrote:I'd look for a used 7 passenger: Mazda CX9, Toyota Sequoia or Highlander, Acura MDX, Nissan Pathfinder or Armada.
Can get one of these for under $18K in the 2004-2007 range.
The Mazda is pretty decent - more of a large crossover, really. Probably a good compromise if you are dead-set against a minivan.

However, here is the great thing about minivans - they are way cheaper (at least where I live) than comparable SUVs or crossovers, there are tons of 2-3 year old vans coming off lease for sale, and they are way more useful than any truck, SUV, or crossover.

Unfortunately, I guess, they are just not cool. :)

Luckily, I am way past worrying about being cool, and refuse to pay a premium for something I don't care about. It's a hunk of metal on wheels that gets me and my stuff from A to B safely. Minivans are awesome! Especially because you can capitalize on the fact that a lot of people don't want to buy them --- buyer's market - and getting a good deal for what I need is what I care about most.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

CFP...... get yourself a one ton cube van. Put a couch in the back, a card table and a cooler. Mount a dvd player in it, bungy strap the kids to a couple comfy chairs and you are all set.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:CFP...... get yourself a one ton cube van. Put a couch in the back, a card table and a cooler. Mount a dvd player in it, bungy strap the kids to a couple comfy chairs and you are all set.
:lol: I have a buddy that had a fleet of 'em for his business. We had talked about going camping with the families to Algonquin Park....until he described your above scenario....with a satellite dish and an AC unit...

.....he has since moved on and goes to a British-style trailer park camp on the shores of Lake Erie....I was there once, like a scene out of Wall-E or a Florida retirement site....replete with customized golf carts (his has his fathers soccer club logo and colours -Portugese FC).... Me? I'm still going to the Tommy Thompson back waters with the dog, the canoe and the Eurotrash girlfriend.... I'm such a nature snob....butt I'm Pagan like that 8-)